Author Topic: Sturmey Archer rear hub with a sprocket on each side  (Read 427 times)

Sturmey Archer rear hub with a sprocket on each side
« on: 04 April, 2024, 03:12:00 pm »
I bumped into a lovely old gentleman who is still cycling in his eighties.  He came across some "scrap" wheels recently and he says that the rear appears to be a Sturmey Archer hub with a sprocket on each side.

Anybody come across these?

Re: Sturmey Archer rear hub with a sprocket on each side
« Reply #2 on: 07 April, 2024, 03:31:52 am »
Flip flop hubs are fairly common, but I had no idea that Sturmey Archer made them (or that Sturmey Archer was still in business, for that matter). At any rate, they seem to still be in production: https://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/products/rear-hubs

« Reply #3 on: 07 April, 2024, 10:26:52 am »
The brand was bought by a Taiwanese company a while back. Production of hubs is now in the far east, not Nottingham.
A flip-flop 3 speed hub would be something!
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 07 April, 2024, 10:32:46 am »
Sunrace bought the remains of SA when they went bust more than two decades ago. Quality went up, mostly because the wornout machinery shipped to Taiwan was quickly replaced.

I have never heard of a flipflop 3sp hub but SA hubs used as a mid-drive in tricycle have had a cog bolted to the LH flange for the final drive.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 07 April, 2024, 10:46:32 am »
Quality went up but design went down!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #6 on: 07 April, 2024, 01:50:59 pm »
I've never heard of a flip flop 3 speed hub either but that's what came into my mind when I read the thread title. Somewhat disappointed to see that it was just a common or garden single speed flip flop hub  ::-)
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo