Author Topic: taking the lane  (Read 11237 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: taking the lane
« Reply #50 on: 05 January, 2014, 08:13:41 am »
Sounds like you pissed him off.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #51 on: 05 January, 2014, 08:54:00 am »
In less than 50m of road. I think he was an impatient, self-righteous idiot who hadn't even considered the middle pedal.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #52 on: 05 January, 2014, 01:37:44 pm »
In less than 50m of road. I think he was an impatient, self-righteous idiot who hadn't even considered the middle pedal.

It happens sometimes. Strangely enough, it seems to happen less and less as I get older and calmer.*

(*note I resisted claiming wisdom)

Martin

« Reply #53 on: 05 January, 2014, 06:14:23 pm »
I seem to have dug myself into a hole in this thread but David's post sort of backs up what I meant in my OP; taking the lane is often a very good idea but there are knob-ends who will take umbrage so it has to be used with discretion, that's all

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #54 on: 05 January, 2014, 06:35:05 pm »
I seem to have dug myself into a hole in this thread but David's post sort of backs up what I meant in my OP; taking the lane is often a very good idea but there are knob-ends who will take umbrage so it has to be used with discretion, that's all
So are you saying David lacked discretion?  :-\
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

David Martin

« Reply #55 on: 05 January, 2014, 06:51:52 pm »
It was an unusually arrogant knobend. Don't know what his problem was. Normally I have virtually no problems. I was expecting him to wait behind for the three or four seconds to the junction.

« Reply #56 on: 05 January, 2014, 08:13:31 pm »
So are you saying David lacked discretion?  :-\

matt, I think you are trying too hard to pick an unnecessary fight, here.  I certainly didn't get that fromMartin's last post.  What I got was that even when you make a perfectly justified move you can still come up against someone who doesn't think you should have made any move at all!  I certainly didn't infer that he was getting at David.

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #57 on: 05 January, 2014, 08:27:31 pm »
I thought matt was just trying to reinforce the first 12 words
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #58 on: 05 January, 2014, 08:30:52 pm »
Ah!  Words, eh?  They get you every time!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #59 on: 05 January, 2014, 08:38:32 pm »
Let's have a trial with no words.

:thumbsup: :P ;)  :-\
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #60 on: 05 January, 2014, 08:40:33 pm »
Inferences, then.

« Reply #61 on: 10 January, 2014, 11:45:16 pm »

Out of interest how many here have experienced the phenomena of people driving stolen BMW and the like doing power slides and handbrake turns etc in the public road? That's seriously scary. There was a spate of it around here last year, and it hasn't gone away. I really wouldn't want to meet one of those whilst taking any lane (or gutter come to that)

Came across this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6M2Q24k178

Sends shivers down my spine thinking about it. Yes they sometimes "practice" on normal roads.

« Reply #62 on: 11 January, 2014, 07:01:33 pm »
Let's cheer things up a bit with this video:

http://youtu.be/dBC-nnvixHc

:)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #63 on: 11 January, 2014, 08:40:05 pm »

Out of interest how many here have experienced the phenomena of people driving stolen BMW and the like doing power slides and handbrake turns etc in the public road? That's seriously scary. There was a spate of it around here last year, and it hasn't gone away. I really wouldn't want to meet one of those whilst taking any lane (or gutter come to that)

Came across this video

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/K6M2Q24k178&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/K6M2Q24k178&rel=1</a>

Sends shivers down my spine thinking about it. Yes they sometimes "practice" on normal roads.
It's not exactly a "normal road". It might be technically a public highway but you could hardly say it was "accessible to the public" at the time... :(  >:( Perhaps we need a new sigh "Road closed for hooliganism"
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

spindrift

« Reply #64 on: 12 January, 2014, 09:03:50 am »
Jeremy ClarksonVerified account
‏@JeremyClarkson
It's middle of the road point-makers like this who make car drivers so angry about cyclists.

https://twitter.com/JeremyClarkson/status/421676710107811841

Right then, from the horses mouth so to speak.......

I was riding home from work (this is one of my regular routes) down Sloane Avenue in Chelsea towards Sloane Square. As I approached this island at the junction of Ixworth Street, a Range Rover over took me, because he had to veer left to avoid hitting the island I got pushed owards the kerb.

There was no point to this pass as there was slow moving traffic a little bit further down the road.

Now I was pretty cheesed off with this and most of you will know a close pass starts pumping adrenaline. Sloane Ave is a nice flat road and it's really easy to keep up with the trafic and just past the island I was keeping pace with the Range Rover, the driver was looking in his N/S door mirror giving the 'stare'. I admit that I was fairly vocal at this point and shouted 'What? you f*****g c**k, f****** knobstick' not much of an insult but I was too riled up to think straight.

As we approached the junction with Cadogan Street the traffic started slowing so I moved to the middle of the road to overtake. As I passed the Range Rover the window started to come down and a few words were exchanged by both of us as I passed (I can't remember what, I don't think it was as bad as the first reaction though as I tend to calm down fairly quickly). I then kept up with the traffic for the rest of Sloane Ave, and then in to Draycott Place which is quite narrow for a two way road.

I was turning right at this junction to go down to Sloane Square, so as I moved off I was positioning myself for this.

At the junction I looked behind me and saw Jeremy Clarkson just pulling up behind me with his head and arm out of the window, holding his phone and shouting 'gotcha' and looking well smug with himself. He was driving, and there was nobody else in the car. I got off my bike and pushed it back to his car and pointed out that he was overtaking me going in to a hazard, and made me change course. He just kept shouting increduously 'you were four feet from the kerb, but you were four feet from the kerb, I'm a cyclist and you were four feet from the kerb!'.

After a couple of attempts to explain to him why I thought he was wrong I gave up as he just kept shouting, I then rode off. Throughout this exchange I stayed reasonably calm.

At no time did I abuse any other road user or pedestrian on my journey home.

What JC's pic on twitter doesn't show is how much traffic was about at the time. Before I stopped at the crossing the junction was busy, and the traffic was queing all the way down to Sloane Square. I was probably well on my way to Parliament Square by the time JC got through Sloane Square. The ambulance wasn't parked either, it was moving.

Thanks for your patience reading my longest ever post!

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/jeremy-clarkson-continues-to-be-a-moron/page/3

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #65 on: 12 January, 2014, 09:09:49 am »
Shouldn't have pissed him off.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

David Martin

« Reply #66 on: 12 January, 2014, 09:45:57 am »
So Clarkson takes a picture on his mobile phone. That is an immediate fixed penalty and points. See http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2003/2695/made

The device doesn't have to be used for communication, just has to be capable of it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #67 on: 12 January, 2014, 12:06:44 pm »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #68 on: 12 January, 2014, 12:11:32 pm »
That is excellent.  Should be shown on TV.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #69 on: 12 January, 2014, 12:28:13 pm »
That is excellent.  Should be shown on TV.

+1
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #70 on: 12 January, 2014, 12:30:10 pm »
So Clarkson takes a picture on his mobile phone. That is an immediate fixed penalty and points. See http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2003/2695/made

The device doesn't have to be used for communication, just has to be capable of it.

Which is what I thought when I read

At the junction I looked behind me and saw Jeremy Clarkson just pulling up behind me with his head and arm out of the window, holding his phone and shouting 'gotcha'

red marley

« Reply #71 on: 12 January, 2014, 12:34:33 pm »
I had previously thought that The Jeremy Clarkson was just a bejeaned publicity generating DVD retailing device. But that photo and response suggests he really is a danger to himself and others with only a half-grasped idea of what skills and attitude are required to use a vehicle in shared space.

« Reply #72 on: 12 January, 2014, 12:39:33 pm »
Head and arm out of the window suggests he wasn't in proper control of the vehicle, which on the face of it - if there were witnesses and the will to prosecute - is presumably careless or even dangerous, just like driving with your hands behind your head ...

More provably, the Exif data on that pic should show what device it was taken on. I wonder if the Met's Cycle Task Force counts showing Clarkson he's an arse among its objectives.

« Reply #73 on: 12 January, 2014, 12:46:03 pm »
That photo is golden for anyone wanting to show Clarkson up as a Mr Toad. Looks like he wants to overtake a cyclist at a zebra crossing where someone has only just crossed the road and immediately before a junction where he'd have to give way, topped off by it being taken illegally.
Has he been roadsafed?

spindrift

« Reply #74 on: 12 January, 2014, 12:48:32 pm »
Wasn't sure what to make of that, I thought Clarkson was trolling, I may be wrong, he really thinks there's something wrong with the rider being there. If someone does a close pass then says "You're too far out!" it's admitting a punishment pass.