Author Topic: orange food  (Read 5031 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: orange food
« Reply #25 on: 08 June, 2023, 11:08:45 pm »
What was the orange powder called that could be turned into a gritty orange drink with the simple addition of tap water and six hours of stirring whereupon it would immediately separate? They were still serving it as 'orange juice' in the breakfast buffets of cheap hotels in the former Soviet block in the late 90s, early 00s (using quarter the specified amount).

Can’t remember what the filthy muck was called but it was heavily advertised on the back of cornflakes packets in Hong Kong when I was a small Mr Larrington.

Mr Google suggests the Kellogg's version was “Rise And Shine”.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #26 on: 09 June, 2023, 07:43:31 am »
What was the orange powder called that could be turned into a gritty orange drink with the simple addition of tap water and six hours of stirring whereupon it would immediately separate? They were still serving it as 'orange juice' in the breakfast buffets of cheap hotels in the former Soviet block in the late 90s, early 00s (using quarter the specified amount).

Can’t remember what the filthy muck was called but it was heavily advertised on the back of cornflakes packets in Hong Kong when I was a small Mr Larrington.

Mr Google suggests the Kellogg's version was “Rise And Shine”.

Introducing Kellogg's Yeast-and-Boot-polish breakfast cereal...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #27 on: 09 June, 2023, 09:03:37 am »
Probably worth another thread, but my memory of the 80s was experimenting with the toasted sandwich maker.

My brother and I were absolute masters of the baked bean toasty.

50%butter, 50% bread on each side, the real art was pouring the beans on and shutting the toaster without the beans being forced out of one side. If you got it right, the result were two crispy crunchy parcels containing beans so hot they'd take the skin off your mouth, tongue, lips, and fingers.

Other favourite fillings were banana or apple.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #28 on: 09 June, 2023, 09:13:13 am »
Back in the 50's we used to get some stuff called Suncap, which claimed to be orange juice and was 3 shades oranger than Donald.
I don't remember the name, but in the 70s we drank a sort of concentrated orange squash, it would be more accurate to say syrup, that came in a frosted glass bottle with a horizontal segmented design. It was thick and gloopy and probably contained some radioactive elements in whatever was left over after sugar.
Sunquick concentrate https://www.sunquick.com/concentrate/ ?
Just about the only diluteable fruit squash in Portuguese supermarkets and probably other countries as well, available in a wide range of flavours, and quite acceptable, if far too high in sugar. I haven't noticed any in UK supermarkets, except in Indian / Asian ones.
Yes! That was the stuff. I don't remember seeing any when I was in Portugal several summers ago and I don't know exactly where we got it from, but it was certainly not from an Asian supermarket as there was no such thing in small Gloucestershire towns in the 1970s.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #29 on: 09 June, 2023, 09:36:18 am »
And liquorish root, which was actually good for your teeth. I still remember the gob stopper riots of '68. Smash is still lurking around in the darker recesses of some supermarkets, this was made orangeish in the day, by the application of copious amounts of ketchup prior to vigorous stirring with a fork, although the better tasting instant French stuff seems to have disappeared since. The orange pyramids were called Jubblys from memory and lasted a considerable time when frozen, although the orange content would have been sucked out long before ultimate meltdown. I seem to remember that several cheeses were also available in various shades of orange.

Jubbly's I recall from around 1965, bought in Thornton Heath from one of those shed-shops constructed from green painted corrugated iron that was sited on Northwood road. Maybe that was a London and South East thing (Crowborough, where I later grew up, had at least 2, one a cobblers, one belonging to a photographer).

All orange cheese (Gloucester, Shropshire Blue etc.) is I believe coloured, often with annatto, though I would guess Kraft slices are beta carotene.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #30 on: 09 June, 2023, 09:46:46 am »
I remember a fad for liquorice root. It definitely wasn't orange! It wasn't particularly sweet either.

ian

« Reply #31 on: 09 June, 2023, 09:18:04 pm »
I think Red Leicester is just cheddar coloured with annatto too, but given it's orange, it's betterer and I eat lots of it. Apropos of nothing, I have a huge block of annatto in the spice cupboard, another victim of my not checking the size when ordering things on the internet, see also my 5kg bag of monosodium glutamate. It does encourage me to make a lot of pollo pibil which is no bad thing.

Toasted sandwiches, they were a very student thing, till our toasting machine reached the point where it was so claggy with exuded substance, we thought, erm, no*. I caught the pet nurse once trying to chisel off the worst of it with a chopstick. She once made toasted sandwiches with pot noodle filling. We didn't let her in the kitchen very often.

*we probably should have buried it, like I once did an irradiated thermocycler. Hopefully, the NRC statute of limitations applies.

« Reply #32 on: 09 June, 2023, 09:19:56 pm »
I remember a fad for liquorice root. It definitely wasn't orange! It wasn't particularly sweet either.
The bark was pretty orange lots of photos out there.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #33 on: 10 June, 2023, 12:26:57 pm »
Back in the 50's we used to get some stuff called Suncap, which claimed to be orange juice and was 3 shades oranger than Donald. Then of course in the early 50's there was NHS orange juice that came in medicine bottles and was sour in that pursed-lipped "it's good for you, you're not supposed to enjoy it" fashion.  Mind you, the juice of real oranges back then was usually acidic enough to etch glass or to dissolve unwanted bodies in.

My Mummy told me she sometimes mixed Welfare Orange with Strong Drinks.

At one point you could buy ultra concentrated orange juice in bottles from Denmark. They were also call Sun*** but I can't recall the latter part of their name.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #34 on: 10 June, 2023, 12:32:18 pm »
Sorry, but oranges, wedge after wedge after wedge of them, at half time,  in every single under 10s / under 11s football game I ever played.  Come to think of it, I think our manager must have had a thing about the colour orange as we played in the most tangerine kit you could ever imagine - shirt, shorts and socks.

But more in the spirit of the thread, it’s the bright orange oil that oozed out of the school dinner bolognese sauce and formed a unappetising slick on the plate around the equally unappealing lumpy mash that sticks in my mind.

Orange quarters were the favoured half-time refreshment at girls' netball matches too.

Not that I ever made the team (or any other non-swimming sporting team).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #35 on: 10 June, 2023, 12:39:03 pm »
Back in the 50's we used to get some stuff called Suncap, which claimed to be orange juice and was 3 shades oranger than Donald.
I don't remember the name, but in the 70s we drank a sort of concentrated orange squash, it would be more accurate to say syrup, that came in a frosted glass bottle with a horizontal segmented design. It was thick and gloopy and probably contained some radioactive elements in whatever was left over after sugar.
Sunquick concentrate https://www.sunquick.com/concentrate/ ?
Just about the only diluteable fruit squash in Portuguese supermarkets and probably other countries as well, available in a wide range of flavours, and quite acceptable, if far too high in sugar. I haven't noticed any in UK supermarkets, except in Indian / Asian ones.

Most 'natural' fruit juice is 10% sugar, give or take. Grape juice is more. Remove the water by whatever means you choose and you WILL have a high-sugar syrup.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #36 on: 10 June, 2023, 12:47:39 pm »
Anyway, most USAnian cheez-flavored food product is a colour not found in nature or indeed in many places outside Casa Bellicosa Mar-a-Lago, but you will keep eating it because it’s laced with crack.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #37 on: 10 June, 2023, 12:52:27 pm »
I have confess a liking for Cheezy Wotlets, which are an orange colour not found in nature.
The residue on your paws stains everything you touch.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #38 on: 10 June, 2023, 01:19:13 pm »
The bark was pretty orange lots of photos out there.
I had a googoole to refresh my memory, and it confirms that orange, like other colours, is subjective. It looked a pale brown to me back then and it still looks brown now.

« Reply #39 on: 10 June, 2023, 01:55:58 pm »
Subjective I know, but this is what I remember.

« Reply #40 on: 10 June, 2023, 07:37:09 pm »
Back in the 50's we used to get some stuff called Suncap, which claimed to be orange juice and was 3 shades oranger than Donald. Then of course in the early 50's there was NHS orange juice that came in medicine bottles and was sour in that pursed-lipped "it's good for you, you're not supposed to enjoy it" fashion.  Mind you, the juice of real oranges back then was usually acidic enough to etch glass or to dissolve unwanted bodies in.

At one point you could buy ultra concentrated orange juice in bottles from Denmark. They were also call Sun*** but I can't recall the latter part of their name.

And I recall small tins of frozen Florida Orange Juice.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #41 on: 11 June, 2023, 04:00:49 pm »

And I recall small tins of frozen Florida Orange Juice.

Frozen and needing 3:1 dilution.

Others have reminded me the concentrated  juice was Sunquick.

« Reply #42 on: 29 June, 2023, 08:21:32 pm »
No carrots available in Lidl this evening. I threw a bag away yesterday thinking that they looked a bit grotty. ::-)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #43 on: 29 June, 2023, 08:26:37 pm »
BZZZT!  Carrots, while technically orange, don't count for the purposes of this thread on account of being a vegetable.  Unprocessed oranges are on fairly shaky ground...

« Reply #44 on: 30 June, 2023, 08:55:22 am »
Certain cheese (fcvo cheesiness) slices are a rather fetching shade of orange, as I was reminded by a random YouTube offering.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #45 on: 30 June, 2023, 01:11:32 pm »
I was raised on very orange mild cheddar that barely counts as cheese. My mum still uses it.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."