Author Topic: Dee Lecht-able 200km - 24 May  (Read 5426 times)

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
Dee Lecht-able 200km - 24 May
« on: 12 May, 2008, 07:07:02 pm »
So with the Deeside loop over and done with, I'm now looking forward to my Snow Roads warm up part 2 - Dee Lecht-able. 

So who's planning to head up to t'deen for a wee bit o' Randonneuring?  Apparently there will be rowies at the controls and all finishers get a mealie pudding and a glass bottle of Moray cup  ;D

Re: Dee Lecht-able 200km - 24 May
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2008, 08:07:07 pm »
I shall be attending in an attempt to gather some AAA points towards my target  :thumbsup:

I believe there are those of lesser spirit who may be planning a much flatter route on the same day   ;D ;)

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #2 on: 12 May, 2008, 09:34:35 pm »
I shall be attending in an attempt to gather some AAA points towards my target  :thumbsup:

I believe there are those of lesser spirit who may be planning a much flatter route on the same day   ;D ;)
Indeed, we Big Girls' Blouses are making do with a ride that is a mere 400k longer.  :P
Re: Twilight 600km
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2008, 03:57:13 pm »

Quote from: Y Leee G on May 09, 2008, 02:10:16 pm
OK - roll call

Definites -

Y Lee G
Hibernian Exile
Eck

Maybes

DF?
Cyclops?

Those doing the Twilight permanent will be starting from Tesco South Queensferry at circa 6am Saturday 24th May.   

..and those doing the (much more scenic) "Gie's a Light" version will be leaving Kirriemuir at about Seven o' the Knock, with a view to a breakfast rendezvous at Aberfeldy.

I'm probably definite, and DF is definitely probable. Perhaps those of us doing the Deeside Loop on Sunday can hoodwink others into joining us.

Anyone else "of lesser spirit" tempted to avoid daft hills by joining us? RJMcB and neilmc were struggling to think of excuses yesterday so may be in attendance. Please reply on the "Twilight 600" topic: http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2386.15  :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #3 on: 12 May, 2008, 09:43:33 pm »

That would be Mrs Ernst an me ;D

We'll be up for the whole Grampian rally mind

If anybody would care to join us for a glass of wine or 2 in the evening, or a beer, you'd be most welcome, we'll be somewhere on the campsite

« Reply #4 on: 17 May, 2008, 09:29:07 pm »
Yesterday, whilst going "down" the way this route goes "up", I made the mistake of turning round to have a look of the "up".   :o :o :o

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #5 on: 23 May, 2008, 08:46:01 pm »
Good luck to everyone doing "The Lecht the Stupid Way" tomorrow. I look forward to tall tales of much suffering.

Quote of the week from my clubmate audave: "Is the Lecht a Munro?".  ;D

« Reply #6 on: 23 May, 2008, 08:54:52 pm »
...I look forward to tall tales of much suffering.

Not quite as bad as much suffering as will be endured in the Ballahullish Magners-fuelled sing-a-long  ;)
I'll be thinking of you all when I am tucked up warm in bed  ;D

« Reply #7 on: 23 May, 2008, 08:57:34 pm »
Yesterday, whilst going "down" the way this route goes "up", I made the mistake of turning round to have a look of the "up".   :o :o :o

Is that looking north ? The way I went up ? Was that meant to be the hard way then ? ;)

« Reply #8 on: 23 May, 2008, 08:58:21 pm »
So with the Deeside loop over and done with, I'm now looking forward to my Snow Roads warm up part 2 - Dee Lecht-able. 

So who's planning to head up to t'deen for a wee bit o' Randonneuring?  Apparently there will be rowies at the controls and all finishers get a mealie pudding and a glass bottle of Moray cup  ;D

WTF are rowies and mealie pudding

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #9 on: 23 May, 2008, 08:58:45 pm »
...I look forward to tall tales of much suffering.
I'll be thinking of you all when I am tucked up warm in bed  ;D
Aye, sure you will.  :P
Not quite as bad as much suffering as will be endured in the Ballahullish Magners-fuelled sing-a-long  ;)
Just so long as we don't have to sing-a-long with Mr H Exile and Desmond the F*ing Turkey.  ::-)

Edit: Desmond?? Apparently said turkey wishes to be known as Dustin.

« Reply #10 on: 23 May, 2008, 09:02:37 pm »
Good luck to everyone doing "The Lecht the Stupid Way" tomorrow. I look forward to tall tales of much suffering.

Quote of the week from my clubmate audave: "Is the Lecht a Munro?".  ;D

Nobody told me anything about hills when I signed up for this ride. Hopefully this should ensure that the fucking singing rubbish Eurovision is finished by the time I get home.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

« Reply #11 on: 23 May, 2008, 09:15:53 pm »

The staple diet of Aberdonian audaxeers, apparently.

« Reply #12 on: 24 May, 2008, 01:34:46 pm »

A rowie is also known as a 'buttery' or aberdeen roll. Its basically like a flattened croissant with more salt in it, and loads of butter if made properly, hence the name  :thumbsup: Brilliant toasted with more butter and jam  :P

Mealie pudding is most like white pudding, although mealie pudding can be made without pork fat (just suet, onions, oatmeal and seasoning) unless i totally misunderstand the distinction (having never seen white pudding outside of scotland anyway...).

You don't know what you're missing!

« Reply #13 on: 24 May, 2008, 06:43:53 pm »

A rowie is also known as a 'buttery' or aberdeen roll. Its basically like a flattened croissant with more salt in it, and loads of butter if made properly, hence the name  :thumbsup: Brilliant toasted with more butter and jam  :P

Mealie pudding is most like white pudding, although mealie pudding can be made without pork fat (just suet, onions, oatmeal and seasoning) unless i totally misunderstand the distinction (having never seen white pudding outside of scotland anyway...).

You don't know what you're missing!

I googled for 'rowie' and stopped reading when it mention LARD. Cholesterol city !!! "Just suet" which is beef fat !  I am a sucker for those sorts of things, hence my high cholesterol !!

« Reply #14 on: 24 May, 2008, 10:14:40 pm »
"Just suet" which is beef fat !  I am a sucker for those sorts of things, hence my high cholesterol !!

Erh, yeh, but you can get veggie suet if you really need to  :thumbsup:

If you define 'high cholesterol' against a local population average then you should move to Scotland, problem solved, and you can try rowies (this thread made me buy some when i went shopping  :-[ ).

« Reply #15 on: 24 May, 2008, 11:33:05 pm »
The hills were okay and conquered  :thumbsup:

What was not okay were the visitations by the faeries, the lack of function of my pumps, the clipless moment on gravel resulting in sore knee, ankle and elbow, and some quite deep cuts :sick:

But huge thanks to Dave Wells for his earlier assistance with a backup pump and keeping me company, and MercuryKev and Stuart who came to the rescue with assistance,  pump, finding the very well hidden shard of glass and additional tube when I had run out - certainly saved me walking the last ten miles having ridden the previous 5 almost on the rim.  Thanks also to Cyclops for keeping me company on most of the ride - until my first visitation we had been making great progress...

y lee g

« Reply #16 on: 25 May, 2008, 09:34:50 pm »
Good to hear that Dave Wells is back in action.   :thumbsup: and well done to all those who completed that very hilly looking 200k yesterday.

I can cognfirm that there was no magners and no singalong at Ballachulish last night on the twilight 600.  Just a makeshift dortoir with what can only be described as a "rarified" atmosphere.   

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #17 on: 25 May, 2008, 11:01:10 pm »
I'd agree that the route was a wee bit lumpy but the countryside was lovely and the weather was pretty good.  I've picked up my first tan line of the year.  However, I found the 20 miles between Tomintoul and Dufftown, with a headwind, pretty tough.  I also got to overtake Noodley for the first time ever, but he did have a puncture ;-)

« Reply #18 on: 25 May, 2008, 11:24:09 pm »
I also got to overtake Noodley for the first time ever, but he did have a puncture ;-)

Not when you dropped me in the last 15km I didn't.  How many of those wine gums did you take?  ;D

« Reply #19 on: 26 May, 2008, 11:55:23 am »
The hills were okay

??? ???
You may have guessed from the number of expletives I was using that I disagreed somewhat. There was a very alarming popping sensation coming from my right knee at one point as I crawled up Suie hill and I thought my leg was coming apart.

I thought that offering Glenfiddich rather than tea was an interesting idea at the finish
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

« Reply #20 on: 26 May, 2008, 08:20:16 pm »
You may have guessed from the number of expletives I was using that I disagreed somewhat.

And there was me thinking it was because you could not work out what the nearest Asda to Tomintoul was ;D, which I have since found out is Huntly.  The strange things one discusses on an audax  8)