Author Topic: commuting time up by 30%  (Read 1393 times)

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
commuting time up by 30%
« on: 10 December, 2013, 01:16:09 pm »
I am struggling with my commute.

It was ok in the summer etc as it was taking around 1hr 15mins on average. A bit shorter in the morning but that was due to the fact it was more downhill and the wind was the right way.

However, currently its taking up to 1 40mins on average which is a dampener as I thought I would at least maintain my pace.

My speed now averages 12.5mph, from the ealier 14.5 which is quite a drop. I guess some of it is due to having a mtb, but its running slicks and the front fork is on lockout. Also weight wise its not that far off the steel road bike.

Any ideas on what I should or not be doing?

thanks

Re: commuting time up by 30%
« Reply #1 on: 10 December, 2013, 01:19:10 pm »
I'd guess this is a combination of things

Less aero on the mtb

Not putting power out as efficiently (which might change with muscle adaption to different position)

Cold and denser air making it harder.

My 'fast' average in summer is 1hr 25min.
That goes up by 5-10min in winter

Even if I have a tailwind, winter times are 5 min longer. That's on the same bike.

Best thing I find is to shrug and get on with it, but then I only ride 3 days a week.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #2 on: 10 December, 2013, 01:23:09 pm »
Do not worry too much. Most of us slow down over the winter months. We wear more clothes, we feel the clothes.  We misjudge our speed in the dark. Careless people like me also get a little fatter especially at the end of this month.  This all adds up to a slightly less sporty you.  After Christmas as the days lengthen and hope returns to the solar powered cyclist you will return to your happy zippy self.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 10 December, 2013, 01:25:17 pm »
It doesn't matter what you do with bikes and clothing, in winter you're always going to be burning extra energy to heat your body and all that air you're exhaling.

I'd be delighted to average 12.5mph at any time of year  :-\

« Reply #4 on: 10 December, 2013, 01:27:01 pm »
I find it's best not to watch the time in winter.  Ease up and enjoy the changing scenery.

Cold muscles, more clothes, more weather, low level bugs all round, etc.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #5 on: 10 December, 2013, 01:58:57 pm »
My 30 minute commute is up by 5-6 minutes at present. I am not feeling as fit as I did in the summer but the main problem in London is the bloody traffic. It is absolutely terrible at the moment- I spend most of my time weaving and dodging just to get anywhere.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 10 December, 2013, 10:17:12 pm »
Don't want to worry you, but when Butterfly slowed down on her commute, it was because she was pregnant (and didn't know).
Getting there...

« Reply #7 on: 10 December, 2013, 11:15:29 pm »
When my commuting was the same route every day, I reckoned to lose, on average, about 1 mph during winter. However a week of windy weather would treble that.

Are you struggling literally, i.e. knackered but very slow, or is it the depressing effect of being slower with no obvious explanation?

« Reply #8 on: 11 December, 2013, 12:33:22 am »
At least 15% down myself. Due to slippery roads and the cold, so more clothing I think. I am on a steel road bike, but if I switched to a mountain bike, I wouldn't be surprised to lose another 15%. Riding position is a bigger factor than tyres I find and of course in winter on rural routes it tends to be more windy anyway and as there is less hedge and tree cover the impact of this is increased.

So don't be downhearted. It is admirable still to be riding :)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #9 on: 11 December, 2013, 06:57:12 am »
Didn't you know that some bloke goes round in November and cranks up all the hills so they get steeper.  If you keep going through the winter then magically the same bloke goes round and slackens the hills off again in the spring.  Then you'll see the benefits.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #10 on: 11 December, 2013, 12:37:18 pm »
My average speed has dropped from around 18-19mph to 16-16.5mph max.  just keep plugging away, get those winer miles in the bank & you'll be flying next summer  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #11 on: 11 December, 2013, 02:48:19 pm »
Summer: 23kph
Winter: 19kph

(Different bike, different weather, different light, different enthusiasm. Height of summer I can do it at 28)

Chill.

velosam

« Reply #12 on: 11 December, 2013, 04:04:10 pm »
I think its also the fact that i seem to be overtaken by everyone!

Phil W

« Reply #13 on: 11 December, 2013, 07:03:29 pm »
GPS stays off the bike on commute now. I just adjust effort based on what I fancy doing but don't worry about speeds or times. Anyway the pub is ever so tempting on the commute home at this time if year.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #14 on: 11 December, 2013, 08:10:35 pm »
"commuting time up by 30%"

Excellent! Well done for stepping up your training schedule  :thumbsup:

</glass half full>
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

velosam

« Reply #15 on: 12 December, 2013, 07:38:01 am »
"commuting time up by 30%"

Excellent! Well done for stepping up your training schedule  :thumbsup:

</glass half full>

That is a good perspective!

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #16 on: 12 December, 2013, 09:29:48 am »
when I did a nice long commute every day, this time of year the time it takes goes up because

1) cold air in the lungs and stiff cold legs go slower
2) in the summer i sometimes use a really light racing bike
3) in the winter I am wearing a couple of kilos more clothing
4) in the wet I tend to brake earlier into corners and take corners slower overall

30% slower doesn't sound unreasonable.   I would be happy with that

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #17 on: 12 December, 2013, 10:44:59 am »
didn't notice my commute times going up, but the recent 200k audax i rode took 1h longer compared to ones ridden in summer (same bike, but with more robust tyres and mudguards now)