Author Topic: Anyone have any recommendations for elbow protection?  (Read 3353 times)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
Anyone have any recommendations for elbow protection?
« on: 31 August, 2016, 09:32:25 am »
Hi,

Had an off yesterday when the font tyre blew at 20mph on my Performer SAKI 700c on very rough tarmac on a country lane in deepest Shropshire. Then all sorts of logistical problems getting medical help and self and (undamaged!) bike home,  I'm thinking of wearing elbow protection. I could have changed the tube and ridden home had it not been for a missing bit of elbow, shock and a lot of blood.  So, no audax this weekend either.  Without the elbow damage I could have ridden on.

So,  anyone tried these and anyone any particular advice?

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
Re: Anyone have any recommendations for elbow protection?
« Reply #1 on: 31 August, 2016, 09:56:23 am »
Unless you have a specific vulnerability I'd suggest it's almost impossible to anticipate and mitigate against such injuries without kitting yourself out in full body armour. By the time you've eliminated the risk to your elbows other areas at equal danger of injury will feel exposed and will probably take the next hit anyway.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2 on: 31 August, 2016, 10:21:21 am »
would the outcome have been significantly different on an upwrong?

For me, the most useful time for elbow pads is early in the learning curve when you might have failure to launch, or a slow speed stall when coming to a halt. I think your incident was "just one of those things" as they say.  Perhaps a more robust tyre is the answer?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #3 on: 31 August, 2016, 10:30:34 am »
Early in the learning curve? That's me! 
So, to answer the op, what should we be looking for in elbow pads?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 31 August, 2016, 10:53:59 am »
I have some extremely cheap elbow pads from a CRC sale, which I've used early in the learning curve along with full-finger gloves, tatty old shorts and shoes that cover the ankle bone a bit to ensure that I don't fall off.  As such they've never actually been tested.

But a blowout isn't a learning curve problem, it's a tyre problem.  I wouldn't wear elbow pads to protect against that.  And I say that as someone with an elbow that's Not Quite Right after being bashed several times in falls (mostly from upwrongs, on loose surfaces).  My preferred approach to *that* is, where possible, to use an appropriate bike with appropriate tyres for off-road riding.

« Reply #5 on: 31 August, 2016, 10:56:48 am »
velomobile?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6 on: 31 August, 2016, 10:59:28 am »
Completely agree with the above however there are elbow protectors you can buy BMX, Ice Hockey etc and if you are only going to ride in the dry get a tailor to sew some leather patches onto the sleeves in the right place.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #7 on: 31 August, 2016, 11:09:24 am »
Umayyad be overkill but look at mountain bike elbow pads?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8 on: 31 August, 2016, 12:07:30 pm »
Elbow protectors as used by MTB'ers, BMX'ers, sk8ter d00dz etc are in common use at BHPC race meetings.  Just make sure they don't migrate away from your elbow when they're required.  DAMHIKT.

You will get a very silly sun tan ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #9 on: 31 August, 2016, 05:31:45 pm »
Elbow protectors as used by MTB'ers, BMX'ers, sk8ter d00dz etc are in common use at BHPC race meetings.  Just make sure they don't migrate away from your elbow when they're required.  DAMHIKT.

You will get a very silly sun tan ;D

That's interesting - many thx for the replies.  If the BHPC guys wear something that makes it 'legit' in my view.  I've been looking at the MTB kit and some of it seems way OTT for my needs and probably not a good fit with the arm position on hamster bars.  I used decorator's knee pads on my elbows when I was learning to launch on my 20/26 Performer a couple of years ago, but no way would they have stayed in place yesterday. 

FWIW the tyres are fine, Continental Hardshells in good condition - not looked at the tube yet - Michelin.  Still befuddled by Co-Codamol and very stiff from the shock.

I can appreciate responses along the lines of 'do nothing and live with it', but at 62 I'm becoming to realise that I'm no longer 21 and take longer to mend.  I got away with it yesterday, next time I might not be so lucky, so if I can bend the odds a bit more in my favour I will try.  I'm looking for something a bit less like a Star Wars storm trooper and something more understated!  Hence my OP.

Many thx to all.

« Reply #10 on: 31 August, 2016, 08:22:05 pm »

FWIW the tyres are fine, Continental Hardshells in good condition - not looked at the tube yet - Michelin.  Still befuddled by Co-Codamol and very stiff from the shock.

Hope you get well sooner rather than later! 

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #11 on: 31 August, 2016, 09:07:36 pm »
If the BHPC guys wear something that makes it 'legit' in my view.

Elbow pads de rigeur for Mike Burrows:

Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 31 August, 2016, 09:18:18 pm »
I'm not sure that Mike Burrows doing something necessarily means it's a good idea ;)

But yes, races - like learning a new 'bent - are exactly the sort of situation where elbow pads make sense for everyone.

Those ones look a bit more practical than the ones I've got, which are basically arm-warmers with a piece of reinforced closed-cell foam sewn into them.  They'd probably work as shin pads for a 12 year old.  Fine for occasional short sessions, but not the sort of thing you'd want to wear for prolonged rides.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #13 on: 03 September, 2016, 11:28:41 am »
Update.....

Cause of blowout was failure of tube over a spoke hole.  In fact there were >10 slits over about a 300mm length, so I suspect one went then the rest were caused as I ran over the gravel in the middle of the road on a flat tyre, the gravel that I had been studiously avoiding a millisecond earlier.

Schwalbe blue plastic rim tape, done maybe >3000 miles.  Deflected into each spoke nipple hole by maybe 3mm.  Tyre (was) in perfect condition.  Mavic OpenSport 32H rim.   Tyres usually run at 80-90 psi so less than max recommended inflation pressure (120 psi).

Tyre (Conti Hardshell) now  badly scuffed on sidewall so will be binned.  Will fit new Velox rim tape (as on the rear wheel).

Go check your rim tapes......

Elbow protectors ordered......

« Reply #14 on: 03 September, 2016, 02:23:32 pm »
Um, unless a spoke is protruding slightly I cannot understand why a puncture  would occur over a spoke hole as surely even if run extremely under pressure a pinch flat would be the result, please enlighten me (Kim to the "plate" please)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 03 September, 2016, 02:50:15 pm »
Beats me.  I've got that Schwalbe tape on a few tyres (at ~80 and ~100PSI), and while I have heard of it failing through old age (causing the tube to expand into the hole and puncture, presumably), a bit of deformation into the spoke hole is normal and doesn't seem to cause any problems.  Maybe it depends on the tube?

If there were >10 slits, then they must have been caused as the tube deflated.  There's the possibility that they all were, and the original deflation was caused by something else, but if the tyre was undamaged, that doesn't leave a lot of options.  Something valve-related I suppose.

« Reply #16 on: 03 September, 2016, 02:54:07 pm »
I once had an apparently (tread) good tyre that was quite old and had punctures that I couldn't fathom, turned out upon very close inspection that old age was causing the inner side wall to degrade and it was abrading the tube.

rr

« Reply #17 on: 03 September, 2016, 04:21:36 pm »
When I first bought my mountain bike I suffered repeated deflations caused by the lightweight, slightly under width, too flexible and  not fixed to the rim, rubber rim tape.it used to move allowing the tube to cut its self on the spoke holes. Cost me a rim when it went on a steep, rocky descent.
Velox tape prevented a repeat.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #18 on: 22 September, 2016, 05:07:58 pm »
Just to close the loop, after a month off the bike to let the hole in my elbow fill in, and after leaving the dressings off for a few days it's dried up quite nicely, I felt able to get back on the horse.

I bought a pair of Race Face D30 elbow protectors in XL (as that's what the size guide said - but I'm no Popeye these days...).  They fit snugly - would not want to be any smaller.

I was concerned about bunching of the fabric on the inside of the elbow as I ride with bent arms (hamster bars) and the RF pads have a lighter weight mesh in that area - and they proved to be very comfortable, and not hot and sweaty, over a couple of hours ride today (a warm day too).  No fabric bunching so no impinging on the blood supply in that area.  In fact, I forgot I had them on, other than where the L one was pressing on the damaged area.  But OK.

I will confess though to having been very nervous for the first few miles.  The SAKI is responsive (aka twitchy) and with a shiny, new 25c front tyre on damp tarmac I was far from relaxed.  Anyway, all went well, the tyre has scrubbed in and normal service has been resumed.

Let's hope for no repeats after a change to Velux rim tape, new Michelin tube and new Conti Hardshell.  I'll certainly be taking the tyre off occasionally now to check that rim tape.

« Reply #19 on: 24 September, 2016, 06:49:00 pm »
Did you go with the hard shell or the padded version?  You can spend anywhere from £20-50 on them and I can't figure out which is the best choice.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #20 on: 25 September, 2016, 07:18:37 pm »
Did you go with the hard shell or the padded version?  You can spend anywhere from £20-50 on them and I can't figure out which is the best choice.

They are a stiff padded version - didn't know that Race Face did a hard shell.  In any event, I'd not have gone for a hard shell as I wanted to maintain flexibility at the elbow and a padded version seemed to me to provide that.

I think the RF pads are Kevlar - they are about 20mm thick at the elbow, tapering to about 10mm towards the wrist, and are mounted on a sleeve similar to an arm warmer, but with mesh on the inside face.  They were £38 from Chain Reaction.

I cannot see that these would be compromised by a slide on the roughest tarmac, which is good as I don't need any more elbow damage....