Author Topic: The lesser known beautiful places to ride thread  (Read 1629 times)

chris

• (aka chris)
The lesser known beautiful places to ride thread
« on: 20 April, 2010, 01:32:54 pm »
Mrs chris' parent live on Bute a beautiful part of the world, that people often overlook due to it being only a few miles from its better known neighbour - Arran. Bute and the Cowal peninsular to the north has some fantastic riding.

There must be many other places like this, so I thought a thread to share a few pictures of our favourite places might provide us all with some inspiration.

Arran from Ettrick Bay, Bute -

The view from the road above Scalpsie Bay, Bute -

South Bute -

Arran from St Ninians, Bute -

Typical Bute Road -

Ideal for family riding -

The Kyles of Bute from the Teighnabruaich Road -

Enjoying the view -

The weather can be a bit changable -

It's a nice day ride down to Great Cumbrae (aka The Cycling Isle), but although there were 100s of bikes on the coast road we didn't see any others at the view point -

Millport, Great Cumbrae -

On top of the world (well the Island if you want to be pedantic) -

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Re: The lesser known beautiful places to ride thread
« Reply #1 on: 21 April, 2010, 08:39:33 am »
What lovely lovely pics Chrissers. Thanks for posting these. I don't do any travelling with m'bike and only pootle round Sussex. I could post pics I've taken on various jaunts locally, but they would be far inferior to the super ones you've shown here. I salute you! <saluting smiley>
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #2 on: 21 April, 2010, 10:09:45 pm »
Makes me feel very nostalgic.  As a wean in Glasgow, Bute was just reachable on a day ride on my Motobecane.  If I recall correctly, I cycled over the Erskine Bridge having cycled out the Forth and Clyde Canal, train from Bishopton to Weymss Bay, ferry to Dunoon, and did a long loop that ended up finishing in Rothsay with the train home again.  Fond memories!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3 on: 21 April, 2010, 11:08:42 pm »
Out tonight on the Carse of Gowrie. Beautiful weather, virtually no traffic (saw almost as many cyclists as cars in 30 miles). Great sunset on the Fife hills across the Tay as we rode back into town.

Spoiled for choice, that is for sure.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #4 on: 22 April, 2010, 09:13:59 am »
lovely photos