Author Topic: More potential Garmin 800 issues.  (Read 2288 times)

More potential Garmin 800 issues.
« on: 28 November, 2013, 11:46:16 pm »
You may recall that I got a replacement unit when my original Garmin 800 started freezing or turning off. (https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=69890.0)

The new one now seems to be having issues with the display.
I noticed it yesterday but hoped it was because the batteries were low on a fairly cold day.
Sadly, no, it's been doing the same thing tonight.
As the ride progressed the "map" screen started going black at the bottom. It was only a few mm at first and it was intermittent, a kind of flash with a frequency of about 1Hz. Further into the ride, more of the screen was affected and, by the end I'd say 75% was "flashing".
It was only on the map screen, all the others were fine and the data at the top of the map screen (HR and cadence atm) were unaffected.

When I get chance, I'll update the firmware although I can see a further trip to Evans and an arguement being in my future.

Before I complain that I've had 4 Garmin units (2 were replacements) and all are/were faulty, does anyone have any ideas what's going wrong/had similar experience ?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: More potential Garmin 800 issues.
« Reply #1 on: 28 November, 2013, 11:52:58 pm »
The symptoms you describe sound like a hardware fault.

Consumer grade hardware has become much less reliable since lead-free solder became mandated.

By all means, try updating firmware.
But don't hold out any hope.

« Reply #2 on: 28 November, 2013, 11:58:18 pm »

But don't hold out any hope.

I don't.

Do you think that I should hold out for a refund since I've (probably) had 2 failures in ~9 months and I've no confidence that a replacement will be any better ?

« Reply #3 on: 29 November, 2013, 06:56:04 am »
Are the maps on the micro-card?

If yes, take it out and rub the gold with a pencil eraser.

Make sure there’s no bits of eraser, replace the card.

Repeat a couple of times.

Its worth a try.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #4 on: 29 November, 2013, 08:34:41 am »

Its worth a try.

And, while the micro SD card is removed, fire up the map page. You'll only get Garmin's basic mapping (which is very sparse), but you'll be able to work out if the problem is with the card or with the device.

« Reply #5 on: 29 November, 2013, 09:01:34 am »

Its worth a try.

And, while the micro SD card is removed, fire up the map page. You'll only get Garmin's basic mapping (which is very sparse), but you'll be able to work out if the problem is with the card or with the device.

Yes. I'd forgotten Garmin have a crappy 'base-map'.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #6 on: 29 November, 2013, 01:43:38 pm »
It does sound as though the processor's running slow.  Hardware fault.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #7 on: 01 December, 2013, 07:20:37 pm »
Good suggestions; many thanks  :thumbsup:
I've tried them all and it's made no difference.

Since I was in town earlier, I called into Evans to pick their brains. It's not something that they've come across before so I need to take it back and they'll send it off to Garmin.
Unfortunately, the screen issue isn't visible when the unit is stationary; it only happens when it's moving.

I'm assuming that Garmin will give me another unit. Should I hold out for a refund since I have no confidence that a replacement will last longer than a few months ?

« Reply #8 on: 04 December, 2013, 06:06:34 pm »
Bastard machine.
It gave problems during today's ride (the screen gradually going black) but it seemed to recover during the train journey back to MCR.
I rode around a bit to see if it would start misbehaving but it didn't so there was no point going into Evans to show them........

« Reply #9 on: 05 December, 2013, 06:59:47 am »
I've said before.

GPS means "Goddamned Piecea Shit."

« Reply #10 on: 01 January, 2014, 10:00:31 pm »
A further update:-
After behaving perfectly since I last reported (yes, really), it started doing the "flashing" thing at the bottom of the screen on Monday's grim slog around Cheshire.
After my stop at Costalot Coffee where I took the bastard machine unit into the warm it behaved perfectly and it was fine today.
I'm beginning to think it's a temperature/battery issue since it "recovers" after being warmed up (train journey on 04-12, cafe on 30-12).
There were no issues* on the Winter Solstice audax on 22-12 but I had it plugged into a Technet for the whole day (>12hrs) and it did get cold.

*"Route" line and roads weren't always visible on the same screen at times unless I zoomed out a lot.

My summary: Garmin 800, it's fucking useless not as good as it could be.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #11 on: 01 January, 2014, 10:04:16 pm »
Try taking a photo of the screen when it's showing the fault, to then email to Garmin.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #12 on: 01 January, 2014, 10:28:36 pm »
Try taking a photo of the screen when it's showing the fault, to then email to Garmin.

I've thought of that but it only happens when the bike is moving and the screen flashes between "full" and "partial".
My camera has a video setting so I'll give it a go.
Riding one-handed, looking at a camera display; what could possibly go wrong ?  ;D

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #13 on: 01 January, 2014, 10:55:06 pm »
Almost as bad as operating a touch-screen GPS ...
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #14 on: 02 January, 2014, 09:09:51 am »
Almost as bad as operating a touch-screen GPS ...

with wooly gloves on,,,   ;)