Author Topic: Long(er) TT  (Read 1599 times)

Long(er) TT
« on: 05 August, 2008, 09:35:05 am »
I have just identified two late season 25-Mi TT in my area, one of which at least I'd like to do. I have started riding my track/TT fixed bike more and doing 25 to 40-Mi brisk rides (close to 21 Mi/h average on Sunday). I am now comfortable on the bars for the distance I think. I have also tried to work up the gradients in the saddle and on the bars and I am improving. I currently ride a 79'' gear which I am happy with for the local terrain; I will go and do one of the courses soon, but what else should I do training-wise? Reps?
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
Re: Long(er) TT
« Reply #1 on: 05 August, 2008, 11:13:53 am »
The one that has really worked to up my speed, or hold down a harder effort for longer, is hill repeats.

Find a good hill, go up it repeatedly and time yourself. Apart from anything else it will be a benchmark to see where you are fitness wise for the years to come.

gonzo

« Reply #2 on: 05 August, 2008, 03:01:52 pm »
I find that hilly reps are great for TTs too. Bathwick was my favourite; 5 minute reps at over 90%max HR which was great at building the zone that you want to be in.

« Reply #3 on: 05 August, 2008, 03:33:49 pm »
Do you work the hill "in the saddle"? I therefore need to find a hill with some gradient, but nothing too steep, correct? If this is the case I know where to start...

gonzo

« Reply #4 on: 05 August, 2008, 03:50:09 pm »
I do one sitting, one standing, one siting. For me, this is an excercise for the cardiovascular system not the muscles as such (different muscle groups in the TT tuck anyhow) so avoiding too low a cadence is vital.

« Reply #5 on: 05 August, 2008, 03:56:13 pm »
I do one sitting, one standing, one siting. For me, this is an excercise for the cardiovascular system not the muscles as such (different muscle groups in the TT tuck anyhow) so avoiding too low a cadence is vital.

Fixed... but I agree; with a 79'' I can maintain a healthy pace up some of the local bumps.