Author Topic: 100 Mile Kent Castle Ride for 'Action Medical Research'  (Read 4210 times)

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
100 Mile Kent Castle Ride for 'Action Medical Research'
« on: 20 May, 2008, 07:21:41 pm »
My Girlfriend Louisa and I rode the 100 mile Castle Ride for Action Medical Research around Kent on Sunday 18th May 2008

While some raced, we toured, so; inside Tonbridge Castle and immediately after the start just outside  ;D

700 hundred of us waited in the sunny grounds of Tonbridge Castle for an early start, some started as early as 7.30, where as Louisa and I waddled through the gatehouse at just before nine for what was to be a 100 mile circular route back to Tonbridge taking in some of Kent’s castles along the way. The route was superbly marked out at each junction to the extent that I did not need to so much as glance as the route sheet which I had located conveniently in my MapTrap in preparation for such a long ride through unfamiliar territory, the busy junctions were even marshalled to make sure we didn’t get lost.

On route, slowly starting to get warm

The first half of the route was through the leafy yet hilly lanes that typify Kent, as we cycled past numerous Oast houses, orchards and spectacular rolling countryside it soon became clear why Kent is often referred to as the ‘garden of England‘, the route had been well chosen to show us Kent at its very best. There were four welcome refreshments stops plus a lunch stop, with plenty of fresh fruit, bananas plus cake and water available. At each check point there was help in the form of first aid and mechanics, all the stops were indeed well used by all but the quick riders, some of the latter completed the course by early afternoon.

Often on Charity rides will you see sights like this, this lady did not moan about a sore bum that's for sure

For me Charity rides are about savouring the day, I can actually get almost as much enjoyment and satisfaction at helping others achieve their goals as they do, lets face it Charity rides are for many their first taste at cycling any distance, at 100 miles this does represent a challenge to anyone, novices especially, even more so taking into consideration the hilly terrain. By late morning Louisa and I had got to Rochester, a quick stop for even more refreshments had us riding along sections of the Pilgrims way on route to the lunch stop at 56 miles. We were looking forward to what had been publicised as generous lunch, sadly at just after 2.00 o’clock this had all but gone and the organisers were out re stocking, in the meantime we made do with a few bread rolls, fruit and cheese, although in fairness we would have made alternative arrangements if we had known, you need to be well fuelled for a ride of this distance.

Louisa trying not to grimace on one of the many climbs

After lunch we headed into a flatter section of the ride, the average speed increased as result, although being on ‘A’ roads this did mean the route was less scenic, but it was only for just over an hour and the fact that for many it did mean that they were getting the miles in without to much effort was a welcome change as far as most were concerned. At 73 miles we headed back into the quite lanes and extremely beautiful country side once more; oh and the hills! We were passed on several occasions by motorcycle riders who were there to assist anyone who needed it, on more than one occasion we noticed them changing a tube for someone, support vehicles and ambulances were also seen at regular intervals, always acknowledging us to make sure all was well.

Bodiam Castle

Bodiam castle came and went at 77 miles, by this time most realised that although they were getting very tired they knew that they were going to make it, you could almost feel the relief coming off them, early on in the ride you could see they were nervous, now this had been replaced with stubborn determination, they were going to complete 100 miles, they knew it and nothing short of both legs falling off or was going to stop them. At 88 miles came the last refreshment stop, from here on the route eased off slightly in severity, the country side remained spectacular although I think Louisa missed most of the latter section, far to busy being bossed eyed and not very politely advising me that she had gone off hills, I assured her that this was normal for a first long bike ride and that infact she may not realise it but she was having a wonderful time going up hill; which went down well!

She did it, her very first century

Needless to say as we got insight of Tonbridge the mood as to be expected lightened, the aches and pains forgotten, the organisers still had their reception committee cheering as we rode through Tonbridge Gatehouse to welcome us, along with some friends who had been injured before the day who will at some stage ride the course. All in all a well thought out route, well supported by both riders and organisation personnel, running out of food at lunch time was a set back for us personally, but this is easy enough to rectify for what I am sure will continue to be a regular event and deservedly so.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

Re: 100 Mile Kent Castle Ride for 'Action Medical Research'
« Reply #1 on: 21 May, 2008, 08:20:41 am »
Congrats to Louisa,

100 miles is a big landmark in the way to riding further.  What was her previous longest ride?

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

Paul Smith SRCC

• www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2008, 09:42:02 am »
Congrats to Louisa,100 miles is a big landmark in the way to riding further.  What was her previous longest ride?
AC
Thanks for that Andy, she has been cycling now for just over a year, so started with 20 up to about 50 last summer, Thames tow path, Richmond path pleasure rides with plenty of stops. She liked doing those so we started to do more road specific steady miles, building up to a couple of 70 mile runs in the last couple of months.

This gradual build up did mean that she was able to enjoy the ride, she was nervous of course, but others on the ride who had done less preparation were dreading it, to them it was all about getting to the end where as Louisa was able to enjoy getting there as well.

She is hoping to ride Bordeaux to Barcelona with me this summer, possibly on her little ATB that I have put semi slicks on for her with a flatter more road bike position, she may get a new bike, although after a couple of nasty moments she still likes the robust feel that she gets on her old ATB

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2008, 01:20:06 pm »
Paul, I got a Jim'll Fix It badge too. Good aren't they?
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Paul Smith SRCC

• www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 22 May, 2008, 09:20:52 am »
Paul, I got a Jim'll Fix It badge too. Good aren't they?
Yes they are brilliant, a good momento of the day, pride of place on my pinboard in the Kitchen now, gestures like that make a difference  :thumbsup:

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk