Author Topic: It's a wonderful life  (Read 15168 times)

Re: It's a wonderful life
« Reply #25 on: 30 April, 2015, 03:20:03 pm »
The history of the cycling fora is all very Game of Thrones

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #26 on: 30 April, 2015, 03:25:15 pm »
The history of the cycling fora is all very  makes Game of Thrones look like The Archers in comparison

FTFY  ;D

sam

« Reply #27 on: 30 April, 2015, 03:32:19 pm »
I've started cycling no handed on some of the quiet parts of my commute.

It's a marvelous feeling, isn't it? Early this morning (or late last night, depending how you look at these things) I let hands slip from handlebars as often as I could get away with. It's a tad iffy; I met a badger, a deer, and a fox along the way, and I wouldn't have liked to give any of them grief, or to become roadkill myself.

I think I picked that up from riding behind you on a wet Dunwich Dynamo  :P

Happy to provide a slipstreaming service. It's the ideal posture to aid those riding behind.

topical @1.42
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/r_QZyWs-MaQ&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/r_QZyWs-MaQ&rel=1</a>

[am rumaging around in my GoT folder for a suitable illustration]

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 30 April, 2015, 03:35:04 pm »
I've been trying to stay out of this because, as a mere newbie of about 6 years, I never experienced ACF or C+ or any of that stuff.  To me, this is just a corner of the internet that I was introduced to by some people on a bike ride[1] I heard about on uk.rec.cycling, and liked enough to hang around.  I'm vaguely aware of some of the back-story, as a couple of people have been kind enough to clue me in over the years, but none of that affected me directly, so I reckon I can safely ignore it.

What I see from my position of mostly ignorance, is someone popping up at irregular intervals who's obviously liked and respected by a great many of the people here, elsewhere and no longer with us, whose judgement I tend to give weight to.  I see wry humour, a love of photoshop and thinly veiled references to a pre-history a lot of people I consider friends would rather forget.  I see a lot of flamboyant un-lurks but don't really see someone attempting to be an active part of this community.

I don't think *we* have any baggage, so I have no reason not to like you, but I'm still waiting to see a person to like.  How about joining in discussing bikes, or rides, or CAKE, or gadgets, or wildlife, or UKIP, or 'Go Steve!' or something?  If you're not here to do that, then - other than to provoke a reaction - I'm not sure why're you're here.

[1] FRNttC.  You may have heard of it.  We may even have met on one.

ian

« Reply #29 on: 30 April, 2015, 03:37:53 pm »
It's the internet. If you don't like, ignore. I've been ignoring myself for years.

« Reply #30 on: 30 April, 2015, 03:52:48 pm »

[am rumaging around in my GoT folder for a suitable illustration]

Most see your historic actions as that of the Mad King. I don't think he was ever pictured in the show  ;D

« Reply #31 on: 30 April, 2015, 04:09:14 pm »
I see a lot of flamboyant un-lurks but don't really see someone attempting to be an active part of this community.

But he did for a bit.  He just decided to do another flamboyant un-lurk and deleted all the more normal posts first. 

My memory, a google search or a review of posting statistics graph compared to the current number (7) confirms this.  It's like a shadow flitting about the place.  Which makes it slightly more weird and difficult to just ignore.

« Reply #32 on: 30 April, 2015, 04:16:36 pm »
Nice to see how welcoming some folk are.
Well, some of us have never had any clashes with Sam - until he just claimed to be special, unlike anyone else, & having more baggage than everyone else combined. Given what little I know of the history (I was around for some of it, but completely uninvolved), this is pretty obviously more of the same, & as you can tell, it pisses me off mightily. He destroyed his own fora - well, they were his, so that was up to him. But yacf isn't his, & regardless of its origins, owes almost nothing to him nowadays, with most members (even including many people regarded as old-timers & major contributors) never having been on his fora.

As far as I'm concerned, he's welcome here, under the same terms as everyone else. But from his recent posts, he seems to have difficulty accepting the 'same as everyone else' part of it.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #33 on: 30 April, 2015, 04:18:54 pm »

:-X :demon:
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

ian

« Reply #34 on: 30 April, 2015, 04:27:18 pm »
It's like alt.bigfoot but without the fur and mysterious footprints.

« Reply #35 on: 30 April, 2015, 04:30:57 pm »
It's the internet. If you don't like, ignore. I've been ignoring myself for years.
Prior to that, did you have a period of arguing with yourself? It's less embarrassing than being caught arguing with yourself while walking down the street (not that I'm talking from experience, oh, no).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

sam

« Reply #36 on: 30 April, 2015, 04:32:29 pm »
It's like alt.bigfoot but without the fur and mysterious footprints.

I'm a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma underneath a cagule of doubt. More to follow...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #37 on: 30 April, 2015, 04:32:59 pm »
It seems that newbies (other than spammers) are allowed more time (and tolerance) to find their feet in YACF than is given to anothersam, at least by some folk here. Their reactions show that anothersam does have more baggage here than most, otherwise they wouldn't react so strongly so quickly.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #38 on: 30 April, 2015, 04:35:34 pm »
Really? He's had years.

And until he started stirring it up, as far as I could see his baggage was being ignored, & would continue to be ignored, if he didn't insist on shouting about it.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #39 on: 30 April, 2015, 04:53:14 pm »
I was involved in telling the trolls at the C + forum to move along, Ithankyou. Not crucial or central, just rather vocal on occasions. We ended up with Sam, in the end. The rest is acrimonious history.

My attitude is simple. I like Sam. I have never had a problem with him. I don't agree with what happened to ACF, but it happened. I try very hard to see the individual behind the actions. I understand how some people feel. I take no sides here.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #40 on: 30 April, 2015, 05:01:11 pm »
I see a lot of flamboyant un-lurks but don't really see someone attempting to be an active part of this community.

But he did for a bit.  He just decided to do another flamboyant un-lurk and deleted all the more normal posts first. 

My memory, a google search or a review of posting statistics graph compared to the current number (7) confirms this.  It's like a shadow flitting about the place.  Which makes it slightly more weird and difficult to just ignore.

And deleting posts wholesale is a distinctly anti-community act.

It seems that newbies (other than spammers) are allowed more time (and tolerance) to find their feet in YACF than is given to anothersam, at least by some folk here.

What makes you think anothersam should be treated as a newbie?

tom_e's search above shows that Google cache still remembers 50-odd posts from him over the past two years. Dipping into them suggests they are normal, active participation in the community - as Kim suggests - without any apparent intolerance in response.

The fact he's chosen to delete them and post rambling, stream-of-consciousness "flamboyant un-lurks" in a look-at-me fashion is at best odd. It's not surprising people who know who he is and know about the history react to this behaviour: it puts my back up, and I've got no knowledge of him, and absolutely no C+ or ACF history or baggage whatsoever.

Anyway, there are better things to be reading, and on this very board.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #41 on: 30 April, 2015, 05:22:37 pm »
It seems that newbies (other than spammers) are allowed more time (and tolerance) to find their feet in YACF than is given to anothersam, at least by some folk here. Their reactions show that anothersam does have more baggage here than most, otherwise they wouldn't react so strongly so quickly.
People are not reacting to Sam being here. They are reacting to him behaving as if being here is really difficult and problematic and issue-filled. If he just got on with posting normally, people would react normally.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #42 on: 30 April, 2015, 06:21:04 pm »
Fuck me, it's Banquo's ghost.

Anyway, welcome back. Despite dating back to pre-history (uk.rec.cycling, ucuk, c+, and acf), I missed all the drama. Went away from acf on a business trip and returned to find everyone gone. Eventually found this place and simply carried on as I had before (but with more smileys).

Welcome, Sam.

sam

« Reply #43 on: 30 April, 2015, 06:30:31 pm »
I'm still gathering my thoughts, trying to decide which is the better course of action: diving more deeply into this can of worms I've opened, or posting "normally" (well, normal for me), e.g.:

am rumaging around in my GoT folder for a suitable illustration

Not great in the apropos department, but the best I could do on short notice. It's from a helmet thread I started elsewhere. Helmets of course being only slightly less contentious than the subject at hand.

Hiya Pancho.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #44 on: 30 April, 2015, 06:48:59 pm »
If you dive into a can of worms (it must be a big can) you end up covered in worms.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #45 on: 30 April, 2015, 06:49:46 pm »
Wot Steph said.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #46 on: 30 April, 2015, 08:51:02 pm »
Seems 'Putting the Why in YACF' is no longer directly accessible.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #47 on: 30 April, 2015, 09:12:14 pm »
The fact he's chosen to delete them and post rambling, stream-of-consciousness "flamboyant un-lurks" in a look-at-me fashion is at best odd. It's not surprising people who know who he is and know about the history react to this behaviour: it puts my back up, and I've got no knowledge of him, and absolutely no C+ or ACF history or baggage whatsoever.

You should modify that to "some people who know who he is and know about the history react to this behaviour" Several folk know all of it and don't get their noses bent out of joint by some florid posts. Why do others take it so personally as jump hard on somebody with both feet?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #48 on: 30 April, 2015, 09:30:50 pm »
I thought "some" was implicit, but feel free to read it in if you want, and if you feel it clarifies the fact I wasn't intending to generalise to everyone.

Seems 'Putting the Why in YACF' is no longer directly accessible.
Google cache remembers, for the moment.
most people still seem to be treating me like a leper
Oh, the humanity.

« Reply #49 on: 30 April, 2015, 09:31:59 pm »
^
^
This.
The controversy, right or wrong, was more than seven years ago, FFS.
If I'm struggling with anything, it is those who have never encountered  an exchange with Sam in RL  or otherwise or acf..
How can you be so angry?
Why?
Where does that come from?
I'm not sure I really care. FWIW.
Cycling makes me more chilled out than I probably ought to be....

Welcome, Sam.