Linked Events

• Irish Mail 400km audax: 13 June, 2009

Author Topic: The Irish Mail 400km  (Read 25126 times)

Re: The Irish Mail 400km
« Reply #50 on: 03 June, 2009, 12:37:57 pm »
Hello,

I would like to sleep at the hall on Friday, perhaps we could all pop over to the pub for a couple of drinks :)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #51 on: 03 June, 2009, 12:45:39 pm »
I wanted to get the train for this but it just isn't worth it. Apart from the cost (which I could have minimised by booking earler) it takes well over 4 hours from where I live with 3 (or 4, depending on train) changes. Even if I ride to Guildford - where I can get a journey which only requires 2 changes - it's still over 4 hours...

So, I'll be taking the car then....
Scott,
I'm slightly closer along the rail network than you, but still decided getting to the start is too much trouble, despite this ride sounding lovely.
(Chepstow is sooooo much more convenient daahling.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #52 on: 04 June, 2009, 02:17:47 pm »
I just like to have an idea of how many to expect.

Count me in (or out as I'd rather camp on the grass outside than join the snoring team indoors if that's OK)

Tony

JohnHamilton

« Reply #53 on: 04 June, 2009, 06:58:31 pm »
Count me in (or out as I'd rather camp on the grass outside than join the snoring team indoors if that's OK)

I'm sure the church clock striking the hour through the night will be an acceptable alternative ;D Kept us all awake last year, although was conspicuous by it's absence a few weeks later on the 600.

simonp

« Reply #54 on: 09 June, 2009, 08:54:06 pm »
DAK if the route's changed at all from last year (and/or location of controls/infos).

Sure I did a GPX last year which would be nice to get a chance to use this year.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #55 on: 09 June, 2009, 09:04:33 pm »
DAK if the route's changed at all from last year (and/or location of controls/infos).

Sure I did a GPX last year which would be nice to get a chance to use this year.

One small change in that the Info Control on the west coast of Anglesey is no longer required. So the minor road through the dunes just before Llangadwaladr is missed in favour of staying on the A4080 all the way from Malltraeth to Llanfaelog.

Chris N

« Reply #56 on: 11 June, 2009, 09:12:35 pm »
Forecast is looking better and better.  I hope my knee holds up - been feeling a bit slow this week, but the ride over tomorrow evening should loosen things up.

Thunderthighs

• A likeness.... of sorts!
    • Reading Cycling Club (RCC)
« Reply #57 on: 11 June, 2009, 09:41:45 pm »
Add me to the riders list, but on the camping option - I like my peace and quiet !  ;D
LEL 2013 Events??:
PBP 2015 Qualifiers ??:

Time to look ahead.

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #58 on: 11 June, 2009, 10:07:40 pm »
Add me to the riders list, but on the camping option - I like my peace and quiet !  ;D

What with this and all the other 'snoring' allusions, is there something I need to know? Just who is this mysterious sleep apnea sufferer??! Is he/she really that bad?  ???

Methinks an investment in a pair of ear plugs tomorrow may be a good idea.

simonp

« Reply #59 on: 12 June, 2009, 12:51:09 am »

What with this and all the other 'snoring' allusions, is there something I need to know? Just who is this mysterious sleep apnea sufferer??! Is he/she really that bad?  ???

Methinks an investment in a pair of ear plugs tomorrow may be a good idea.

Yep.  Certainly a good idea (I am not the snorer though, but someone will be you can count on it).

scottlington

« Reply #60 on: 12 June, 2009, 07:13:07 am »

Yep.  Certainly a good idea (I am not the snorer though, but someone will be you can count on it).

Heh heh heh! that's what ALL snorers say!  ;D

« Reply #61 on: 12 June, 2009, 08:55:32 am »
Does anyone have a reliable GPX for this year? I found this track on Bikely but I don't know if it's accurate (I'll might not have time to check it this evening).

Dave

« Reply #62 on: 12 June, 2009, 09:56:42 am »
Quote from: MattH  I'm hoping for slightly cooler weather this time!
[/quote

I'm hoping for the opposite   8), its been a chilly June so far up  north. Did the snow roads 300 last weekend and was nearly back to wearing my winter clobber. Just about to wend my way down to sunny England after having a coffee.   

Bez

• Carpe Cerevisi.
« Reply #63 on: 12 June, 2009, 09:57:49 am »
Does anyone have a reliable GPX for this year? I found this track on Bikely but I don't know if it's accurate (I'll might not have time to check it this evening).

Dave

I don't know about the complete accuracy of that .GPX but a couple of quick observations:

a) it implies that you go through Beddgelert - the routesheet has you turn-off before Beddgelert
b) the .GPX has the Coed y Brenin Visitor Centre west of the A470 - it should be east.

Of course it could be me that has no idea about where I'm going (that has happened several times before).

JohnHamilton

« Reply #64 on: 12 June, 2009, 10:38:55 am »

Dave

I don't know about the complete accuracy of that .GPX but a couple of quick observations:

a) it implies that you go through Beddgelert - the routesheet has you turn-off before Beddgelert
b) the .GPX has the Coed y Brenin Visitor Centre west of the A470 - it should be east.

Of course it could be me that has no idea about where I'm going (that has happened several times before).

There's a couple of places where it's not quite right.

a) as above, you don't go through Beddgelert
b) Coed y Brenin used to be on that side of the A470 until a couple of years ago. Many maps still have it there as they haven't been updated yet. Can't miss it though - there's a huge brown sign pointing the way.
c) After Llanfaelog you turn of the A4070 before you get to the old A5 through to Caergeiliog.
d) After West Felton on the last leg you keep to the lanes rather than going as far as the A5.

I've got a GPX file at home. I'll bring my laptop down to the hall tonight and anyone who wants it can transfer it to their GPS.

simonp

« Reply #65 on: 12 June, 2009, 10:49:06 am »

Dave

I have one I made for last year, and I've updated it with the change U.N. Dulates already mentioned.  I've not used it before so caveat emptor. :)

Probably tricky for me to get it onto the web right now as I'm at work and will be travelling.  UN Dulates' file will come with some kind of seal of authority which mine cannot. :)

« Reply #66 on: 12 June, 2009, 11:03:35 am »
I'm looking forward to this now. I'll be riding up from Basingstoke with a colleague just after lunch. See you all there!

simonp

« Reply #67 on: 12 June, 2009, 11:21:53 am »
Bike fettled.  It has new cables all round, Edelux fitted, new front wheel, new bar tape, new chain, removed bar bag mount (bar bag will be for sale), removed space grip.

Chain doesn't seem to run very smoothly on the middle ring.  I think the middle ring will need to be replaced, but it'll survive.

simonp

« Reply #68 on: 12 June, 2009, 11:22:56 am »
PS I'll be on the 19.43 from London Euston arriving Shrewsbury 22.19, then cycling to Upton Magna.

Chris N

« Reply #69 on: 12 June, 2009, 04:12:37 pm »
Just packing my stuff - will be setting off for Upton in an hour or so.  Should be there around 9pm.  I'll be updating on twitter on the way round: @cnarborough, to see if it's workable for LEL.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #70 on: 12 June, 2009, 04:12:41 pm »
On the train with Swiss Hat who is on gears, sensible fellow.
Im on 71/67 wishing it was 71/63.
Too late now!

Chris N

« Reply #71 on: 12 June, 2009, 04:20:00 pm »
66" for the way out, 70" for back down the A5. :thumbsup:

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #72 on: 12 June, 2009, 04:29:22 pm »

Does that mean you can't claim this ride for the FWC given you're gearing ratio is not fixed :P

iakobski

« Reply #73 on: 12 June, 2009, 04:55:04 pm »

Does that mean you can't claim this ride for the FWC given you're gearing ratio is not fixed :P

It's not called the FGC - though perhaps it should be esp. when people start turning up with SA S3X hubs...

scottlington

« Reply #74 on: 12 June, 2009, 05:37:12 pm »
Finished installing new BB (in a vain attempt to stop a dreadful tick/creak,  tick/creak coming from 'somewhere down there'). Apologies to anyone who I may ride with in advance if the noise remains.

Pretty much packed and ready to go. Quick shower and I'm off! Probably be there about 22.00.