Author Topic: Satmap Active 10  (Read 21165 times)

Re: Satmap Active 10
« Reply #25 on: 18 July, 2008, 03:06:03 pm »
I noticed some of the additional stuff, but not being German, or needing anything other than OSGB coordinates, a lot of it isn't much use.  I did see that you don't seem to be able to turn it off when charging, only turn the screen off.

I'm just hoping that the improved memory access is a euphemism for "we've removed the memory leaks which caused half the crashes". ;D

It'll get a longer term test tonight when I do the FNRttC, although I won't be fiddling with it too much, and I may set the screen to turn off after a short while, so that the battery lasts the entire night.  When I used it during the Zombocalypse ride, it did get confused and stop displaying new mapping about half way through the ride, with a bit of luck that sort of thing will stop happening.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #26 on: 27 September, 2008, 11:47:32 pm »
For anyone else whose got one of these beasties, I noticed on the Satmap website, that they are selling a 1:14000 A-Z map of London now.  The website is a bit broken, and won't show an image of the coverage, but it looks like it could be useful.  It is another £60 though...

« Reply #27 on: 13 February, 2009, 07:22:01 pm »
Now you've had it ages, & (I presume) loaded up all the software updates, what do you think of it?

I've just been given one for my birthday, & since Wiggle messed up delivery, knew what was coming a few days before it arrived, so I've had a chance to read reviews before playing with it. They vary from "best thing since gears" (shuddup, all you fixie fans) to "might be nice if it wasn't so bug-ridden". I get an impression (he says, hoping) that the software issues have been resolved. What have you found?

What about batteries? Would high-capacity NiMh AA rechargeables be adequate?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #28 on: 13 February, 2009, 11:13:41 pm »
I'm still very happy with it.  The latest software update added a few little features, I guess they'll continue to gradually release various bells and whistles.  It's pretty reliable now, compared to when I first got it, and it had a nasty tendency to crash from time to time, or stop updating the mapping on the screen.  I've updated it two or three times now, and after the first one the "crash-ness" of it improved dramatically.

I don't see any reason why it won't work with NiMH batteries, especially since Satmap sale them on their website!  The LiIon battery probably lasts longer, but it does cost £30 (incidentally, if you are happy charging it using a laptop or PC, you don't need the £45 power bundle, it just provides cables, a mains charger, and a car charger in addition to the battery).  Obviously with NiMH AAs, you'll have to remove the batteries to charge them.

The latest software is Version 1.3, if you haven't got it, it's worth downloading it from the Satmap website.

« Reply #29 on: 13 February, 2009, 11:35:24 pm »
......What about batteries? Would high-capacity NiMh AA rechargeables be adequate?
Yes they're fine. They don't last quite as long as the Li-pol cell in my experience, but I think it depends a lot on the quality of the rechargeables you have. I've used some 7Day Shop 2700mAh NiMh rechargeables satifactorily Someone else reported good results with Duracell Supreme 2650 mAh NiMh batteries. I find that it runs quite a while before the battery condition indicator drops to three blocks, then the time between three and two blocks is a bit less, but once at two blocks it depletes comparatively quickly. If you run it with the screen auto shutting down, once at two blocks you can find it's run out and powered down while in sleep mode without you realising it.

« Reply #30 on: 14 February, 2009, 12:03:16 am »
Ta. Useful comments. I'll have to check the software version. Fortuitously, since buying my new charger, as recommended by Charlotte, I have found that my buggered set of batteries is actually one buggered (down to 40% capacity, i.e  AH) & three sound ones. Exactly the right number for my Active 10.  :thumbsup:

I've installed Satsync on my PC & ordered another map card, to give me proper coverage of the places I want to cycle. Perhaps by next winter they'll have good coverage of Europes ski areas, but for the moment, I'm awaiting the online route planning & route sharing the Satmap website promises. They'll be very useful enhancements.

It's going to take a little while to learn how to use it properly, I think.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #31 on: 14 February, 2009, 12:30:43 am »
... Perhaps by next winter they'll have good coverage of Europes ski areas, ...

The only country that you seem to be able to get mapping for, aside from the UK, appears to be Holland, although I don't know whether a Dutch card will work in a UK Satmap or vice versa.  I do visit Holland occasionally, and I was wondering about taking my Brompton on the plane next time, so it could be useful!

« Reply #32 on: 14 February, 2009, 12:42:45 am »
In the FAQs it says "Maps are now available for Holland, Germany, Norway, Switzerland, Austria. Maps for France, Spain, Ireland and Northern Ireland will be released in Q2 2009.", but I've not found anything other than the Dutch maps on the website. They must be hidden somewhere.

It also says this -
"At present, there are no marine charts supplied for use with the Active 10. However, we are licenced partners of the UK Hydrographic Office and intend to introduce marine charts on SD Cards later in the year."

Handy for those with boats.

I imagine that now the product is established in the UK market, with stable software & good map coverage, expansion into new markets must be a major priority for Satmap.

Aha! Norway! Det ultimate GPS system med siste generasjon kart - Satmap : langt foran
Coastal charts - http://www.uglandit.com/satmap/bat.html 
But the tab for "Kart" (i.e. map) on the Hovedside (Headpage) doesn't work. A work in progress, methinks.

I'd never heard of it until a few days ago. I must thank Mrs. B again for finding it & buying it for me. It looks like a good choice on her part.

« Reply #33 on: 14 February, 2009, 02:19:31 pm »
I imagine that now the product is established in the UK market, with stable software & good map coverage, expansion into new markets must be a major priority for Satmap.

I disagree, I think a major priority should be delivering on the promises they made at launch time - over a year ago - including online route planning and support for Apple, both of which some of us are still waiting for. Too long.

« Reply #34 on: 14 February, 2009, 06:06:47 pm »
The Route Planning and Route Sharing Forum is now available for brave souls to test in beta form if you wish. See: this link

Also, you may find this post interesting, vis-a-vis forthcoming developments:this link

« Reply #35 on: 15 February, 2009, 12:13:37 am »
Ah, good stuff on the planned European map releases & the route planning/share.

« Reply #36 on: 01 February, 2010, 08:54:29 am »
i have just ordered one of these from amazon this morning  :) ,  i have never had a sat nav before so it should be intresting. any tips for a newbie  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #37 on: 02 February, 2010, 10:58:19 pm »
Where to start?!  Best advice if truely starting from scratch, is to "Read the Manual" - then play with it a bit and go and read the manual again! Sorry, that sounds facetious but joking apart, most of us jump in, which is the best way to learn, but then forget to go back to the book, which in the case of the Satmap is much improved over the first offering. You have to download it from their website though; the thing you get in the box is just a guide to getting going.

There's a lot of info. at: Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras

Don't be put off too much by some of the negativity on this forum; as with all these things, you only get people posting when they have a problem, but if you look around on it, there's a lot of useful gen.

« Reply #38 on: 08 February, 2010, 10:10:32 pm »
Wot 'e said.

Also . . .

Make sure you register it with Satmap.

Check the website occasionally for software updates.

I found that in bright summer sun, the backlight isn't bright enough - but if the light really is that bright, you can see the screen quite well with the backlight turned off, & it saves the batteries.

I don't know whether you've splashed out on the battery pack. I've found that three slightly knackered NiMH rechargeables (originally 2.4 amp hour, but reduced to below 2 AH) were enough for any day ride, but since someone gave me the Li-pol battery pack for christmas, I've found it lasts a lot longer.

The handlebar mounting bracket is a standard Rixen & Kaul/Abus part. There's a cheaper & lighter version, the Klickfix mini-adapter or Abus RBKF mini, which holds the satnav just as well, but can't easily be moved from bike to bike. I got a couple of 'em dirt cheap from Cyclesense (an excellent retailer), for mounting on different bikes, but I don't know if they're still selling them cheap. Looked like old stock - but nothing wrong with them, & a good buy.

« Reply #39 on: 12 February, 2010, 06:34:01 pm »
thanks for your advice both of you  :thumbsup: . i found i was very near their base they said when i phoned them i could visit them and over a very nice cup of tea i was shown how to get the best out of it . i also found out that the beta version of the mac software is available to download from their website. no use to me but may help someone O:-).  i now have it mounted on the mirrior mount on my trice and am looking forward to giveing it a good test when the weather warms a little  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #40 on: 04 March, 2015, 12:46:14 pm »
The Li-Pol battery I'd had for years, but which was showing no signs of reduced life, suddenly failed due to a wire connecting the battery to the plug. This was surprising & disappointing, since the battery has pretty much lived in the unit since being given to me, & I can't see why there'd be any strain on it.

But - I told Satmap by e-mail saying (mildly) that I was disappointed - & within ten minutes I got an e-mail telling me I've ordered a new one, priced at £0.00p, with free shipping!

Only question now is whether it arrives in time for Mrs B to use on the Kennet Valey 100, or whether I'll have to stick some other batteries in it.

« Reply #41 on: 04 March, 2015, 01:52:32 pm »
I've had an Active10 for a few years now, and I like it for walking but don't use it for cycling. I find that I can't really study the map on the move, so having it on the bars means I will be stopping a lot. And in rain the unsealed screen shield (outer screen) lets water get in, making the image difficult to make out. But for walking it is good. I still take a paper map to see a wider area, though.

« Reply #42 on: 13 March, 2015, 08:43:40 am »
It arrived the day before, & powered the GPS all the way round with no problems.

« Reply #43 on: 19 October, 2015, 03:15:10 pm »
I've finally taken the plunge and bought a second hand Active 10 in readiness for the next family cycle touring trip to France. I reckon it will make the daily navigation just that little bit easier. I will be taking maps but will use these each night to enter the following day's route directly into the unit. I can't be doing with planning the rides out at home before we set off. I want to have the ability to make the route up as we go, sort of.

Initial impressions are pretty good. Straightforward to use once you've done a bit of ploughing through the instructions, and entering routes on it is also simple, if mildly tedious, but not insurmountably so.

The mount is indeed very robust, well impressed with that.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #44 on: 21 October, 2015, 11:30:11 pm »
I find entering routes best done by plotting 'em on a computer & then transferring 'em to the satnav.

« Reply #45 on: 21 October, 2015, 11:43:11 pm »
For sure, but I'm not taking a laptop with me when we go touring, and I want to have the ability to make a route up on the day.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #46 on: 23 October, 2015, 07:15:51 am »
I've finally taken the plunge and bought a second hand Active 10 in readiness for the next family cycle touring trip to France. I reckon it will make the daily navigation just that little bit easier. I will be taking maps but will use these each night to enter the following day's route directly into the unit. I can't be doing with planning the rides out at home before we set off. I want to have the ability to make the route up as we go, sort of.

Initial impressions are pretty good. Straightforward to use once you've done a bit of ploughing through the instructions, and entering routes on it is also simple, if mildly tedious, but not insurmountably so.

The mount is indeed very robust, well impressed with that.

There are two main problems with using Active 10s on your handlebars. The first is the usual problem of trying to see the screen on a sunny day. The second is that water easily gets in behind the outer screen, making the image hard to read. I find mine better for walking.

« Reply #47 on: 23 October, 2015, 07:32:40 am »
Hmmm. That's certainly sub-optimal. I'm rather hoping that its principal use will be in Brittany/Normandy next Summer where IT WON'T RAIN. For the sunshine problem we'll have to try the 'turn the backlight off' trick.

Which GPSs do work in bright sunshine ?
Rust never sleeps

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #48 on: 23 October, 2015, 12:21:58 pm »
Which GPSs do work in bright sunshine ?

eTrexes and I'm fairly sure Edges have reflective/transmissive screens.  They're fine[1] in bright sunlight without backlight, fine in dark conditions with backlight, and a bit murky in cloudy conditions.  It seems to be the best compromise for this sort of device, at least until someone manages to make a GPS unit with an e-ink display.

[1] Except when the angle is such that the outer layer of the screen reflects the sun into your eyes.

« Reply #49 on: 18 July, 2016, 06:39:34 pm »
Having had problems with water ingress due to the "toggle" switch failing, I'm interested in whether the ProSHIELD Bike Case will help.

It supposedly ups the protection level from IP65 to IP67, which is the difference between being sprayed with a water jet for 3 minutes, versus being immersed under 1m of water for 30 minutes.  I'm not sure I'm convinced about that, since there's a damned big hole in the back where the bicycle mounting goes, but if it does make things a bit more waterproof, it'll be worth £30.