Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1000060 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #5000 on: 21 August, 2017, 03:42:27 pm »
I believe he's somewhere along this path..

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/path_through_the_US.htm

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5001 on: 22 August, 2017, 04:32:22 am »
Ah - won't be seeing anything for a bit, then!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5002 on: 27 August, 2017, 09:44:17 pm »
A polecat! In Wild Woolly Wet Welsh Wales! I now have a full house of British mustelids! Badgers: lots; otters: 4 (2 on Mull, 2 on Barra); pine marten: 1, in Co. Sligo; polecat: 1, on a minor road south of Dolfor, Powys; stoats: lots; weasels: lots. Very pleased.

Ok, the pine marten might object to being called British, but I doubt it.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5003 on: 28 August, 2017, 06:04:56 pm »
J.  That and your earlier picture look like chipmunks  (to someone who's not sure what a chipmunk looks like!).  Are you across the pond?  Florida?

Peter

Hi, the first chipmunk was in Algonquin Park, Ontario and the second one was on the interesting climb up to the Tympanogos Caves, Utah.

and yes, I was on that aforementioned path!!  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #5004 on: 28 August, 2017, 06:23:25 pm »
J.  That and your earlier picture look like chipmunks  (to someone who's not sure what a chipmunk looks like!).  Are you across the pond?  Florida?

Peter

Hi, the first chipmunk was in Algonquin Park, Ontario and the second one was on the interesting climb up to the Tympanogos Caves, Utah.

and yes, I was on that aforementioned path!!  :thumbsup:

I saw a chipmunk too, when walking up to Timpanogos Cave. In 1984  ;D ;D
Milk please, no sugar.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5005 on: 28 August, 2017, 08:22:21 pm »
It hasn't changed much! Maybe  0.01mm on a stalagthing!
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5006 on: 02 September, 2017, 11:53:51 pm »

P9020264 by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

Prairie Dog, Badlands NP, South Dakota
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5007 on: 03 September, 2017, 11:29:27 am »
The shifts appear to have left, but a surprising number of swallows down by the river.  Many more than usual.  Maybe they're gathering for the off.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #5008 on: 06 September, 2017, 10:46:36 am »
I saw a Northern Wheatear, but that was on last Saturday's cycle. Does that count?
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5009 on: 06 September, 2017, 10:58:48 am »
Monday, a couple of swallowtail butterflies mating in the befuddle. At least, that's how Firefox spells buddleia.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5010 on: 06 September, 2017, 02:34:38 pm »
A fox.

Nothing unusual there, except I saw it in the bedroom while I was lying in bed drinking tea.

Ms. P. had left the back door open while sorting out the wheelie bins. Guess it came in for the cat food.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5011 on: 10 September, 2017, 01:11:43 pm »
Yesterday, an enormous carp slurping in sliced bread that someone had chucked in the water for the ducks. The vast bulk of it gets eaten by small roach, there not being many ducks at the park at the moment.

I reckon the carp, a fully-scaled common, was well over 20lb in weight and in excess of 30 inches in length. It broke the surface several times as it fed - a spectacular sight!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5012 on: 24 September, 2017, 05:45:15 am »
Earlier in the week in Sequoia National Park: a black bear doing what black bears do in the woods when they're not doning poos, viz. looking for tasty things to put in their mouths.  I did not park in the middle of the road to take a picture of said bear - unlike a Several of dozens of other people - because I am not a fud.

The following day: a coyote.  In the middle of a residential street in Rancho Cucamonga.  Looking terrified, as well she might with motor vehicles doing 45 mph in both directions.

Last night in Eagar AZ: something low and hairy loping across the car park and going to ground under an XJ6  I didn't have my specs on so was unable to get a better ID. Built like an overclocked basset hound in a full-body wig; most likely suspects a raccoon or a chupacabra.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5013 on: 24 September, 2017, 07:08:44 pm »
A fox, a hedgehog, and several squirrels and rabbits.  Sadly, all were rather flat.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #5014 on: 24 September, 2017, 07:14:26 pm »
Red-eared terrapins, basking in the sunshine - as is their wont - by the pond in Chiswick House Gardens. There was a goose with around 9 goslings (very late chicks - they looked only a week or so old) just next to them. Mother goose was careful to keep herself ‘twixt terrapins and chicks, but was happy to rest on the ground just a few inches away.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5015 on: 25 September, 2017, 05:58:00 am »
OK, I've just seen two raccoons foraging for, er, whatever raccoons forage for in the parking lots of Walmart Supercenters, which means that whatever I saw in Eagar was way too big to have been a raccoon so was probably a chupacabra after all.  Or a badger.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5016 on: 25 September, 2017, 06:39:53 am »
4 or so buzzards flapping lazily away after being disturbed by me.  I reckon they must have been pi$$ed off at having their quiet spot disturbed, I didn't see a car for 10km down that road.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5017 on: 25 September, 2017, 08:31:15 am »
On Saturday evening early dusk on a lane in Monmouthshire near White Castle, a hare running towards me. It saw me, stopped, and ran back the way it had come before darting off into a field. Big ears, big legs, it makes running in that loppity way (but so distinct from a rabbit's) look so easy.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5018 on: 01 October, 2017, 07:54:53 pm »
A little owl sitting in a farmyard. Also lots of dragon flies and butterflies, which flew away too fast for me to identify, in the bramble hedge along the canal.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #5019 on: 14 October, 2017, 06:36:14 pm »
Three soprano pips and three Natterers bats. We were checking the bat boxes put up on the Dalmunzie Estate, at the heart of Glen Shee and probably the highest golf course in Scotland. Definitely one of the more waterlogged ones.
DSC_3628 by David Martin, on Flickr
DSC_3620 by David Martin, on Flickr
DSC_3563 by David Martin, on Flickr
DSC_3556 by David Martin, on Flickr

All bats were handled by licensed bat workers.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #5020 on: 03 November, 2017, 07:32:51 pm »
While riding passed dorney rowing lake a green woodpecker  :)
the slower you go the more you see

David Martin

« Reply #5021 on: 05 November, 2017, 08:12:55 pm »
20171104_134754 by David Martin, on Flickr
Anyone know what this is from? It is runnier and greener than it appears in the pic and is not really discrete pellets. I think it might be avian.  Finger for scale. Very large pile for such thin scat. Found in a boggy bit of Corrie Fee.

David Martin

« Reply #5022 on: 06 November, 2017, 06:15:47 pm »
On our meander up Corrie Fee on Saturday we stumbled across a fine air of antlers which had been recently cut from a kill. A few metres further on was the gralloch, still relatively fresh - red veining and no disturbance by scavengers. The Stag season ended on 20th October and there is no way it had been there since then.
Short email and photo sent to the wildlife crimes officer. Might be completely innocent - might not.

« Reply #5023 on: 13 November, 2017, 10:02:02 am »
Four grouse in a local field. Quite uncommon around here.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5024 on: 18 November, 2017, 08:20:36 pm »
Tonight's entertainment was p-p-p-pick up a p-p-p-Partridge

I was riding home from the pub, when the autopilot avoided an obstacle in the road. Delayed reaction told me it looked like a partridge, so I did a U-turn and went back for a second look. Definitely a partridge (Red-legged/French variety), so, having passed it for a second time, I turned round again and parked the bike on the verge with the standlight pointing vaguely partridge-wards, wandered over, picked it up (at which point it woke up and started trying to run), and deposited it on the verge where no following car could run it over.