Author Topic: My stolen bike  (Read 6773 times)

ABlipInContinuity

My stolen bike
« on: 29 June, 2008, 11:03:29 am »
I saw it today. Went to pick up some breakfast from McDonalds at 7am. I locked my bike up and did a double take when I saw a bike the same make and model as the one I had stolen. I walked up to it and saw the datatag sticker still on it which confirmed my suspicions. By this time the "owner" had made his way of out of the restaurant to me. My reaction was to tell him it was my bike and ask him where he got it. He claimed he paid £65 and was adamant it wasn't stolen. And not very friendly with it. I pointed out the datatag sticker. I asked him if it had occured to him that the bike was stolen, given that it's worth many times that. I told him to leave it whilst I called the police and got it settled. All this was quite pointless really as the scum bag knew it was nicked. I should have taken the initiative up front and ridden off on it.

The scum bags desire to get away with the bike was so strong the guy assaulted me. Someone else (the manager of the McDonalds) held me back (for my own safety) and the guy made away on it. Somewhere during the event he had dropped an after shave container with a brand new watch in it.

The police took ages to answer the phone. I was trying to at least keep hold of the bike until they arrived.

The police have taken details and they have some CCTV footage.

I'm not even that fussed about getting the bike back. I just don't like the idea that someone else has the privilege of using it.

I saw yesterday alongside the A57 close to the junction with the A6010 a shiny new black Felt hybrid bought from Evan's cycles - the shop sticker was on the seat tube. It had black SKS mudguards, shimano acera rear mech. and a rear light fitted. The kid riding it said he had bought it off some kid. Some woman, presumably his mother told me to f-off and mind my own business. I passed some plod in a queue at some traffic lights and let them know. I saw the kid still on the bike on my way back home later on.

There's no point even been angry about it. But I do get annoyed. The thing that annoys me most is that these kids don't care. They don't care that they maybe depriving people of basic transport and therefore freedom.

Re: My stolen bike
« Reply #1 on: 29 June, 2008, 11:30:22 am »
Oh, that's rough.  It must be horrible to see your own bike sitting there and not be able to stop somebody taking it again.  I think what annoys me so much is that the police don't seem to care.  If it were a stolen car, it might be a different story.    >:(

Next time, put your own lock on it. 

« Reply #2 on: 29 June, 2008, 01:03:56 pm »
Oh, that's rough.  It must be horrible to see your own bike sitting there and not be able to stop somebody taking it again.  I think what annoys me so much is that the police don't seem to care.  If it were a stolen car, it might be a different story.    >:(

Next time, put your own lock on it. 

That's exactly what I was thinking. Now Daniel knows where the sb hangs out he may get another opportunity to do just that if he keeps his eyes open.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

gonzo

« Reply #3 on: 29 June, 2008, 01:16:39 pm »
That's utterly disgusting and morally corrupt.

What was the rest about though? Sorry, I never got any further than the McDonalds for breakfast bit!

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #4 on: 29 June, 2008, 02:05:48 pm »
Plus of course a hefty D lock has other potential uses.

Rob S

« Reply #5 on: 29 June, 2008, 04:43:08 pm »
If you had your own bike with you why not follow him and see if he went home or to work etc

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #6 on: 29 June, 2008, 06:39:27 pm »
If it were a stolen car, it might be a different story.    >:(
I doubt it. In fact stolen cars probably get less interest from the old bill.

Steal a £25,000 car, get an asbo.

Fail to pay your £1000 council tax, get 6 months in the pokey!    >:( >:( 
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7 on: 29 June, 2008, 11:03:43 pm »
Dan. I'm worried. This is me being worried, OK?

I'm worried about you. Let me explain. I know you had your bike nicked. I know they beat up your girlfriend while they nicked your bike but I'm really scared that you are going to put yourself in an impossible position - over a bike.

As I see it you have several choices.

1. Move on. This involves adopting a blinkered and somewhat typical attitude for Manchester - and especially that salubrious shithole area you now call home - draw no attention and do unto others before they get the f***ing chance! Find somewhere to live that doesn't include Gorton, Longsight, Levenshulme or anywhere else that's a serial killers dream . . . (In all seriousness - some areas are still quite nice)

2. Make a stand. Play into the hands of these guys. They will end up knowing who you are, where you live, who your friends are - all about you. They are scum, they possess nothing and have nothing that is of any interest to you and yours. They have the power to kill you or leave you bleeding in a back alley somewhere and they have no conscience, compunction or character.

The only true solution is a Transit with false plates, shotguns and a trip to a very cold dark and deep lake but it ain't gonna happen. (I can't get cheap vans and the guy who used to supply the shooters is mental and can't get them any more - allegedly)

Please understand this. The Police do not give a shit. They are not interested in nicking the scrotes who nicked your bike. They are not interested in the recovery of your bike. They will, conversely, become very interested in nicking you if you become a nuisance to them. If you appear on their radar then they will become your enemy as much as the scrotes who nicked your bike and hurt your girlfriend.

If you can't live with it - move. If you can't stomach these shitheads - move. Don't look at it as a defeat - look at it from the point of view that if you didn't you could end up being reduced to their level. Look at it from the point of view that you CAN. "Up yours!" I'm offski! Go - and never look back.

Sorry if this makes me sound like a Jewish mother.

luv'n'stuff

John
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Karen Sutton

« Reply #8 on: 29 June, 2008, 11:23:21 pm »
Dan,
I agree with John.  I've been worried about you in Gorton since I last saw you a few weeks ago.  You need to get out.  I know your gf works there but surely there is somewhere you can go that isn't too far for her to travel to work?

Karen

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #9 on: 29 June, 2008, 11:31:05 pm »
Torslanda appears to have confused bike theives with supervillains.  Good luck with the cops, it'd be great to get the bike back. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #10 on: 30 June, 2008, 12:33:00 am »
John, Karen,

After the robbery we are already known to the kids involved and their parents. We've had harassment without provocation. It's been a case of ignoring it and getting on with our lives. It's either that or effectively live as prisoners in our own home. I'm not going to be intimidated by them. I'll avoid dark alleys and watch my back.

We won't be extending the lease on the house in Gorton. It expires shortly. We are looking at houses in south Manchester.

Thanks

Dan

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11 on: 30 June, 2008, 02:54:41 am »
When I saw somebody riding my stolen bike, I wound down the passenger window and told them to stop riding my bicycle, all the while drifting towards the gutter.  I was quite willing to continue onto the footpath to stop him.  He stopped, we went to police.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #12 on: 30 June, 2008, 12:45:47 pm »
Whilst John and Karen sound very sensible on this, if it was me and I saw it again, I'd at least disable it.  Nick the skewers, cut the cables, deflate the tubes, anything you can get away with to give the scumbag a bad day.  After all, they're hardly going to call the cops...

I think getting into a stand-off and/or following said scumbag is where it all gets a bit dangerous though.

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

« Reply #13 on: 30 June, 2008, 12:48:13 pm »
Was the bike insured and, if so, did you make a claim and get some money?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #14 on: 30 June, 2008, 12:49:22 pm »
Nick the skewers, ...

Perhaps you could steal it back one part at a time!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #15 on: 30 June, 2008, 12:50:04 pm »
It's possible that the current custodian of the bike is a victim too. The scum-bags do the nicking, pass them to someone else to do the selling (someone with an outwards air of respectability) and they may have paid a reasonably price for a decent bike in all innocence.

Of course, it does not work like this in all cases but ask yourself this: would you swap your life for theirs? Nicking bikes is about as good as it gets for them.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #16 on: 30 June, 2008, 01:32:00 pm »
IME no one seems to care if you do steal the bike back.

Mid 90s I bought the wife a new mountain bike for her birthday - 6 weeks later it was stolen from outside her office window despite being locked >:(

Insurance paid up.

Month or so later I was walking through town and saw it leaning on some railings - I could identify it as I'd customised it with some stuff only available in Canada. Tried calling the police but they didn't want to know

'No officers available and we can't do anything anyway'

So I smashed the lock off it and rode it away (In broad daylight - no one batted an eyelid). Phoned the insurance co. to say it had been 'recovered' and did they want it? - No was the answer - keep it.

So she ended up with 2 bikes.

I did think whether I was compounding things by stealing some innocent 3rd parties bike but as the new 'owner' had replaced the front wheel with a cheap crappy one and left the front brake disconnected I figured I was doing them a favour.

You'll all tell me I'm a very bad person now :'(
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #17 on: 30 June, 2008, 01:35:25 pm »
Pete, I think you did the right thing.  I've had the argument with a few people who would never consider stealing a bike, but would happily pay fifty quid for a bike from some bloke in a pub.  Worst of all, they don't see the connection between the two things.

You could have left a note saying that it had been recovered by its rightful owner.  That might have made your point.

bobajobrob

« Reply #18 on: 30 June, 2008, 01:41:54 pm »
It's a tricky one because the new owner could have bought it in good faith. I'd still be tempted to take it back though,

« Reply #19 on: 30 June, 2008, 02:28:13 pm »
It's a tricky one because the new owner could have bought it in good faith. I'd still be tempted to take it back though,

It's still stolen, and still belongs to the original owner. You might feel slightly sorry for somebody who's bought in good faith, but that's their problem, unfortunately...

In this case, since Pete had tried to involve the Police, presumably they would be able to bring the parties together if the second 'owner' reported it stolen. So presumably, he didn't report it - we might draw our own conclusions.  ;D

I'd say Pete was right to re-claim it - but like the OP he was taking a bit of a risk doing so...
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

bobajobrob

« Reply #20 on: 30 June, 2008, 02:31:45 pm »
I'd say Pete was right to re-claim it - but like the OP he was taking a bit of a risk doing so...

Agreed. It's a shame that someone might lose out onna bike they bought in good faith, but stolen bikes are usually sold very cheaply, so chances are the new owner knew it was nicked. I was offered a stolen bike recently, a Giant hybrid roughly 3-400 GBP new value for a tenner. I declined.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #21 on: 30 June, 2008, 03:05:17 pm »
It's a tricky one because the new owner could have bought it in good faith.

Yeah, well, he can take that up with the bloke inna pub he bought it off.  Not my problem.  If it's my bike, it's coming home with me.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

bobajobrob

« Reply #22 on: 30 June, 2008, 03:44:17 pm »
I agree with you. I'd take it back too. It's just that it forces you commit an act of theft, even if it's your bike.

Kathy

« Reply #23 on: 30 June, 2008, 03:47:16 pm »
What are the rules on "citizens arrest"? Could you somehow use that to detain the person who is handling stolen goods (your bike) and the evidence (your bike) until a policifer arrives?

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #24 on: 30 June, 2008, 03:50:51 pm »
I agree with you. I'd take it back too. It's just that it forces you commit an act of theft, even if it's your bike.

It is not an act of theft. The chap who 'bought it off a bloke in the pub' has not legally purchased it, nor legally owns it. Despite whatever 'good faith' he may have had.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes