Author Topic: It must be Spring,  (Read 2495 times)

mr endon

It must be Spring,
« on: 03 May, 2008, 05:34:39 pm »
because here I am, determining to do some audax rides this year.
Problem is, I'm a non-driver. Nor am I sufficiently hard-core to train and cycle n miles to the start, ride 400k (or so), then train and cycle home.
I live near Morpeth, Northumberland.
Any local audaxers with transport who want to be spared petrol and breakfast costs, in return for a lift to events of your choosing, I'm here for you. ;)

mr endon

Re: It must be Spring,
« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2008, 12:00:35 am »
Not to worry.
No, really.
On reflection, I don't want to ride any steenking audaxes anyway.
 >:(

Maladict

« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2008, 12:03:18 am »
I only just saw this thread.

I don't live near Morpeth.

HTH.

;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2008, 12:03:48 am »
You live in a very fine part of the country, don't you?

What sort of riding do you normally do?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mr endon

« Reply #4 on: 08 May, 2008, 12:12:31 am »
Year round commuting, longer weekend rides, some short tours with longer 'planned'. Enough centuries for me not to fear initial audax distances. Dun Run '05, again this year I hope. Usual non-competitive rider fare.
I'm just relieved I realised audaxes are utter crap before someone offered me shared transport to one. Phew!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 08 May, 2008, 12:20:40 am »
Well, I've dabbled with audaxes and I quite like 100k rides. I've tried a few 200, but they are too long.

I've done 2 imperial centuries this year, and I was quite pleased with how I got on, but my experience is that the step up to longer distances just inflicts too much pain.

Do you have regular riding companions or do you tend to go it alone?

If you really want to do audaxes, there are permanents and DIY stuff. I've done one permanent (the Manningtree 150) but I've not bothered with any DIY. If I want to do a ride, I'll work out a route and do it at my own pace. I can't be arsed with sticking to a lower time limit.

I always think the best rides are the ones you plan yourself, or pals do, and that take you to several pubs. We had a great one a couple of weeks ago with the Grand Union Canal towpath ride.

But Morpeth is a fair old trek from Essex... trains stop there though, don't they?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #6 on: 08 May, 2008, 08:03:46 am »
...Nor am I sufficiently hard-core to train and cycle n miles to the start, ride 400k (or so), then train and cycle home...

Are you sure?  :) If you've done enough centuries etc that a 200km audax holds no fears, then there is no difference in riding 50kms to the start of a 100km audax and riding home again. It does give you a radius of 30 miles or so from which you can ride local events, be they audaxes or other similar kind of rides.

I manage lots of events this way with very little driving, although I live in an area blessed with lots of events to ride.

Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

frere yacker

« Reply #7 on: 08 May, 2008, 09:39:56 am »
Mr Endon

A suggestion.  Consider getting in touch with VC167, a very active and friendly audax group up in the North East that counts in it's numbers some of the most prominent audax riders in the UK.

There are some VC167 members on this board, although they don't post as much as they used to and this might explain why responses to this thread were a wee bit delayed.

mr endon

« Reply #8 on: 08 May, 2008, 07:03:08 pm »
I'll do that, thanks.