Author Topic: RAAM  (Read 5184 times)

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
RAAM
« on: 20 June, 2009, 10:03:22 am »
RAAM is on Twitter this year.  Anyone else following it?

Jure Robic is only 14 mins ahead at TS17 983 miles with an average speed of 16.51mph. He had some navigational errors on the earlier stages which has allowed Dani Wyss to catch up.

Team Rans the only recumbent team in it this year, start today.

RAAM leaderboard

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
Re: RAAM
« Reply #1 on: 20 June, 2009, 10:18:31 am »

I read somewhere that the recumbent team aims for 6 days flat  to complete RAAM  :thumbsup:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 20 June, 2009, 07:56:04 pm »
My physio (and clubmate) Ginny is supporting Ann Wooldridge, who seems to be going OK:

http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam/rcracer.php?s_N_Entry_ID=2495
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #3 on: 20 June, 2009, 11:26:51 pm »
3000miles on handcycles kin'ell!! :o :o :o

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #4 on: 24 June, 2009, 09:26:15 am »
2408 miles into the race and  only 20 minutes are separating the first two solo riders  ::-)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5 on: 24 June, 2009, 10:25:28 am »
wow Jure Robic might loose!!!!!????!!

Normally he has a several hours lead at this point

This is actually quite exciting

Tim

« Reply #6 on: 24 June, 2009, 10:33:21 am »
And the comfy bikes are currently the fastest 4 man team.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #7 on: 24 June, 2009, 10:39:41 am »
Jure Robic has been penalised 1 hour, including 15 minutes at the start for "Behavior on the part of a Racer or Crew that is deemed inappropriate and that might cause safety, legal, or reputation problems for The Race or other Racers and their Crew.". I wonder what that was.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 24 June, 2009, 10:40:42 am »
My physio (and clubmate) Ginny is supporting Ann Wooldridge, who seems to be going OK:

RAAM

Oh excellent - she's had a 15 minute penalty:

mi 39.1 Rider failed to stop at stop sign

<rolls eyes>

Sounds like they're pretty strict on this event.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #9 on: 24 June, 2009, 10:52:03 am »
excellent, Richard Newey is still going - he works with a friend who got hold of a copy of his training plan, it sounded absolutely mental, with a lot of miles on a turbo in a sauna!

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #10 on: 24 June, 2009, 02:54:50 pm »

From Twitter RAAMRace:

Ann Wooldridge crashed heading to TS30. Was taken to hospital and is still riding at the moment. She'll assess the situation soon.

At the moment she has concussion and a black eye...we'll update the progress when we can. We wish her the best!

Wooldridge is fighting on gamely. the next checkpoint 250 miles away will give an indication on if she will finish in the time period!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 24 June, 2009, 03:01:39 pm »
Eek! :(

(Must be RLJ karma)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #12 on: 24 June, 2009, 03:15:38 pm »
"Less than 1,000 miles to go for our two stand-out leaders; every hour is now crucial as it becomes practically a 72-hour pursuit"

Gods, the headology that's going to be in play right about now...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #13 on: 24 June, 2009, 04:50:09 pm »
I see there's two British blokes riding and they are still going!

Anyone know Richard Newley? Or Jim Rees?

« Reply #14 on: 24 June, 2009, 04:51:17 pm »
wasnt Jim Rees the guy the filmed last year?  Seemed a trifle obsessive, but I suppose you have to be...  He was on a turbo for the duration of the bike show at earls court.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #15 on: 24 June, 2009, 07:26:21 pm »
Wyss has overtaken Robic,  he had a p###ture!! Unlucky.

« Reply #16 on: 24 June, 2009, 09:42:15 pm »
I hope Anne Woolridge makes it.
She handed me up a slice of Melon on the North Road 24 when she was supporting Mark Cunnington once.
It's a close race at the head of the field though  :o
Less than an hour in after over 2000 miles.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #17 on: 25 June, 2009, 11:50:57 am »
22 minutes ago:

Wooldridge missed the cut off by 4 minutes but was given the all clear. She is still officially in the race. WOW!

It'll still be a big struggle to finish.

Really Ancien

« Reply #18 on: 25 June, 2009, 12:08:37 pm »
wasnt Jim Rees the guy the filmed last year?  Seemed a trifle obsessive, but I suppose you have to be...  He was on a turbo for the duration of the bike show at earls court.

Jim Rees started the Mersey Roads 24 last year, he got about 70 miles and stopped. Ann Wooldridge was part of the Triumphant Walsall Ladies team in 2003 which beat Preston Wheelers, all men, into second place, but her ride of 365 miles didn't have to count as Lynne Taylor, Marina Bloom and Tracey Maund all finished with distances over 400 miles.
2003 Results  

Damon.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #19 on: 25 June, 2009, 02:27:43 pm »
22 minutes ago:

Wooldridge missed the cut off by 4 minutes but was given the all clear. She is still officially in the race. WOW!

It'll still be a big struggle to finish.

More about Ann on the RAAM blog RAAM

« Reply #20 on: 25 June, 2009, 02:43:49 pm »
I was interested to see that Ann is using traditional toe clips and not clipless pedals.

« Reply #21 on: 25 June, 2009, 08:20:21 pm »
Ann Wooldridge was part of the Triumphant Walsall Ladies team in 2003 which beat Preston Wheelers, all men, into second place, but her ride of 365 miles didn't have to count as Lynne Taylor, Marina Bloom and Tracey Maund all finished with distances over 400 miles.
2003 Results  

Damon.

I remember passing Ann on that event. She has a very good riding style. In fact, I thought I was catching Lynne Taylor at first. If' you've ever seen Lynne Taylor ride, then you'll know what  mean by a good riding style.
That's another reason I want Ann to finish. I know that I can beat her in a 24 and I'm interested to see how she gets on in the RAAM.
But as John Spooner says, it's a very tall order now.
Good luck Ann.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #22 on: 26 June, 2009, 07:22:54 am »
Robic withdraws, Wyss finishes.

From Jure Robiè :: RAAM 2009:

Jure was the fastest cyclist on this years RAAM. On the last time check TS51, he came few minutes before Dani Wyss. Because of the penalties, issued controversially, because of the rules not aplied always in the same manner and because of not issuing penalties to others, Jure and his crew decided not to finish the race as 2nd, but step out of it on TS51.
Today it was written the history of RAAM. Jure and Dani staged the toughest fight ever and on the end the fastest didn't won.
Expect more in next days when we will be relaxing before traveling back home.

Sore loser? Has he convinced himself over the years that he is invincible, and when confronted with someone who might be capable of challenging him, he goes into denial?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #23 on: 26 June, 2009, 09:25:43 am »
Sounds like a dreadful loser, based purely on that post.

But I guess you have to put it in context - I don't imagine the rider OR the crew were exactly at their best. They may take a very different view after a couple of good nights sleep.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #24 on: 26 June, 2009, 01:04:34 pm »
I might feel a bit put out if I'd had penalties given to me and had seen penalties not being applied to my main competitor (if they were justified).  That seems to be the basis of his beef.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...