Author Topic: Denmead 300k: 26th April  (Read 16460 times)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: Denmead 300k: 26th April
« Reply #25 on: 17 April, 2008, 08:52:56 pm »

Don't forget - any fool can do these rides if they are fit.

The real challenge is to do them when you are unfit.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Mr Spooner.

I'll remember this when I'm panting so hard me tits are bleeding.  :-[

H

P.s. How was France?

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #26 on: 18 April, 2008, 10:03:09 am »

P.s. How was France?

Very relaxing, thank you. No controls, no receipts to worry about, no time limits - just cycling for pleasure. And a full range of weathers as well. I went S to the Loire, then E to Chinon, then turned back home. About 1000 km altogether.

Edit: I've entered the Denmead 300. First time for a few years on this one.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #27 on: 18 April, 2008, 01:28:48 pm »
So, are we all ready?

I think so. I certainly feel more ready for it after the Dorset Coast & Faccombe rides.

That final 50kms? No, I don't think so  :) Although hopefully I'll be riding to the start, so I may get somewhere near 300kms. We'll see what the weather's doing.

I take it no-one's had the route yet and it's going to be Pam's usual lastminute.com affair?

See you all there/en route somewhere...
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

frere yacker

« Reply #28 on: 18 April, 2008, 01:38:09 pm »
I'll be there, probably on fixed despite the lumps I expect will make themselves felt in the last half of the ride.

Am I ready for this ride?  Probably.  Am I looking forward to it? Kind of - mind has moved on to the first 600km ride of the year (Bryan Chapman).  4 weeks to get properly match fit (and more importantly, toughen up my derriere).

« Reply #29 on: 18 April, 2008, 02:07:06 pm »
Busy next weekend, so planning on doing the perm one day soon (certainly before the Chapman mid-May), starting at my gaff halfway round.

Sounds like it'll be a good choice (as long as the controls timing works out ok) if the lumps are in what will be my first half. If the route west from Blandford is what we're calling lumpy then  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:. Certainly the 10 mile lane from Wimborne where I met MV & Tuggo last year will be a very pleasant (read flat and fast) finish. Anybody else who can't make it on the 26th want to join in?

LEE

« Reply #30 on: 18 April, 2008, 04:07:21 pm »
I felt a bit low on 'Zip' during Faccombe Haul and I've just got back from 4 days over-eating and slobbing-out in Plymouth's Barbican.

I'll be there but hoping for a return to the form I felt on Denmead 200.

I suppose I'd better do some prep miles next week and hope for better weather (it will be bloody awful if it stays like this).

Get Well Soon Hummers, you'd better had because you're towing me all the way round.

Hummers

« Reply #31 on: 18 April, 2008, 09:47:11 pm »
I felt a bit low on 'Zip' during Faccombe Haul and I've just got back from 4 days over-eating and slobbing-out in Plymouth's Barbican.

Nothing wrong with that.  :thumbsup:

H

LEE

« Reply #32 on: 20 April, 2008, 12:24:21 pm »
Metcheck is showing Saturday as quite promising  16C-19C during the day and a minimum of 10C.

I've actually forgotton what to wear in those sort of heady temperatures.

Plenty of time for the forecast to change of course.

Can't wait to get the route sheet and see where we are headed.

Hummers

« Reply #33 on: 20 April, 2008, 09:31:27 pm »
Can't wait to get the route sheet and see where we are headed.

If it's the same as the perm, the first 100k+ is pretty much identical to the Winter Randonee with a visit to Lymington for brekkers.

IIRC, it then goes up to Ringwood on to Blandford and then off to Salisbury.

Then it's a north of Romsey return.

H

« Reply #34 on: 20 April, 2008, 10:34:28 pm »
Just got the routesheet (had to check the date as I was worried that meant the ride is the day after tomorrow  :) )

Kimbridge, Bucklers Hard, Lymington, Ringwood, Blandford Forum, Salisbury, Ower services and home  to the Nest.

LEE

« Reply #35 on: 20 April, 2008, 11:19:35 pm »
Also just got the routesheet.

I see that "The Nest" is open until 1am.

Brekkers/Lunch at 'The Needles" cafe Milford on Sea then 200km home via Blandford.

My legs are sore after a mere 30 miles today (after a week off the bike), this 300km could mean some serious hobbling around the house on the Sunday.

Got to be done I suppose.

See you all there.

Hummers

« Reply #36 on: 21 April, 2008, 07:47:57 am »
That's the same route as the perm.

Based on my current form, I expect I may be too late for the Nest.

Never mind - Mick's Burger van is on the route home  :P

H

« Reply #37 on: 21 April, 2008, 09:54:01 am »
That's the same route as the perm.

At first glance, this bikely route looks right, but I've not checked it.

Based on my current form, I expect I may be too late for the Nest.

As there is a fair bit of this "I didn't do any revision for this exam" going on, I'll add my bit; the last long ride I did was the Denmead Winter Randonee almost two months ago, and having been working in our Swedish office three days a week for four out of the last five weeks my commuting mileage has dropped significantly too :-(  (I really, really must get a bike sorted out over there!)

Never mind - Mick's Burger van is on the route home  :P

That is likely to sound very attractive in the early hours :-)

« Reply #38 on: 21 April, 2008, 10:40:14 am »

At first glance, this bikely route looks right, but I've not checked it.

Sorry, that one isn't right; bits are the same, but at least the section from the Tesco control at 224km back home is different.

LEE

« Reply #39 on: 21 April, 2008, 11:13:03 am »
I'll be employing the quick-stop strategy to make up for my lack of ground speed.

I'd really like to be back at The Nest before 1am (18 hours).  That's 6hrs/100km overall and I'm targetting 5.5hrs/100km.  I'm sure that's doable but only if I avoid sitting in Annie's Tea Room for an hour and so on.

My body doesn't respond well to long stops.  I get cold and it takes me ages to get going again.  The 20 min stop strategy employed by me and Urban-Biker on Denmead 200 suited me really well although it's tough cycling past Country Pubs with glowing log fires.

I'm afraid this one is just about getting a tick-in-the-box for my SR and not about enjoyment as such. The New Forest 200 in May will be used for enjoyment.

« Reply #40 on: 21 April, 2008, 11:46:58 am »
I'm afraid this one is just about getting a tick-in-the-box for my SR and not about enjoyment as such.
If you're not doing it for fun, what's the point? ???

(A question asked by our Arrow team just before numerous pints were purchased, somewhere near The Wash.)

I always plan on having a good time. Can't remember the last time it worked out like that, but that's a different point... ::-)

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #41 on: 21 April, 2008, 12:02:47 pm »
I suspect that some fun will be had. There will also be an amount of tiredness and soreness. I will make sure I remember the fun ;)

Sometimes it makes sense to do a ride just so the next one will be easier. I know if I can complete a 300k it will make 200k feel easier ( in my head at least and probably in my legs too). In my experience so far the first ride at a new distance is always tough - once I've done 2 or 3 I can then start to enjoy that distance and the rides become more enjoyable.
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #42 on: 21 April, 2008, 12:04:10 pm »
I'd really like to be back at The Nest before 1am (18 hours).  That's 6hrs/100km overall and I'm targetting 5.5hrs/100km.  I'm sure that's doable but only if I avoid sitting in Annie's Tea Room for an hour and so on.

30 minutes is more than enough time to eat, refill bottles, visit the toilet, faff (putting on lights, changing gloves, etc).

Any more than 30 minutes, for me, constitutes a prolonged rest (by choice) or slow service in a cafe. (The hour long stop in Newent on the Dean was a combination of both). The first cafe stop tends to be a bit longer than normal as I'm stocking up for the rest of the day (and I usually only have a light breakfast).

39 minutes at Rhayader was my longest stop on the Elenith, but that was at the end of the tough 100km section with the bulk of the climbing. All of the other stops were under 30 minutes even though I ate well at every single one of them.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

frere yacker

« Reply #43 on: 21 April, 2008, 12:52:55 pm »
I'd really like to be back at The Nest before 1am (18 hours).  I'm sure that's doable.

This route lends itself to a fast 300.  Normally I take 16hrs to do a 300 but expecting an hour or even more quicker for this one.  From memory, I did the similar 2006 double century Pam put on in less than 16hrs and that was more than 20km longer.  And that was with a relaxed control in Blanford Forum.

Hummers

« Reply #44 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:06:58 pm »
Even if the Nest is still open on my arrival, Mick's Burger van still sounds like a good idea though.

:thumbsup:

H

« Reply #45 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:39:07 pm »
I'm afraid this one is just about getting a tick-in-the-box for my SR and not about enjoyment as such. The New Forest 200 in May will be used for enjoyment.

Come on, do at least try to enjoy it  ;D

I think you will: it's a reasonably fast 300. There are no hills registering anything near "brutal". It goes through pretty nice countryside. There's a fun off-road section. The cafe at Blandford is ace. Any there's even a finish control now.

What's not to enjoy? :-)
Don't ask me that at ~250kms next Saturday
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

LEE

« Reply #46 on: 21 April, 2008, 02:12:07 pm »
I'm afraid this one is just about getting a tick-in-the-box for my SR and not about enjoyment as such.
If you're not doing it for fun, what's the point? ???

(A question asked by our Arrow team just before numerous pints were purchased, somewhere near The Wash.)

I always plan on having a good time. Can't remember the last time it worked out like that, but that's a different point... ::-)

Slowly but surely audaxes are becoming more and more fun.  That's because they are getting easier and easier.  A 100km is now an easy pub ride (even the Faccombe Grimpeur variety), a 200km has got to the point where I can finish in a healthy condition and contemplate some beers en-route.   A 300 however is still at the extreme of my abilities so I expect it may be grind over the final 50km.  It's not that I don't enjoy myself on Audaxes but my enjoyment of the longer ones tends to be the enjoyment of finishing.

I distinctly remember getting into John O Groats and thinking "Great, I'm glad that's over, now I don't need to do it any more".  No tears of joy as happens with other folks.

It's the way my brain is wired.  Challenges keep rearing their ugly head and I can't rest easily until I have crossed them off.  PBP 2011 is the reason I was out this morning for 3 hours in the cold and rain.  If I manage to complete PBP I doubt if I'll break down in tears of joy, rather I'll think "Thank feck that's crossed off my list".  I can't imagine I'll do PBP twice or even do an SR again once I don't need to as a qualifier for something.

Cycle camping with a tent, riding down sunny lanes, stopping when I want (near a pub usually) and for as long as I want is my idea of true cycling fun. 

Currently 300km Audaxes are a bit (Mt Everest) "Because it's there" challenges.

Of course, there may well come a time when 300km and 400km rides don't take the same physical toll on me and I can do an SR series for fun.  Time will tell on that one but, for now, 300km will hurt.

« Reply #47 on: 21 April, 2008, 03:13:29 pm »
There's a fun off-road section.

To be honest, I was considering going around that bit on the road, which seems only marginally longer and is likely to be much faster (and certainly smoother). I've only ridden it once - at the end of the New Forest On and Off Shore ride last September, and I didn't find it much fun - more just a jarring, rattly stretch. I'm quite happy off road, but don't particularly like that kind of track even on my MTB.

border-rider

« Reply #48 on: 21 April, 2008, 03:14:37 pm »
That'll be the bit where Manotea ended up in the sea ;)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #49 on: 21 April, 2008, 03:25:17 pm »
That'll be the bit where Manotea ended up in the sea ;)

... and briefly became Manatee no doubt.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur