General Category > The Knowledge

Offset on Bottom Brackets

(1/2) > >>

revrob:
I've been looking at the Phil Wood Bottom Brackets on the company's website.

I'm using a 127.5 symmetrical BB at the moment

Does 123mm(R+5) mean that the LH crank will be in the same position as a 123mm symmetrical crank, but the RH side crank would be in the position that a 128mm symmetrical crank would be?

I hope this makes sense!

Many thanks,

Robert

harrumph:
I think it means that when installed the centre line of the bottom bracket shell will have (123-5)/2 mm of axle to the left of it and (123-5)/2 +5 mm to the right of it.

In other words, 59mm to the left and 64mm to the right.

I hope that makes sense!

Gattopardo:
Sorry bit off topic,

Would a normal bottom braket have a particular direction?

As I try and put the metal part on the chain side and the plastic on the other.  Is that correct?

harrumph:

--- Quote from: Lynx on 28 May, 2008, 12:45:17 pm ---Sorry bit off topic,

As I try and put the metal part on the chain side and the plastic on the other.  Is that correct?

--- End quote ---

If by "normal" you mean a Shimano square taper bottom bracket, yes, with current versions (UN54) the alloy side goes in on the RHS and the plastic supporting "cup" on the LHS.

If you have a British threaded frame, you can't put them in wrongly; the RHS is left-hand threaded and the LHS conventionally (right-hand) threaded.

Gattopardo:

--- Quote from: harrumph on 28 May, 2008, 12:51:54 pm ---
--- Quote from: Lynx on 28 May, 2008, 12:45:17 pm ---Sorry bit off topic,

--- End quote ---

If by "normal" you mean a Shimano square taper bottom bracket, yes, with current versions (UN54) the alloy side goes in on the RHS and the plastic supporting "cup" on the LHS.

If you have a British threaded frame, you can't put them in wrongly; the RHS is left-hand threaded and the LHS conventionally (right-hand) threaded.

--- End quote ---

Yes and it is a un54.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version