Author Topic: Busch and Muller led lights won’t turn off  (Read 2590 times)

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
Busch and Muller led lights won’t turn off
« on: 01 February, 2019, 07:34:34 am »
I finally fitted this light. And really like it. Got home after a 60 mile ride four days ago. Thought I had switched it off, but the two little leds it has are still on! How on earth do you turn them off!

Re: Busch and Muller led lights won’t turn off
« Reply #1 on: 01 February, 2019, 07:51:05 am »
You need to be a bit more specfic.
What model of light is it?

« Reply #2 on: 01 February, 2019, 08:16:21 am »
I finally fitted this light. And really like it. Got home after a 60 mile ride four days ago. Thought I had switched it off, but the two little leds it has are still on! How on earth do you turn them off!
Standlights?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 01 February, 2019, 08:20:10 am »
I wouldn't mind standlights that lasted four days! Firstly, is this a battery or dynamo light?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #4 on: 01 February, 2019, 08:44:46 am »
If it's a Secula battery then it could be one of the ones with the impossible switches, I resorted to putting a bent pin in to push the switch as the rubber plunger on the outer wasn't working with it.
If it's got the same switch as the IXON IQ-X then it may be the button press has only put it on the low setting, in which case it needed a long press to turn off from high.

« Reply #5 on: 01 February, 2019, 09:01:18 am »
If they are on but really faint I've had this with battery LEDs before - although not B&M. I ended up replacing it on warranty and the second one did it as well so I got my money back and used it on dynamos.

In fact there's an old cheap LED battery light in a box in the cupboard which is very faintly glowing and has been for months. Sorry I can't help why this happens but it seems to be an LED thing.

But try the switch thing first.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #6 on: 01 February, 2019, 10:02:05 am »
Perhaps the OP can give more information; like, How long did the two LEDs stay lit for after the ride?

« Reply #7 on: 01 February, 2019, 10:55:14 am »
If they are on but really faint I've had this with battery LEDs before - although not B&M. I ended up replacing it on warranty and the second one did it as well so I got my money back and used it on dynamos.

In fact there's an old cheap LED battery light in a box in the cupboard which is very faintly glowing and has been for months. Sorry I can't help why this happens but it seems to be an LED thing.

My bold.
I think it is also a flourescent tube thing - where they continue to faintly glow after they've been switched off.

« Reply #8 on: 01 February, 2019, 12:02:08 pm »

My bold.
I think it is also a flourescent tube thing - where they continue to faintly glow after they've been switched off.

Yeah, the inner coating is what fluoresces, and it retains a small charge when the power is turned off, so continues for a short while.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 01 February, 2019, 12:03:56 pm »
I can imagine a design (not a very good one) where a tiny amount of current flows through the LED in order to make a soft on/off switch work...

As to the OP's problem, more clues required.  B&M make an awful lot of different LED lights...

« Reply #10 on: 03 February, 2019, 11:44:47 am »
I've got a Luxos U where the DRL LEDs glow for days if not weeks after use. I can't pretend it's bothered me enough to do more than raise an eyebrow.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 03 February, 2019, 12:20:34 pm »
There's a very sound hypothesis that the Germans lost WWII because German engineering is crap.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #12 on: 03 February, 2019, 12:35:02 pm »
I've got a Luxos U where the DRL LEDs glow for days if not weeks after use. I can't pretend it's bothered me enough to do more than raise an eyebrow.

Mine did that during one phase of its death spiral.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #13 on: 05 February, 2019, 12:27:58 pm »
Sorry folks..been off yacf for a couple of days.  thought I posted name of light in message header, but see I didn't.  Its the Luxos U

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #14 on: 05 February, 2019, 12:33:30 pm »
They went off finally after 6 days. I only ride this bike about once a week. It does one 60 to 100 mile or so ride a week, generally.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 05 February, 2019, 02:57:42 pm »
There's a very sound hypothesis that the Germans lost WWII because German engineering is crap.
If they'd lost to the Japanese I might go with that hypothesis.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16 on: 05 February, 2019, 03:27:09 pm »
They went off finally after 6 days. I only ride this bike about once a week. It does one 60 to 100 mile or so ride a week, generally.
I'm guessing there's a dodgy connection somewhere which meant they didn't disconnect from the battery or capacitor which powers the standlight. Someone who knows about electrics will hopefully be prodded by this post into telling the correct process that's going on and maybe even how to fix it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #17 on: 06 February, 2019, 12:12:59 am »
I'm guessing there's a dodgy connection somewhere which meant they didn't disconnect from the battery or capacitor which powers the standlight. Someone who knows about electrics will hopefully be prodded by this post into telling the correct process that's going on and maybe even how to fix it.

The Luxos U is software/microprocessor controlled with various fragile electronics. It's not really amenable to DIY fixing.

(or frankly, being used outdoors)