Author Topic: It's a wonderful life  (Read 15227 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: It's a wonderful life
« Reply #50 on: 30 April, 2015, 09:49:42 pm »
Yes, and that is an eon in Internet time. There was a great forum that had erudition in spades, crafted posts that jumped off the page and tugged at your cerebrum, making run of the mill forums look exactly that.

Then it all went away and here was born. Other internet stuff is ephemeral, but that forum was different. And people still remember it and miss it. Who knows, maybe one day we will miss incessant Guardian links, or ESL logic, or the edge of pumpe, but for now, they are still here. And we cannot miss them.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #51 on: 30 April, 2015, 09:54:08 pm »
I thought "some" was implicit, but feel free to read it in if you want, and if you feel it clarifies the fact I wasn't intending to generalise to everyone.

Seems 'Putting the Why in YACF' is no longer directly accessible.
Google cache remembers, for the moment.
most people still seem to be treating me like a leper
Oh, the humanity.
What I see there is someone whining because he's being treated like a normal human being, not the centre of attention. He does it quite eloquently, which is nice, but I find it surprising. What does he expect? Most people here don't know who he is. Why should they react to him as if he's important?
Was it shock and awe holding their tongues? Or fear and loathing?
See what I mean? Of course, it's really indifference, or just a simple failure to notice him.

The post above was written when I was feeling particularly sorry for myself, because most people still seem to be treating me like a leper.
Again - WTF? He's treated normally (which for most people, most of the time, means that most of the world doesn't even notice they're there) & takes it as a slight. We didn't treat him as important & special, so we've treated him like a leper.  :facepalm:
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #52 on: 30 April, 2015, 10:24:29 pm »
I've been trying to craft a witty and erudite post, but the thread keeps moving and the moment disappears.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #53 on: 30 April, 2015, 10:29:49 pm »
I've been trying to craft a witty and erudite post, but the thread keeps moving and the moment disappears.
C'mon.
You can do better than that.
No pressure  :P

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #54 on: 30 April, 2015, 10:40:13 pm »
C'mon.

I'm still working on it.

« Reply #55 on: 30 April, 2015, 10:53:47 pm »
If he just got on with posting normally, people would react normally.
He's treated normally (which for most people, most of the time, means that most of the world doesn't even notice they're there)

Looking back through (some of) the deleted posts that Google still holds shows exactly that: normal posts, leading to normal reactions (including indifference and being ignored). Fairly healthy, in other words.

But I suppose normal reactions don't support the notion that you might be a special flower.

« Reply #56 on: 30 April, 2015, 10:57:03 pm »
^
::-)

« Reply #57 on: 30 April, 2015, 11:13:44 pm »
Nice to see how welcoming some folk are.
Welcomes are  often dependent on how one arrives .....

« Reply #58 on: 30 April, 2015, 11:16:04 pm »
C'mon.

I'm still working on it.
Is it a good use of your time?

« Reply #59 on: 30 April, 2015, 11:24:37 pm »
It's like alt.bigfoot but without the fur and mysterious footprints.

I'm a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma underneath a cagule of doubt. More to follow...
... and I'm the queen of Sheba.
Why can't you let sleeping dogs lie?  You had your idea, it got fucked-up and people moved on.  Maybe you should as well?  I'm certain you have more in you than picking at scabs and showing them to us.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #60 on: 30 April, 2015, 11:33:25 pm »
Yes, and that is an eon in Internet time. There was a great forum that had erudition in spades, crafted posts that jumped off the page and tugged at your cerebrum, making run of the mill forums look exactly that.

Then it all went away and here was born. Other internet stuff is ephemeral, but that forum was different. And people still remember it and miss it. Who knows, maybe one day we will miss incessant Guardian links, or ESL logic, or the edge of pumpe, but for now, they are still here. And we cannot miss them.

Yes, well said. I miss it still, and the trivia that ended it was basically a lot of flouncing on all sides. Stuff was said. Nobody died. Sam is unique and anything but ordinary, and it's fascinating that his presence causes so much disquiet at this distance from those events. Yet Sam can't disrupt the running of this forum; his influence is limited to those who wish to read what he has to say - which, as always, is quirky and convoluted. More than ever, it's worth reminding ourselves that we read what we wish to and we don't have to read anything we don't wish to. YACF is impervious to the Threat of Sam. For those for whom other things here are more pressing, move along.

And what Steph said, too.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #61 on: 30 April, 2015, 11:41:44 pm »
C'mon.

I'm still working on it.
Is it a good use of your time?

No, the law of diminishing returns set in long ago. It seemed like a very good idea when it occurred to me on a sunny spring morning when I had a slumbering grandson over my shoulder, of all the ACFs I have started and what has happened to them along the way. Much of it unexpected, little of what was intended, and the best bit is that they have all left me and taken on lives of their own and become bigger and better than anything I could have hoped for. All pretty satisfying really. The best bit is that I'm on good terms with all of them, despite the many mistakes I've made.

I will submit the first sentence, but none of the rest of it is worth anything.

Many years ago, when I was a callow fellow, I met a girl who had better ideas than I did about what I was going to do with the rest of my life.

« Reply #62 on: 30 April, 2015, 11:58:58 pm »

I will submit the first sentence, but none of the rest of it is worth anything.

Many years ago, when I was a callow fellow, I met a girl who had better ideas than I did about what I was going to do with the rest of my life.

That's lovely.  :thumbsup:
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #63 on: 01 May, 2015, 12:38:26 am »
Thank you. Fishing for compliments as ever, I just read it to Mrs. Wow and asked her what she thought.

"That depends on who you were talking about!" came the reply.

:facepalm:

« Reply #64 on: 01 May, 2015, 02:19:25 am »
Thank you. Fishing for compliments as ever, I just read it to Mrs. Wow and asked her what she thought.

;D
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #65 on: 01 May, 2015, 06:24:56 am »
 ;D
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #66 on: 01 May, 2015, 07:57:16 am »

That's you put in your place ;) 

« Reply #67 on: 01 May, 2015, 10:44:13 am »
I've been trying to craft a witty and erudite post

and Mrs Wow provided you with one.

sam

« Reply #68 on: 01 May, 2015, 10:46:53 am »
Google cache does such ugly things to a page, I've retrieved the document critiqued upthread from the invisible depths of the back of the sofa, if only to satisfy my sense of æsthetics. People can judge for themselves if they're so inclined.

Why not take the opportunity to vote if you decide to visit? 'Tis the season.

Set in good real estate amongst the tumbleweeds and blog posts is a Library, or what's left of it after a less than elegant cull towards the end of that brief dark age. Along with Post of the Day, it remains as a memorial to the departed.

It's not easy for me to be at Yacf – anybody diving into dusty archives should be able to fathom why – but that hasn't stopped me from experiencing a wave of attraction every now and then. There's a quickie explanation here, embedded in a typically jokey format, but there's far more to it than that. It's too complicated to go into on this thread, and besides, I think those who want to understand, will.

You can hold me to this pledge: no more "flamboyant" (awww, that's just my way of saying howdy) delurkings – though I never really did much 'lurking' over the years. It paints the image of a Peeping Tom spending long hours in sweaty appraisal of his quarry.

And no more stories about the past.

Some of your posts have brought good cheer – thank you.

Now may I please post my picture of a toaster with wheels popping up?

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #69 on: 01 May, 2015, 02:17:31 pm »

Wise lady.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

sam

« Reply #70 on: 02 May, 2015, 06:05:44 am »
Ah, I missed that. I blame my mouse for scrolling too fast.

In a word: wow.
In a few more: I never get tired of writing, or reading. Sometimes fact, sometimes fiction. Sometimes there's fact in fiction and sometimes not; the reader decides. At the end of a sunny spring day or the beginning of another one, with birds singing outside my window, it remains a wonderful life.