Author Topic: ACME Winter Brevet Populaire Series  (Read 71699 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: ACME Winter Brevet Populaire Series
« Reply #25 on: 18 May, 2016, 02:32:31 pm »
Looking at dates, the deadline for planning events up to the end of the year is looming [ie the first two events of the ACME series]. It's 01/07/2016.

How about the 1st Saturday of the month?: 5th November, 3rd December, 7th January, 4th February. Not many clashes to avoid at present, just Andy Terry's Santa Special on 18th Dec and the Willy Warmer on 22nd January, though there are other events further afield. I'd like to bagsy the 3rd December, as it's near my birthday.  :thumbsup:

Any takers to organise the first of the series? Bonfire Night will be a fun one for those out after dark ECE-ing/riding home.  :D

I'm happy to suggest routes and help out with the organising.  But I don't want to have to jump through AUK shaped hoops to become an official AUK organiser.

« Reply #26 on: 18 May, 2016, 03:08:42 pm »
So I was thinking...

A one-a-month 100km series from say, November to February: X-rated, mid-morning [10:00?] pub start to facilitate ECE-ing to 200. Ride to a good café and back via a few info controls.

I'd take this on myself, as it's not too arduous a project, but is any of the Mid-Essex Crew interested in dipping a toe into the waters of organising?? There's myself and Huggy who could mentor and help get things started.

Start of choice would for me be the 'Battisford Court' Wetherspoons in Witham. Lots of room, decent size beer garden for cycle-parking, good choice of food [and beer  ;D]. Witham has good train and road links and it's not too big a town to find reasonably quick routes out into the countryside. Chelmsford or Colchester would be less attractive. Well placed for routes out to the coast, up to Suffolk [Wally's Cafe?] and indeed all points of the Compass...

Thoughts...?

You have PM
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

huggy

• ACME GCFO +&+ Mr RRtY
    • ACME
« Reply #27 on: 18 May, 2016, 03:13:15 pm »
Looking at dates, the deadline for planning events up to the end of the year is looming [ie the first two events of the ACME series]. It's 01/07/2016.

How about the 1st Saturday of the month?: 5th November, 3rd December, 7th January, 4th February. Not many clashes to avoid at present, just Andy Terry's Santa Special on 18th Dec and the Willy Warmer on 22nd January, though there are other events further afield. I'd like to bagsy the 3rd December, as it's near my birthday.  :thumbsup:

Any takers to organise the first of the series? Bonfire Night will be a fun one for those out after dark ECE-ing/riding home.  :D

I'm happy to suggest routes and help out with the organising.  But I don't want to have to jump through AUK shaped hoops to become an official AUK organiser.
I guess it's easiest for me to take the 5th November as I'm already on the Organiser list, allows a little time for others to jump through the AUK shaped hoops if they so wish, or also able to simply continue to be a nominal Organiser.
If nothing else appears as a route I could rerun the A little Essex R&R 100k, it should be fine for autumnal roads as well as summer ones.
Another ride of the correct distance, just needs appropriate controls to be designated and maybe a little finessing to make it a calendar/perm ride - Wallys Cafe 100k
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #28 on: 18 May, 2016, 03:44:49 pm »
I have to confess that I got as far as downloading the form and then realised that becoming an organiser was a little more involved than I had expected  :facepalm:
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #29 on: 18 May, 2016, 05:18:25 pm »
I don't want to have to jump through AUK shaped hoops to become an official AUK organiser.

That seems a shame

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: 18 May, 2016, 06:51:11 pm »

I guess it's easiest for me to take the 5th November as I'm already on the Organiser list, allows a little time for others to jump through the AUK shaped hoops if they so wish, or also able to simply continue to be a nominal Organiser.
If nothing else appears as a route I could rerun the A little Essex R&R 100k, it should be fine for autumnal roads as well as summer ones.
Another ride of the correct distance, just needs appropriate controls to be designated and maybe a little finessing to make it a calendar/perm ride - Wallys Cafe 100k

Run R&R in Reverse? [The Three Rs?]

I'm working on a fun route that uses Stansted Airport as the 50km control. And a possible checkpoint on the return at the Compasses...

huggy

• ACME GCFO +&+ Mr RRtY
    • ACME
« Reply #31 on: 18 May, 2016, 07:08:00 pm »
Run R&R in Reverse? [The Three Rs?]
That could work very well  :thumbsup:
Maybe with an info at Abberton Reservoir Visitor Center. 
The Essex 3 R's  :D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #32 on: 18 May, 2016, 07:13:55 pm »
I don't want to have to jump through AUK shaped hoops to become an official AUK organiser.

That seems a shame

I have enough on my plate!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: 23 May, 2016, 08:22:09 pm »
ACME Winter Series #2, 100km 'project' in the planner...10:00 Saturday 3rd December 2016.  :thumbsup:

X-rated, Mudguards required, Toilets [at the 'spoons], 12.5-30kph, £4 entry fee.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #34 on: 24 May, 2016, 06:58:08 am »
 :thumbsup:

huggy

• ACME GCFO +&+ Mr RRtY
    • ACME
« Reply #35 on: 24 May, 2016, 09:40:16 am »
ACME Winter Series #2, 100km 'project' in the planner...10:00 Saturday 3rd December 2016.  :thumbsup:

X-rated, Mudguards required, Toilets [at the 'spoons], 12.5-30kph, £4 entry fee.
ACME Winter Series #1, 100km 'project' in the planner...10:00 Saturday 5th November 2016. 
X-rated, Mudguards required, Toilets [at the 'spoons], GPS track to be provided, 12.5-25kph, £4 entry fee.

Provisionally the reverse of the A Little Essex R&R route to be named Essex 3 R's [Rivers & Reservoirs Reversed]
I'll register it after a test ride of the 'standard' route this weekend.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: 30 May, 2016, 03:42:38 pm »
Another thought - should we have a subtitle for each of the series? #2 would be either: 'The Plane Spotter' or 'The Stansted Express' I think...

I have scoped out an excellent but well hidden cyclists' café on the HSBC Thremhall Park site, almost directly at the end of the runway.

January or February's might be on a Templars/Compasses theme, since we have that concept already well thrashed out. We'd like a trip to the seaside too - Mersea... ted??  :thumbsup:

I might go with a 12.5 - 30kph range to tempt the sportivistes and racing clubs out...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #37 on: 30 May, 2016, 04:06:25 pm »
Another thought - should we have a subtitle for each of the series? #2 would be either: 'The Plane Spotter' or 'The Stansted Express' I think...

I have scoped out an excellent but well hidden cyclists' café on the HSBC Thremhall Park site, almost directly at the end of the runway.

January or February's might be on a Templars/Compasses theme, since we have that concept already well thrashed out. We'd like a trip to the seaside too - Mersea... ted??  :thumbsup:

I might go with a 12.5 - 30kph range to tempt the sportivistes and racing clubs out...

Good idea!  That's marketing that is!

« Reply #38 on: 30 May, 2016, 07:46:56 pm »
I need to fill in some forms then...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Phil W

« Reply #39 on: 30 May, 2016, 08:05:25 pm »
Have you got a windmill one, that could be "The Windy Miller"?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: 03 June, 2016, 09:02:04 am »
#1 & 2 registered  :thumbsup:

Deadline for registering January and February's events is 1st October...

huggy

• ACME GCFO +&+ Mr RRtY
    • ACME
« Reply #41 on: 13 June, 2016, 12:10:03 pm »
The Essex 3R's on 5th November is in the calendar ready for your entry  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #42 on: 13 June, 2016, 12:41:42 pm »
The Essex 3R's on 5th November is in the calendar ready for your entry  :thumbsup:

Entered!

« Reply #43 on: 01 September, 2016, 10:54:19 pm »
I've entered the first and am expecting to enter the second. Looking forward to details of the others appearing in the calendar.

I enjoyed the Norfolk Nips series mentioned up-thread. One year, I did them all by trike. Hmmm...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #44 on: 01 September, 2016, 11:15:28 pm »
any chance of starting any a bit further north?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #45 on: 01 September, 2016, 11:26:34 pm »
What, like Norfolk for example? ;D

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #46 on: 02 September, 2016, 07:23:16 am »
I was thinking more norf essex or sarf cambs perhaps.  Maybe even Newmarket/Bury
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #47 on: 02 September, 2016, 08:03:22 am »
There are events from Ugley/Henham?

Anyone know anything about trains to Witham? It seems to take an hour and a half, with a change. We can get from North Herts to London in 25 minutes. I'd have expected at least some fast trains to Chelmsford?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #48 on: 02 September, 2016, 08:12:51 am »
any chance of starting any a bit further north?

You need to talk to Wilkyboy [Camaudax...] otp. I'm sure he'll mentor you for your first event as an organiser  :thumbsup: :)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #49 on: 02 September, 2016, 08:16:06 am »
Anyone know anything about trains to Witham? It seems to take an hour and a half, with a change. We can get from North Herts to London in 25 minutes. I'd have expected at least some fast trains to Chelmsford?

Witham is on the East Anglian mainline and you can get here after a luverly 45 minute train ride from Liverpool Street.