Author Topic: [HAMR] Jan 5th  (Read 7057 times)

[HAMR] Jan 5th
« on: 05 January, 2015, 07:25:08 am »
Amazing--after riding a PBP distance so far this year Steve has been on road now since near 5:30 am it seems; superlatives on this guy and his tenacity are beginning to run out. Bon Courage Steve, and safe riding  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Re: Jan 5th
« Reply #1 on: 05 January, 2015, 07:41:45 am »
Weather forecast for today is cool but mostly dry. Getting wetter as the week progresses but staying well above freezing. If you can call 6 or 7 degrees "well above".
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #2 on: 05 January, 2015, 07:44:58 am »
Weather forecast for today is cool but mostly dry. Getting wetter as the week progresses but staying well above freezing. If you can call 6 or 7 degrees "well above".

well it`s probably one of best days weather so far this year for riding  ;D Can Steve vary his routes much to allow for forecast very windy weather at end this week ? Looks quite stormy Friday / Saturday over here (Powys, west of Worcestershire :) )
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #3 on: 05 January, 2015, 08:04:30 am »
Can Steve vary his routes much to allow for forecast very windy weather at end this week ?

Yes, he has full control over that.

As opposed to something else which he'll encounter more of today than he has done previously: traffic.
Garry Broad

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 05 January, 2015, 08:19:11 am »
To a degree, he has control over that as well. I doubt that there is another cyclist in Britain who has a better knowledge of our road system than Steve does. As he demonstrated on Saturday, he has access to East Anglia, which had lots of big gaps between the centres of population. There should be quite a few roads there which will be flat and not have a lot of traffic on them. It would be the wrong place to go if it's windy, though.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #5 on: 05 January, 2015, 10:18:02 am »
So Steve is now down on the A4 and apparently heading for the Tutti Pole  :demon: I shall watch which way he looks to return home to see if he will be passing anywhere near the office for me to try to go out and see him.

« Reply #6 on: 05 January, 2015, 11:51:09 am »
He's heading to Southend now! The dry one.  ::-)

« Reply #7 on: 05 January, 2015, 12:36:26 pm »
Heading home the way he came, therefore not coming past my office.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #8 on: 05 January, 2015, 06:52:09 pm »
The tracker doesn't seem to be showing distance at the moment, is it just me?

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #9 on: 05 January, 2015, 06:57:05 pm »
No, I can't see distance either...

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #10 on: 05 January, 2015, 07:24:23 pm »
it has been taken off - because it was "inaccurate" ie straight line between spots understates actual distance. Strava is the official distance measuring system after the daily ride is uploaded. So until Steve uploads todays ride all we know is the total as at last night plus your visual impression of todays ride. If you examine the spots you can see what time Steve started -- which will give you a clue for hours ridden.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #11 on: 05 January, 2015, 07:49:33 pm »
Did it really matter that it was inaccurate? I'd rather some idea of distance travelled in real time than wait for a Strava upload later in the evening. That's still the "official" record.

On that point I see that the Strava feed on Steves website is now in km and not miles.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #12 on: 05 January, 2015, 08:04:40 pm »
Ok. Day 5 is on Strava. 182.3 miles, giving Steve a total of 953.9 miles and an avberage of 190.8 per day so far. His daily average is 12 miles per day more than Tommy.

Martin

« Reply #13 on: 05 January, 2015, 08:14:41 pm »
a suggestion; why not rename this thread Today then we can keep updating it rather than starting a new one?

this child board is already busier than the main Audax one (as probably are the featured riders  ;))

« Reply #14 on: 05 January, 2015, 08:17:08 pm »
a suggestion; why not rename this thread Today then we can keep updating it rather than starting a new one?

this child board is already busier than the main Audax one (as probably are the featured riders  ;))

I agree. Merge all five and go for the longest thread on the forum then too.

« Reply #15 on: 05 January, 2015, 08:24:30 pm »
For what it's worth I prefer the thread-per-day approach.

Later in the year it'll be much easier to refer specific dates than one humungous thread. And the bigger the thread the bigger the chance of thread derailment.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #16 on: 05 January, 2015, 08:29:09 pm »
I prefer thread per day too.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #17 on: 05 January, 2015, 08:46:40 pm »
I like the thread per day too.....I see today that Steve went through Pangbourne & Tidmarsh, I.e. within a mile of my house...twice :thumbsup:, but I was at work, in London :'(. Hope he travels this way again one weekend....more than happy to buy him a large snack in Pangbourne ;D
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18 on: 05 January, 2015, 08:54:17 pm »
I vote for thread a day.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #19 on: 05 January, 2015, 08:54:58 pm »
I prefer the thread a day too, although mentioning Steve passing someone's third cousin once removed is a bit tedious.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #20 on: 05 January, 2015, 08:57:55 pm »
I vote for thread a day.

Yes, same here.

Small is beautiful.

Not only that it means loads of different people get to start a new thread each day. Early bird gets the worm. That's me out then.
Garry Broad

« Reply #21 on: 05 January, 2015, 09:01:41 pm »
Me too. :-)

« Reply #22 on: 05 January, 2015, 09:04:27 pm »
And me. Gives a nice sense of momentum, and of course, one trick of long distance cycling is to divide it up into manageable sections. Possibly the same applies to cheerleading long distance cycling :)

« Reply #23 on: 05 January, 2015, 09:12:47 pm »
...cheerleading long distance cycling :)

Is there a dress code?

« Reply #24 on: 05 January, 2015, 09:28:58 pm »
Cotton duck pom-poms?