Author Topic: Dangleway ride - Ideas for a riverside pootle?  (Read 3399 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Dangleway ride - Ideas for a riverside pootle?
« on: 20 November, 2018, 09:56:26 pm »
Noting:

The Emirates Line is superb if you are cycle-bound on a riverside pootle.
Board it with a bike and you get an entire gondola to yourself.
Because risk.
Unfortunately, much as I use it regularly, I don't think that there are sufficient 'cycle-bound on a riverside pootle' contenders to make it anywhere near cost effective.
Ultimately, as you say, neither of its destination points are really destinations.

And inspired by:

I really ought to get round to riding the Dangleway before someone sees sense and closes it.
You should.
Its ~ 10% (with an Oyster Card - I'm happy to lend you one) of the cost of walking over the roof of The Dome (showing my age here by calling it that) and a couple of hundred feet higher.
Win Win.
ETA: Make a plan. Come down one weekend, and we'll go for a ride along the river.
ETFA: Others most welcome.

I think we should make this a thing.  Who's interested in a ride that takes in Nowhere and Nearly Nowhere?  For sheer novelty value, and Dangleway opening hours compatibility, this one's going to be during the hours of daylight.

Re: Dangleway ride - Ideas for a riverside pootle?
« Reply #1 on: 20 November, 2018, 10:24:56 pm »
Well, I've never actually dangled, so I really ought to, it's up the road from me, too.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2 on: 20 November, 2018, 10:39:18 pm »
Oh yes. Trinity Buoy Wharf is nearby, with never ending, never repeating music, a tide powered bell and Fatboys diner, which, last time I went, had raised its game. It also has a machine for making nekkid ladies.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3 on: 20 November, 2018, 10:53:11 pm »
There's a planned cyclechat sunday ride to take in the new Ferry's when they come on-line as well post 1st Jan... perhaps combine the two crossings?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #4 on: 21 November, 2018, 08:02:55 am »
I could come and see you lot dangelding as I doughty that the trice will dangel   :)
the slower you go the more you see

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5 on: 21 November, 2018, 08:43:52 am »
Those plans almost look like a Thames Path Meander...
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 21 November, 2018, 09:22:21 am »
I could come and see you lot dangelding as I doughty that the trice will dangel   :)
Jurek says cyclists get a whole gondola to themselves and their cycle, so I don't see why the Trice shouldn't dangle too. But by the same token, the actual dangling is presumably going to be somewhat unsociable and time consuming.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #7 on: 21 November, 2018, 09:25:14 am »
Jurek says cyclists get a whole gondola to themselves and their cycle, so I don't see why the Trice shouldn't dangle too. But by the same token, the actual dangling is presumably going to be somewhat unsociable and time consuming.

It's a size thing. The trike may be bigger than the gondola, which will cause logistical difficulties.  When I crossed using it, I didn't get a gondola to my self, I had to share with another cyclist, the dapper and stylish Topcat1 off of Cyclechat.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #8 on: 21 November, 2018, 09:49:40 am »
I've been on this thing 3 or 4 times with a bike - last time we had 2 or bikes all in the same gondola (the seats tip up IIRC to make more space) - the downside is where you start/finish as they are not very inspiring.

Bill Carnaby's London Sightseer Audax has used/does use the airline as an alternative to the Greenwich Foot Tunnel.

Rob

« Reply #9 on: 21 November, 2018, 09:43:15 pm »
Prospective PHDs need not apply.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

gerwinium

• Occasional smug folding bastard
« Reply #10 on: 21 November, 2018, 10:49:55 pm »
I've done this a few times and would do so happily again

« Reply #11 on: 21 November, 2018, 10:56:59 pm »
You can combine it with the other river crossings, the Thames Path, the Greenway and the Olympic Park:
https://www.strava.com/activities/125005636

Or a simpler version since the Woolwich Ferry is shut:
https://www.strava.com/activities/713754543

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 21 November, 2018, 11:02:36 pm »
There's a planned cyclechat sunday ride to take in the new Ferry's when they come on-line as well post 1st Jan... perhaps combine the two crossings?

Liking the sound of this...  Can't see the relevant thread on CycleChat?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #13 on: 22 November, 2018, 01:40:39 am »
I think it's in the pinned SLR thread
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #14 on: 23 November, 2018, 12:55:10 pm »

It's a size thing. The trike may be bigger than the gondola, which will cause logistical difficulties.  When I crossed using it, I didn't get a gondola to my self, I had to share with another cyclist, the dapper and stylish Topcat1 off of Cyclechat.

Max size they'll allow for a mobility device is 700mm x 1300mm

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 23 November, 2018, 01:02:11 pm »
Typical.  ICE Adventure is a tyre-dependent smidgen over 800mm wide, which makes it incompatible with most doorways.  (And more that 1600 long, but that can be reduced by folding.)

I'm sure it would fit (if a DF bike will go, you can probably get it in sideways), but that doesn't mean they'll let it on.