Author Topic: A visit to Dog Trust  (Read 31989 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
A visit to Dog Trust
« on: 31 August, 2013, 07:25:03 pm »
Well after a few years of nagging I have finally managed to drag Peli to a place to look for a dog to have. Lots of talking to and fro over the last years - rescue or kennel dog? Listed the pro and cons about where to get it from, what kind, size etc etc etc. I have always had dogs while growing up and pretty much all my friends and family has dogs. Peli have grown up dog less - cats and horses was her thing. Though while on tour we meet plenty of lovely dogs, both wild/farm and at friends and this have turned Peli around. Luck would have it that her asthma isn't playing up while around dogs and she really likes walking them too, she even scooped the poop :)

After a lot of talking and surfing various dog related websites, we had narrowed it down to a Lurcher or Working Cocker Spaniel. So today we went, pretty much last minute, jumped into the car and went.

We arrived at Darlington Dogs Trust was greeted by great staff and went around to look at the dogs there. We found beautiful Lizzy the whippet/lurcher who we fell for right away, but sadly (for us only) she was picked by others while we where there.

Though then there was young Scrappy a "border" collie cross (crossed with what?) who came and said hallo to us - full of beans, 6 months old, gentle, lots of jumping and no big time licking. It is hard not to like her even when we said that border collies was not the dog for us. She was all over the place on the lead, though that is something we can train out of her. She will give us a run for the money on the moors, which we need :)

Now would it be wrong to go again tomorrow to say that we like to rehome this mutt?
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Re: A visit to Dog Trust
« Reply #1 on: 31 August, 2013, 07:27:27 pm »
Scrappy is lovely and we are so tempted!

But we know that border collies needs a heck of a load of exercise and entertainment, and are prepared for that. I will be working at home all the time, and Woolly currently has 3.5 days off a week. So we are going into this with open eyes.

Any advice or tips from experienced dog owners would be much appreciated. Oh, and does anyone have any ideas what Scrappy might be crossed with?

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2 on: 31 August, 2013, 07:30:07 pm »
Top tip from my dog-owning elder sister....

"Just remember who is chief wolf.  And make sure that your dog remembers it too!"

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #3 on: 31 August, 2013, 07:30:49 pm »
Looks like Scrappy is crossed with cute.

What a pretty lady!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #4 on: 31 August, 2013, 07:37:09 pm »
Yup I know that we need to be "strict" when it comes to what it can do and not do and stick with it, if it can lay on the sofa then it can lay on the sofa. I got my dog advice from my uncle who is a pro dog trainer for the Danish and Norwegian Police, Danish Guide Dogs and had a top world ranking dog in ability training and have read a fair blogs and books.

Now we just need to get fit walking :)

Yes she is darn cute.

« Reply #5 on: 31 August, 2013, 07:37:30 pm »
Scrappy looks lovely.
I would suspect the Black and Tan colouring is the best clue to the other parent since it isn't a common colour for a collie. She looks fairly dainty so something smaller than a collie. Something like a Dachshund could be that colour.

« Reply #6 on: 31 August, 2013, 07:38:12 pm »
As an ex border collie owner (here is his autobidography, optimised for 1200 baud modems), I would recommend whole heartedly, as long as you are prepared to walk them for an hour a day min. Robust, easy going, doggie smarts big time (not human like smarts, doggie smarts) and a wonderful independence of spirit like few other dogs.

You will not be sorry.

Oh, and I'd say doberman.

ETA: Feline is probably more right, but I wouldn't rule out dobey ;)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #7 on: 31 August, 2013, 07:39:34 pm »
Has mummy Scrappy been laying down on the job then :)

« Reply #8 on: 31 August, 2013, 07:44:53 pm »
Looks like you've got a friend for life. If you're ready and can give her a good home, go for it!

My dog (Bumper) is a rescue dog and he's the biggest pain in the arse I've ever known*, I don't regret getting him though. He also picked us when we visited, I think his other owners died of starvation. He must have eaten everything in the house, he has hollow legs.

As you've probably discussed together, they're a big commitment.

Hes still my best friend though and I'd do it all again.

* he's in 'the dog house' this week because he's been really naughty for various reasons. It's part of his charm though.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #9 on: 31 August, 2013, 07:58:38 pm »
Other parent could be a daschund, as above, or maybe a miniature pinscher? Or, for a bit of local flavour, a Lakeland terrier or Lancashire heeler?

It matters not, if she's 6 months old then she's not going to end up huge, and a mixture is often better than a bred-to-death pedigree, I think, in terms of their future health.

The main thing is her personality and she is still young enough to be readily trained and to lose any bad habits she might have picked up. I'm you two do easily enough walking to keep her healthy.

It's the personality that counts, so if she seems healthy, happy, good with people, then if you like her, go for it!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #10 on: 31 August, 2013, 07:59:22 pm »
She is from Ireland :)

« Reply #11 on: 31 August, 2013, 08:07:02 pm »
Yes, she's currently in the kennel with her brother, who is like her but a bit bigger and mainly white with bits of black and tan. She is very sweet-natured and couldn't wait to come to the front of the kennel to say hi. We fell for her immediately.

Unlike some of the other dogs we saw, she seems young enough not to have any 'issues'. Some of them have such sad eyes and are so nervous.  :(

So, Scrappy is:
Happy: tick.
Healthy: tick (and we'll check that further with the Dogs Trust).
Good with people (and dogs): tick.

« Reply #12 on: 31 August, 2013, 08:10:18 pm »
As an ex border collie owner (here is his autobidography, optimised for 1200 baud modems)
Ariel looks like he was a very special and talented woofie, Ham!

Ruth

« Reply #13 on: 31 August, 2013, 08:22:17 pm »
Aww you lucky things! She's gorgeous! Our dog Hudson came from Dogs Trust Sadberge.

My advice? Ignore the dog as much as possible. Read lots of books by people like the Dog Listener. And be consistent.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #14 on: 31 August, 2013, 08:23:20 pm »
A friend of mine got a Border collie puppy a few years ago, bred from two working farm dogs. It was an absolutely stupid choice. He and his partner work full time and they didn't have the time to train, exercise, entertain and stimulate a very intelligent dog that had been bred to work. It was a complete disaster and they had to rehome him on a farm within a couple of months. So yeah, if you're thinking about a collie or a collie cross, you have to have the time and energy to give them what they need.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #15 on: 31 August, 2013, 09:09:42 pm »
She is from Ireland :)

Ah. *Tries to think of wee black and brown Irish dogs*

« Reply #16 on: 01 September, 2013, 11:32:26 am »
We're off to visit the Dog's Trust again. Let's see how the second meeting goes!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #17 on: 01 September, 2013, 12:45:33 pm »
We're off to visit the Dog's Trust again. Let's see how the second meeting goes!

Good luck

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #18 on: 01 September, 2013, 04:14:41 pm »
Now where can one get poo bags and a crate etc before Saturday? :)

« Reply #19 on: 01 September, 2013, 04:23:41 pm »
Basket or bed, not crate! But well done and congratulations
:-)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #20 on: 01 September, 2013, 06:16:26 pm »
There will be a bed too, but a crate to move her about in the car.

« Reply #21 on: 01 September, 2013, 06:21:00 pm »
Yes, I always thought a crate sounded cruel but the Dog's Trust recommended it, to give her security seeing as she's only young. And we've seen Auntie Helen's Poppy who loves hers.

Scrappy was very pleased to see us, and did a lot of wagging and cuddling and generally Being Happy. 

Now we just have to find a name! (Scrappy, says my mum, sounds too much like 'Crappy'.) A shortlist is being drawn up.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #22 on: 01 September, 2013, 06:30:07 pm »
Doberman cross?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #23 on: 01 September, 2013, 06:38:06 pm »
Crappy kinda fitted her today since she was a bit of doodoo in her fur, she will get a good scrub when she arrives. Picking her up next Saturday after we have had a half an hour Adult talk/introduction.

« Reply #24 on: 01 September, 2013, 06:53:46 pm »
Doberman cross?
The dog home said not Doberman since she's so little. Possibly Dachsund. They don't expect that she will grow more than an inch or so more. She's a little 'un.