Author Topic: Proper decent gloves  (Read 12628 times)

Re: Proper decent gloves
« Reply #50 on: 26 October, 2013, 01:49:21 pm »
For really cold weather, pogies/bar mitts are great.
It means you can wear some fairly thin gloves inside, so still able to use the gears and brakes etc.

But only really usable on flatbars
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #51 on: 26 October, 2013, 01:56:51 pm »
It means you can wear some fairly thin gloves inside, so still able to use the gears and brakes etc.

Moose Mitts http://barmitts.com/  edited to add £40 from UK dealer http://www.ajbikeequipment.com/page5.htm

For me, I find that Assos Early Winter gloves will see me comfortable to freezing, adding the liners gets me to -5C ok.  Not waterproof though.

« Reply #52 on: 28 October, 2013, 09:32:55 am »

Moose Mitts http://barmitts.com/  edited to add £40 from UK dealer http://www.ajbikeequipment.com/page5.htm
Ugh - that is a bodge. You can't use the drops at all.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #53 on: 28 October, 2013, 05:41:17 pm »
The gloves passed a pretty brutal test yesterday.

Dartmoor pre storm. Probably 2 of the worst rain showers I have ever rode in. Hands stayed toasty warm and didn't get wet at all.

Were a bit sweaty at the end though, but it was about 13 degrees, so probably a bit too warm for these gloves really.

Endura Strike gets a big  :thumbsup: from me.

« Reply #54 on: 29 November, 2018, 10:49:27 am »
I ve tried firs mitts then gloves, I can say that I am not a mitts person. I got my latest ones while on sales on <hopefully this link isn’t AstroTurf, but it has been removed anyway>, my fingers tend to get stiff with cold and I found the dope ones pretty ok for the price. I have tries on amazon, but i couldn't get my head around it  :o

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #55 on: 29 November, 2018, 05:49:27 pm »
I am tempted to give bar mitts a go versus 'gloves' i.e. neoprene jobbies that aren't snug to your hand and stay on the handlebars. They're very popular in the USA, but I've not seen them around in the UK scene.

Planet X are doing an avowedly waterproof version of their lobster glove which might be worth a crack, but fir the truly freezing cold I'd stick some bar mitts on they look about £15 off eBay.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #56 on: 29 November, 2018, 06:24:24 pm »
I am tempted to give bar mitts a go versus 'gloves' i.e. neoprene jobbies that aren't snug to your hand and stay on the handlebars. They're very popular in the USA, but I've not seen them around in the UK scene.
You could buy them direct from the USA, not cheap though, assuming for drops since flat bar ones are more common.  http://barmitts.com/

I bought some in that cold winter we had about 5 years ago.  I tried them once, just to try them out since my normal gloves are largeley adequate for me.  They lock you into riding the hoods or just behind the hoods - fine by me.  I bought ones for external cables rather than internal (Shimano clothes line versus Campag) so that I had a port hole i could open if needed.  The day I used them, a couple of degrees below freezing, I wore no gloves at all.  I found the trapped air and being out of the wind perfectly warm enough.  But where the neoprene touched my skin I did not like the feeling at all, so if/when I use them again I will wear something like silk liner gloves just to isolate me a little.

« Reply #57 on: 29 November, 2018, 08:48:46 pm »
Love my Bar Mitts when it's properly cold - I haven't found anything else that stops my fingers going numb. Also, you can keep snacks in them. ;D

« Reply #58 on: 01 December, 2018, 12:29:31 pm »
I found that my glove liners would disintegrate within a year (maybe because they were wool and I would use them with track mitts).  I'm going the route of a glove for every season and can vouch for Planet X Lobsters being waterproof and working throughout last year's snow.  They *DO* have the downside of not having removable liners, so once they start stinking you will never get rid of the smell.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #59 on: 01 December, 2018, 12:48:14 pm »
I have many gloves, but the best ones I've ever bought are Sugoi SomethingOrOthers. They are pretty light weight, so fine with Ergos (or inferior equivalents) and they are super warm and waterproofing is good. They are way too toasty for anything above about 5 degrees (for me at least), but great for really cold weather.

I've had quite a few pairs of Specialized gloves in the past, but I just feel the quality has dropped in the last 10 years or so. They seem to fall apart very quickly...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #60 on: 01 December, 2018, 09:22:37 pm »
My winter gloves are old motorcycle gloves, no longer legal for the bike over here as they don't have the relevant latest EC numbers on them (either faded away or old enough not to have them). And yes this legislation is retrospective and is a regular thing to be checked in town especially coming up to Christmas when the quotas are a bit down and poor policemen need to buy christmas presents. They are very warm but the inners tend to come out if your hands get sweaty enough.
One of the big advantages of a barbag (on the bars, not on a front rack like my touring one is) is that on cold days your hands are protected by the bag. No cold windflow= no constantly chilled fingers. 

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #61 on: 03 December, 2018, 12:12:06 pm »
That's a very interesting snippet about the mo'bike glubs. Duly noted . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #62 on: 03 December, 2018, 12:25:45 pm »

Apparently a similar ruling applies in the UK - your motorcycle gear is now PPE and needs be CE certified

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/features/product/motorcycle-clothing-the-ce-approval-law-explained

although unlike France there doesn't (yet) appear to be a law requiring the wearing of approved gloves by both rider and pillion.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #63 on: 03 December, 2018, 12:52:01 pm »
I'll be checking my jacket & pants as soon as I get home!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #64 on: 07 December, 2018, 11:50:21 am »
As a former sixteen mile commuter I know that if you want to keep your arms warm keep your body warm.  If you want to keep your hands warm then keep your arms warm. If you do not do this then its to late for gloves to help you.  If you want to keep your fingers warm keep your hand warm. (fingerless gloves do work up to a point, you will want protection from freezing rain or your metal brake levers, bar ends etc).

So to look after your hands I am claiming gloves are less important than it first appears.  So make sure you are using a decent long sleeved base layer a winter weight cycling shirt and a gilet or winter cycling jacket.

As for gloves I like Roekl because they make decent gloves and use proper gloves sizes, gloves work better when then the fit like a glove.  The S-M-L_XL  sizing is meaningless.

« Reply #65 on: 29 December, 2018, 02:54:07 pm »
If you want to keep your hands warm then keep your arms warm.

This was the biggest help for me - after years of cold hands and very padded gloves, I solved it by wearing long sleeve base layers under my winter jackets.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #66 on: 29 December, 2018, 03:19:02 pm »

Apparently a similar ruling applies in the UK - your motorcycle gear is now PPE and needs be CE certified

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/features/product/motorcycle-clothing-the-ce-approval-law-explained

although unlike France there doesn't (yet) appear to be a law requiring the wearing of approved gloves by both rider and pillion.

Eh?  The helmet is the only piece of mandatory safety equipment - that's what I was taught when I did my test a couple of years ago and I just checked the DVSA and got told the same.

« Reply #67 on: 29 December, 2018, 09:32:08 pm »
Possibly (without checking) that if you're selling gloves as (quasi-)PPE they must meet the relevant standards, but it's not mandatory to wear them?