Author Topic: A new AUK award and medal proposal  (Read 2567 times)

A new AUK award and medal proposal
« on: 25 May, 2008, 07:05:15 pm »
OK so we have awards for just about everything now but...
In the spirit of encouraging self-reliance on Audax rides and greater harmony, I wonder if the next AGM of AUK would consider a new award or medal to be awarded for spouses, partners, parents or friends who have made an outstanding contribution to the rescue of a stranded AUK member while on a perm or calendar event.
This would go along way to placate the aforesaid rescuer and would have to reflect the distance travelled to effect the rescue, the time of night and the degree of inconvenience and cancelled arrangements this has cost him or her.
Clearly distances over 200km would be worth something as would time spent after midnight or driving in the dark while clutching a map, etc.
Perhaps, penalty points for experienced members could be accrued if the breakdown was avoidable or the AUK member should really have known to have carried spares and how to use them etc. Award winners might be able to choose a punishment of their choice liking grounding the rescuee, banning them from bike shops or consorting with other cyclists and so on.
The medal could either be framed or redeemed for chocolate, wine or assorted and various favours of a kind that need not be spelled out in this place.
This thought occurred to me after breaking a spoke and buckling a wheel in Glenshee in the small hours solo on the "Kingdom Come 400" permanent and could have spared me needless anxiety, frantic soul-searching and provided a painless and easy route back into her good books.
I think this should be initiated forthwith!

Re: A new AUK award and medal proposal
« Reply #1 on: 25 May, 2008, 07:08:20 pm »
Good idea. My nomination goes to the ambulance crew who picked me up on the last DIY perm I did. Perhaps an additional award can be award to those of us who do these thing without the safety net of spouse who is able to drive.

« Reply #2 on: 25 May, 2008, 09:15:38 pm »
Oh dear  :(

I would have come with you on that ride if you'd been looking for a pal.

But then again, maybe I'm glad I wasn't there after all.   ;)  I'm a crabbit b*****d after about 10pm on the bike anyway - you were probably spared my company  :-[

I imagine you were on the last leg as well.  Bummer  >:(

RJMcB

« Reply #3 on: 25 May, 2008, 09:31:21 pm »
If that's valid internationally, hardly anything can beat the son-in-law of one of the Belgian PBP participants in 2003. After receiving a phonecall he jumped into his car and drove to the vicinity of Brest to pick up his stranded father-in-law.

« Reply #4 on: 25 May, 2008, 09:32:15 pm »
I'm a crabbit b*****d after about 10pmam on the bike

That's better  ;)

« Reply #5 on: 26 May, 2008, 08:05:00 am »
Oh dear  :(

I would have come with you on that ride if you'd been looking for a pal.

Thanks.
I deliberately wanted to stay flexible and pick good weather so thought I'd try it alone. Not nearly as much fun though and it's such a head-game anyway, I think I'm probably not cut out for long solo perms. I don't know how Steve Abraham does all his.