Author Topic: Sanoodi for BlackBerry  (Read 4751 times)

Sanoodi for BlackBerry
« on: 20 March, 2009, 04:36:48 pm »
I have just downloaded this app for my BlackBerry.  I don't really know what it can do yet but it seems to record a route using the internal GPS on the BB but what happens to it then ??????

Possibly uploads it to the Sanoodi website (a Bikely type thing), we'll see.

Anyone any experience of it?

How about going the other way and uploading a route to the BB.

R

Title edited for clarity!

Re: Sanoodi
« Reply #1 on: 20 March, 2009, 05:03:17 pm »
I have a Blackberry (supplied with my job) so I'll give this a go.  The website isn't at all clear about what happens to the routes but I'd guess there has to be some way to get to them for export.  If nothing else it might stop me moaning about what a useless piece of junk the Blackberry is!  :)
What's this bottom line for anyway?

Re: Sanoodi
« Reply #2 on: 20 March, 2009, 05:12:26 pm »
Oh, it's not totally useless!

;)

Re: Sanoodi for BlackBerry
« Reply #3 on: 21 March, 2009, 01:27:56 am »
OK, registered and downloaded Smap.  The documents say that recorded routes can be exported, so I'll try it out tomorrow (well, today actually).

« Reply #4 on: 21 March, 2009, 06:06:15 pm »
Used it twice now.  You have to set up an account with Sanoodi and then log on to the BB Smaps with the same details.

When you have recorded a route it can be uploaded to their server and it appears fairly quickly.  gpx files can also be exported and recorded on the BB SD card except mine doesn't work!

A route can be uploaded live to a Twiter account (whatever that is !!) so your friends can see where you are.

We have just done a 30ml ride and the BB stopped recording at 25ml - don't know why, maybe an overflow problem as it was set to record at 1 sec intervals.

Eventually found a pdf user manual which is usefull.

Not bad as a freebie using a GPS that exists but if I can get the export to work it could be better.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #5 on: 21 March, 2009, 08:15:41 pm »
A route can be uploaded live to a Twiter account (whatever that is !!) so your friends can see where you are.

"Russell has reached Great Waldingflaps!" posted on the internet messaging service Twitter.  Neat way to update your position on epic rides...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #6 on: 22 March, 2009, 09:37:16 pm »
I've managed to record a car trip and a walk, both of which the Blackberry says have been successfully uploaded to the server.  However I haven't managed to export the route as a GPX, even though I can find all the photos, ringtones and other stuff on teh Blackberry's SD card, no sign of any GPX.  Some more digging to do.  ::-)

« Reply #7 on: 23 March, 2009, 10:37:25 am »
Sounds just like my experience Seamus.  If you look on the memory card, either using the BlackBerry Explorer or Windows Explorer you should see alongside the BlackBerry folder a Sanoodi - SMap folder which contains an error log txt file.

This is mine:

Date: 2009-03-20 Time: 16:25:59 Started recording route home
Date: 2009-03-20 Time: 17:14:11 Started recording journey home
Date: 2009-03-20 Time: 17:19:31 Started recording journey home
Date: 2009-03-20 Time: 18:00:38 java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: invalid character in name
Date: 2009-03-20 Time: 18:17:44 java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: invalid character in name
Date: 2009-03-20 Time: 20:27:47 Username: ****** has been verified!
Date: 2009-03-20 Time: 20:28:10 Route: "journey home" created on the server
Date: 2009-03-20 Time: 20:31:48 java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: invalid character in name
Date: 2009-03-21 Time: 09:55:39 Started recording phil Hampton
Date: 2009-03-21 Time: 10:01:31 Route: "phil Hampton" created on the server
Date: 2009-03-21 Time: 10:01:34 TwitterResponse: java.util.NoSuchElementException
Date: 2009-03-21 Time: 17:30:57 java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: invalid character in name

The invalid character line is the supposed gpx export.

amaferanga

« Reply #8 on: 23 March, 2009, 12:24:14 pm »
Used it twice now.  You have to set up an account with Sanoodi and then log on to the BB Smaps with the same details.

When you have recorded a route it can be uploaded to their server and it appears fairly quickly.  gpx files can also be exported and recorded on the BB SD card except mine doesn't work!

We have just done a 30ml ride and the BB stopped recording at 25ml - don't know why, maybe an overflow problem as it was set to record at 1 sec intervals.

Eventually found a pdf user manual which is usefull.

Not bad as a freebie using a GPS that exists but if I can get the export to work it could be better.

I tried a similar application on an 8310 called AllsportGPS, but gave up after it repeatedly crashed mid route.  Luckily I was still using a free trial version.  I also found that, compared to even a basic Garmin Etrex or Edge 205, the GPS signal was dropped a lot and consequently the quality of tracks was very poor.

The Mechanic

« Reply #9 on: 23 March, 2009, 01:40:25 pm »
My Dingleberry (work supplied) doen't have GPS.  Just as well by the sound of it.  I do have google maps on it.  This gives your position in relation to the mast you are logged on to.  Not accuate positionwise but useful for finding your way around a strange town. 

« Reply #10 on: 23 March, 2009, 01:43:53 pm »
I recorded most of my drive to work this morning and the route uploaded to the Sanoodi site shows the start and end points joined by a straight line.  The edit tools on the web site haven't allowed me to fix this.  The web site also seems to keep running scripts which IE7 complains about constantly.

I've sent them a "close but no cigar" message as feedback.  ;D

« Reply #11 on: 24 March, 2009, 05:49:01 pm »
I've just received a beta version of SMaps that fixes the gpx export bug (and a few others) but it came as a zip file attachment and I don't know what to do with it.  I've gone back to the nice man at Sanoodi to ask.

I had lots of script errors on Firefox whan I tried to edit a route as well.

« Reply #12 on: 24 March, 2009, 10:10:02 pm »
I also received a beta of a new version of Smap.  It came as a zip file and all I had to do was extract the two files therein and then point my Blackberry Desktop Manager program at the folder they unzipped to, so that Smap got upgraded.

It has fixed the problem of joining the start and end points of a route but I still haven't managed to export any GPX files. The Blackberry says it has created the file but it doesn't show up either on the SD card or in the device memory.

Their website works much better with Firefox and I have managed to edit some routes there.

I have to say I'm quite impressed by their speed of response to comments.  Now to find out if they really can fix the GPX export.

« Reply #13 on: 25 March, 2009, 12:45:53 pm »
...all I had to do was extract the two files therein and then point my Blackberry Desktop Manager program at the folder they unzipped to, so that Smap got upgraded.

Sorry to be a dunce - but do you mean that you connected the Dilberry to your laptop (say) with the USB cable and extracted the two files within Windows.  Then used the Desktop Manager program which is loaded onto the laptop to upgrade SMaps?

If so I may have a problem as I have a new phone (on a different network) that has not yet been connected to the laptop.

Oh well!

« Reply #14 on: 25 March, 2009, 04:41:07 pm »
Yes, connect the BB to the PC and upgrade using the Application Loader module that's part of the Desktop Manager software.

I have now successfully exported GPX files, I think that maybe having the BB connected to the PC (which was able to read/write the SD card) was preventing the BB saving to the SD card.

Next trick will be to see if I can extend the OpenStreetmap around Lurgan!  ;D

« Reply #15 on: 26 March, 2009, 11:30:57 am »
Now running the beta version and can export gpx files but they are saving to phone memory which cannot be accessed by PC.  Will enquire how to change the destination directory.

I have now recorded the route home twice and merged the routes and generally the tracks are between 1 and 3 metres apart for the majority of the ride.  The only area where there is significant deviation is passing under a major underpass in heavy traffic where the difference is 25m.

« Reply #16 on: 27 March, 2009, 12:08:24 am »
Russell, mine saved to the phone memory at first.  What you need to do is start Smap and at the first menu screen don't choose any of the three options.  Instead press the BB's menu key and you'll get a pop-up menu that includes a Settings option.  Choose this and you get to a screen list of the settings.  Second on the list is Storage Type.  Select this and you get the option to change that from internal to SD Card. Sorted!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #17 on: 27 March, 2009, 11:56:33 am »
Been there, done that, all works, thank you!!

;D

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #18 on: 31 March, 2009, 08:48:35 pm »
Having trouble loading onto my B'berry. when I try to load the smap.alx file Desktop Manager tells me "no additional applications could be found"!

Any ideas?

« Reply #19 on: 01 April, 2009, 10:59:39 am »
Suggest you try accessing Sanoodi WAP Site using the Blackberry browser and download from there.

Or are you trying to load the beta version from a zip file?  I think I was confused by the message I saw but it did load successfully.

PaulF

« Reply #20 on: 01 April, 2009, 11:00:47 am »
Here's a plot (from my iPhone rather than Blackberry) Sanoodi route - work.

Maybe it's because it's in an urban area but the plot isn't that accurate ??? I didn't actually do such a 'random walk' at all.

PaulF

« Reply #21 on: 01 April, 2009, 11:05:39 am »
Suggest you try accessing Sanoodi WAP Site using the Blackberry browser and download from there.

Or are you trying to load the beta version from a zip file?  I think I was confused by the message I saw but it did load successfully.

Thanks, that did the trick