Author Topic: A Special Moment  (Read 1799 times)

clarion

• Tyke
A Special Moment
« on: 04 September, 2013, 09:59:42 pm »

CNV00017 by TJ Clarion, on Flickr

I don't know this kid.  I don't know his dad.  What I do know is that, as I was walking home through Tabard Gardens, Southwark, this lad rode his bike on his own for the very first time, with his sister riding close by, calling encouragement.

A beautiful thing to see. :)
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: A Special Moment
« Reply #1 on: 05 September, 2013, 12:33:31 am »
I had the privilege a while back of a kid who'd only just got the hang of it stop alongside to admire my bike.  After a while mum had caught up and they set off again, wobbling.  I suggested they look where they want to go, rather than at their bike, and off they went!  (Proper Cyclists having more authority in such matters than parents, presumably.)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 05 September, 2013, 09:32:59 am »
 :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LEE

« Reply #3 on: 05 September, 2013, 10:50:28 am »

March 2003.  How time flies, she's just started her first day at college today.

We went to the local park (acres and acres of flat football grounds) and I held the saddle for a while then discreetly let go.

That's my daughter riding off.  I could hear her saying "don't let go..don't let go..." .

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 05 September, 2013, 11:50:50 am »
:thumbsup:

I can understand the joy and excitement of your own kid setting off on their own (although, in one case, for me, it was a mix of astonishment and concern that he might ride down the stairs).  What surprised me was the surge of joy that some kid I've never met has just taken such a liberating step. :)
Getting there...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 05 September, 2013, 06:22:06 pm »
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles