Author Topic: TCR No9  (Read 16878 times)

Re: TCR No9
« Reply #25 on: 17 February, 2023, 01:43:02 pm »
Yes, that was me! Were we talking outside Will's house, and you'd got the train over from Cambridge(?) that evening? It was certainly a good shakedown ride.

Yep - impressive memory! See you in Geraardsbergen.

That said, they have deliberately made this year's one a little shorter but with more climbing, but that's fine by me (a statement I'll no doubt regret in late July).

After a couple of evenings with komoot it looks to me like a lot of the climbing is quite concentrated into a few sections, so hopefully will have a few flatish days in between the obvious lumpy bits. Trying to not get sucked too deep in to the route planning rabbit hole before more info on banned roads/tunnels etc gets published, but not doing very well so far...

« Reply #26 on: 17 February, 2023, 05:22:36 pm »
Is there a long, rough parcours this year?

« Reply #27 on: 17 February, 2023, 07:03:34 pm »

Yes, that was me! Were we talking outside Will's house, and you'd got the train over from Cambridge(?) that evening? It was certainly a good shakedown ride.

Yep - impressive memory! See you in Geraardsbergen.

Ah, you have a place too? Congratulations/commiserations. See you there!

After a couple of evenings with komoot it looks to me like a lot of the climbing is quite concentrated into a few sections, so hopefully will have a few flatish days in between the obvious lumpy bits. Trying to not get sucked too deep in to the route planning rabbit hole before more info on banned roads/tunnels etc gets published, but not doing very well so far...

Yes, I think that's a fair assessment of the route, though it sounds like you've done more planning than me so far...all I've done is my very rough draft so I had some numbers for the application (i.e. I just joined the dots between the CPs). I need to make sure I plug away at the planning this year rather than leaving it to the final month like I did with TPR. There's a lot more planning and permutations with this one!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

« Reply #28 on: 17 February, 2023, 07:06:12 pm »
Is there a long, rough parcours this year?
As mentioned above, I haven't looked in loads of detail yet, but I think the one in Albania will be fairly "roughstuff" and possibly the one in Slovenia. As with TPR, it brings up decisions on kit choices, though I expect I'll go with similar what I did for that race.

« Reply #29 on: 17 February, 2023, 11:51:53 pm »
Yep Albania looks like about 40km of rough

The 4th parcours around meteora looks super interesting though, it's split into three shorter mandatory sections but you can free route between them, which chucks up some options to take gravel roads that are way more direct/less hilly than the tarmac if youre feeling brave/lucky/flush with inner tubes

« Reply #30 on: 04 April, 2023, 11:52:23 am »
I see Christope Strasser has entered again for this years edition. He's obviously caught the unsupported bug.
often lost.

« Reply #31 on: 20 April, 2023, 12:16:13 pm »
I see Christope Strasser has entered again for this years edition. He's obviously caught the unsupported bug.

Where did you see this? One of the great things about these races is that nobodies like myself can get a direct comparison to people like Strasser, one of the best ultra-distance cyclists in the world. It's obviously not even a contest but it's still interesting to get that sense of perspective.

« Reply #32 on: 20 April, 2023, 12:31:27 pm »
I'm pretty sure it was on his instagram feed. he tends to be pretty chatty about how plans/goals etc.

Have you started your planning and prep yet?

often lost.

« Reply #33 on: 20 April, 2023, 01:02:37 pm »
Ah yes, I've checked his Instagram and seen the post. That's pretty exciting!

Prep-wise, I've been testing out some new kit, so I think I'm pretty happy with the bike which puts me way ahead of when I managed to get to that position with Trans Pyrenees. Still a few things I'm weighing up though, mainly related to sleeping kit/clothes (e.g. do I need this specific item or can I do without out it?).
Done a little bit of route planning but not much as the first issue of the race manual isn't out yet, so didn't want to get too detailed in case of changes, though I'd be surprised if there was any substantial change to control points or parcours at this point. I need to get cracking on that as it's a mammoth task to do well - weighing up which roads is the obvious one but then checking out border crossings and scouring the whole route for supply points, accommodation etc is going to be very time consuming!

« Reply #34 on: 20 April, 2023, 02:05:12 pm »

Prep-wise, I've been testing out some new kit, so I think I'm pretty happy with the bike which puts me way ahead of when I managed to get to that position with Trans Pyrenees. Still a few things I'm weighing up though, mainly related to sleeping kit/clothes (e.g. do I need this specific item or can I do without out it?).
Done a little bit of route planning but not much as the first issue of the race manual isn't out yet, so didn't want to get too detailed in case of changes, though I'd be surprised if there was any substantial change to control points or parcours at this point. I need to get cracking on that as it's a mammoth task to do well - weighing up which roads is the obvious one but then checking out border crossings and scouring the whole route for supply points, accommodation etc is going to be very time consuming!

Yup its quite the undertaking. Route choice the primary goal, plus legal border crossings; that was a hot ticket subject on the last TCR with penalties galore. I personally wouldn't get too bogged down in supply points; there's always something to grab en route, and there is google for a mid race drama like a bike shop.
I had a laugh at sleeping kit. One year I took a bivy but barely used it so took nothing the following year.
Im here in Brittany right now trying to fathom how to fit my massive "ultra light packable tent", sleeping bag etc onto my rig for a  gravel/mtb type event here that starts a week tomorrow. The (fixed) route hasn't been released yet but apparently will be "in the next few days"
Good luck with the rest of the prep. The ride up the torch lit Mur at the start is something unforgettable.
often lost.

« Reply #35 on: 20 April, 2023, 04:53:10 pm »
Would anyone know when the finishers party will be on TCR9 or indeed the GC cutoff? I think it's normally about 2 weeks or so after the start. Apologies if I missed the info on the RM or website.

« Reply #36 on: 20 April, 2023, 06:11:23 pm »
with one exception I believe it's been 15 days. (TCR no6 was 16 days, as slightly longer I believe.) Frank may be able to confirm.
often lost.

« Reply #37 on: 20 April, 2023, 07:28:23 pm »
The date of the party is certainly not in issue 0 of the race manual. I do wonder if they'll reduce it a little as this year's edition is a bit shorter, albeit sticking more to the mountains (I think). They've always said that issue 1 will be sent out in April, so any day now hopefully.

« Reply #38 on: 20 April, 2023, 07:32:48 pm »

Yup its quite the undertaking. Route choice the primary goal, plus legal border crossings; that was a hot ticket subject on the last TCR with penalties galore. I personally wouldn't get too bogged down in supply points; there's always something to grab en route, and there is google for a mid race drama like a bike shop.

Yes, I have read up on last year's controversy around border crossings, so will be looking into that on my route!
Good tip on supply points.

I had a laugh at sleeping kit. One year I took a bivy but barely used it so took nothing the following year.
Im here in Brittany right now trying to fathom how to fit my massive "ultra light packable tent", sleeping bag etc onto my rig for a  gravel/mtb type event here that starts a week tomorrow. The (fixed) route hasn't been released yet but apparently will be "in the next few days"
Good luck with the rest of the prep. The ride up the torch lit Mur at the start is something unforgettable.

That's leaving it pretty late to send out a route!
I'm not brave enough to go without sleeping kit, so am just trying to work out what amount to take. What I did on TPR worked pretty well, so I might be sticking with that.

« Reply #39 on: 20 April, 2023, 08:34:40 pm »

Strasser has also entered https://www.bhardultrarace.com/ as a warm up in June.

« Reply #40 on: 21 April, 2023, 11:29:41 am »
with one exception I believe it's been 15 days. (TCR no6 was 16 days, as slightly longer I believe.) Frank may be able to confirm.

I think it was 16 days last year.  It's all a bit of a fog now!  Not many people are that fussed about the GC cut-off, though. Whether you make the party or not is a bigger deal.  Getting an 'official' finish in an event that isn't recognised by any governing body doesn't mean an awful lot, IMHO.  However, I suppose it could be a useful motivator for someone who was around that time. 

No point in trying too hard to plan where you will sleep.  You might have somewhere in mind for the first night but chances are it will be too soon or too late.  After that, who knows where you will be on which night!

As Jonah says, in Europe there is generally food and drink within an hour or two of anywhere.  The only exception is the long, remote parcours - worth having a resupply plan for them.  Despite being well stocked from the previous night, I ran out of food and water on the one in Romania last year, and others did too. 

It was great to see that Strasser had entered again.  He stayed right to the end of the party last time and was very approachable.  I enjoyed speaking to him.  I'd actually read his book (which I'd recommend - although he needs to update it now with his TCR experience!), just before he announced he was riding, so I knew a bit about him already. I asked him if he was coming back but he said he'd have to think about it, which makes sense as a pro.  I'd expect him to be a lot quicker this year as he made quite a few big navigation errors last year and will have learned a lot (as everyone does from the first one).

« Reply #41 on: 22 April, 2023, 09:19:44 pm »
Seems that WVA might be getting the bike packing bug too.

https://road.cc/content/news/wout-van-aert-heads-epic-post-classics-bikepacking-trip-300745?fbclid=IwAR2VZFqVlDA7zZ5sElbtM-AIoyNr50hTBBGUGjCLjGEDrGLMZU-q9NLNVYo

Thats good to hear that Strasser was so friendly and approachable after the race, ne certainly comes across in that regard in his interviews.
often lost.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #42 on: 22 April, 2023, 09:34:03 pm »
Seems that WVA might be getting the bike packing bug too.

https://road.cc/content/news/wout-van-aert-heads-epic-post-classics-bikepacking-trip-300745?fbclid=IwAR2VZFqVlDA7zZ5sElbtM-AIoyNr50hTBBGUGjCLjGEDrGLMZU-q9NLNVYo

Thats good to hear that Strasser was so friendly and approachable after the race, ne certainly comes across in that regard in his interviews.

https://road.cc/content/news/wout-van-aert-heads-epic-post-classics-bikepacking-trip-300745?

Link without all the tracking crap.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #43 on: 19 July, 2023, 11:57:19 am »
best of luck this coming weekend to anyone who's signed and off into the hot box.
often lost.

« Reply #44 on: 19 July, 2023, 12:33:44 pm »
Thanks. Sweaty cap 226.

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
« Reply #45 on: 19 July, 2023, 06:54:26 pm »
Thanks. Sweaty cap 226.

Good luck Davef. Think we met briefly on the Pendle 600.

« Reply #46 on: 20 July, 2023, 10:48:10 am »
best of luck this coming weekend to anyone who's signed and off into the hot box.

Cheers! Cap 279. After spending a week getting progressively more nervous about all the news of heatwaves etc. its looking like the first hack across france and the alps might be wet and mild. Perhaps some sort of weather karma after the uncharacteristically dry and not-windy transatlantic way...

« Reply #47 on: 20 July, 2023, 10:50:23 am »

Cheers! Cap 279. After spending a week getting progressively more nervous about all the news of heatwaves etc. its looking like the first hack across france and the alps might be wet and mild. Perhaps some sort of weather karma after the uncharacteristically dry and not-windy transatlantic way...

TAW and TCR in the same year. You nutz. chapeau.
often lost.

« Reply #48 on: 23 July, 2023, 06:13:20 pm »
Looking to be absolutely rotten weather for the start, just praying to get up the muur in one piece

« Reply #49 on: 23 July, 2023, 06:35:23 pm »
Looking to be absolutely rotten weather for the start, just praying to get up the muur in one piece

Hang off the back and take in the vibe. Thats what I did in no6.
 Mind the dropped bananas/lights/gloves/etc on the way up though.

Rain will keep you cool. You got it.
often lost.