Author Topic: ACME Winter Brevet Populaire Series  (Read 71704 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: ACME Winter Brevet Populaire Series
« Reply #50 on: 02 September, 2016, 08:55:17 am »
any chance of starting any a bit further north?

You need to talk to Wilkyboy [Camaudax...] otp. I'm sure he'll mentor you for your first event as an organiser  :thumbsup: :)

:o :o  After a grand start of 2 events in Feb and March, it's taken until last week to get to my third as rider. Chances of becoming an organiser at the moment = 0.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

huggy

• ACME GCFO +&+ Mr RRtY
    • ACME
« Reply #51 on: 02 September, 2016, 10:19:43 am »
#1 & 2 registered  :thumbsup:

Deadline for registering January and February's events is 1st October...
Tedshred has picked up the baton for January (although yet to see it in the calendar)
Anyone else for taking on the February ACME Winter BP Series event or shall Tomsk and I toss for it??
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #52 on: 02 September, 2016, 11:23:59 am »

Tedshred has picked up the baton for January (although yet to see it in the calendar)
Anyone else for taking on the February ACME Winter BP Series event or shall Tomsk and I toss for it??

Not I, at least not this year.  Between the monday after the Flatlands right up to the 1st Oct, it looks likely I'll be in PARTS FORRIN.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #53 on: 02 September, 2016, 11:30:30 am »

Not I, at least not this year.  Between the monday after the Flatlands right up to the 1st Oct, it looks likely I'll be in PARTS FORRIN.

How FORRIN?  Suffolk?

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #54 on: 02 September, 2016, 11:33:04 am »
Hong Kong/Singapore/Kuala Lumpur FORRIN
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #55 on: 02 September, 2016, 11:34:30 am »
Hong Kong/Singapore/Kuala Lumpur FORRIN

Ah, those places must be in Norfolk, they sound quite exotic.  Be careful up there.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #56 on: 02 September, 2016, 07:02:38 pm »

I've never organised an event but might be up for putting together a swift 100km that would start and finish near Theydon Bois or Epping tube stations, so would be easy to get to for London-based riders too. Would I have to have the whole route and controls in place before I can put it forward for the calendar?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

huggy

• ACME GCFO +&+ Mr RRtY
    • ACME
« Reply #57 on: 02 September, 2016, 08:02:18 pm »

I've never organised an event but might be up for putting together a swift 100km that would start and finish near Theydon Bois or Epping tube stations, so would be easy to get to for London-based riders too. Would I have to have the whole route and controls in place before I can put it forward for the calendar?
having a rough plan is useful but not essential to have it all fleshed out straight away. However, you do need to be at least a rookie organiser to submit an event which means a few hoops to jump through.  If you have a route and a plan though an established organiser may be willing to help and submit it, officially owning it but you could do all the leg work 😉

« Reply #58 on: 02 September, 2016, 08:21:22 pm »
Witham is on the East Anglian mainline and you can get here after a luverly 45 minute train ride from Liverpool Street.
Hour and a half on the day of the first event.

Looking again, there's a bus service. Must be engineering planned. That would explain the time, anyway.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #59 on: 02 September, 2016, 09:11:28 pm »
Witham is on the East Anglian mainline and you can get here after a luverly 45 minute train ride from Liverpool Street.

Looking again, there's a bus service. Must be engineering planned. That would explain the time, anyway.
So that sounds like an involuntary ECE for us Londoners

huggy

• ACME GCFO +&+ Mr RRtY
    • ACME
« Reply #60 on: 02 September, 2016, 09:40:31 pm »

Bugger  >:(

Redlight

« Reply #61 on: 03 September, 2016, 09:39:52 pm »
Is the Stansted Express running that day? It's a shorter and more pleasant ride from there to Witham than riding all the way out of London.

I may be able to take a couple of people from SE London so long as you're happy to make your own way back or wait a long time for me to turn up at the Arrivee!

Redlight

« Reply #62 on: 03 September, 2016, 09:43:02 pm »
If you have a route and a plan though an established organiser may be willing to help and submit it, officially owning it but you could do all the leg work 😉

Thanks Grant.  I've been reading all of the guidance on the AUK site.  You may hear from me by PM!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #63 on: 04 September, 2016, 11:03:51 am »

So that sounds like an involuntary ECE for us Londoners

I think there was some thought that putting a 100km event on roughly 50km from Londonshire might aid RRTY ECE options for some, so I'd say go for it.... :)
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #64 on: 04 September, 2016, 11:11:27 am »
Isn't Witham within 50 miles of London?  In fact all of mid-Essex is!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #65 on: 04 September, 2016, 11:21:58 am »
An ECE can be all about the outbound distance to the event or asymetric, key thing is it is a multiple of the standard distances, so if you get 100km in before the event, thats good, or 60/40 with the event in the middle, thats good to... (working assumption of a desire to make a 100km up to a 200km over all )  :thumbsup:

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #66 on: 04 September, 2016, 03:48:30 pm »
 Yes rumours of hideous engineering works. Def up for a 100k starting at the spoons as long as not working that weekend. Would also be willing to help with some organisation.

huggy

• ACME GCFO +&+ Mr RRtY
    • ACME
« Reply #67 on: 04 September, 2016, 05:58:46 pm »
Took an unexpected opportunity to test the Essex 3Rs route sheet today.  A few minor edits and additions required, nearly ready to publish.
Set out with some trepidation with the wind forecast but it's only 107km so what could go wrong apart from it feeling like more headwind than tailwind. Got to the D&B cafe just before Sunday closing time for some essential quality control of caik and coffee - they passed again!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #68 on: 04 September, 2016, 10:31:08 pm »
 :thumbsup: Great news... I also managed to plot a 100km route with 50km bang on the 'spoons in Witham, so might be an option for ECE from Chelmo as well :)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #69 on: 08 September, 2016, 09:03:44 pm »
Took an unexpected opportunity to test the Essex 3Rs route sheet today.  A few minor edits and additions required, nearly ready to publish.
Set out with some trepidation with the wind forecast but it's only 107km so what could go wrong apart from it feeling like more headwind than tailwind. Got to the D&B cafe just before Sunday closing time for some essential quality control of caik and coffee - they passed again!

Huggy
does that mean that the gpx will change?

huggy

• ACME GCFO +&+ Mr RRtY
    • ACME
« Reply #70 on: 09 September, 2016, 09:21:59 am »

Huggy
The edits are enhancements to the route sheet. However, I am going to take a look at an alternative route between Stow Maries and Rettendon to see if it's more pleasant, safer junctions and quieter traffic.  Going out to ride that section this weekend.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #71 on: 09 September, 2016, 09:53:12 am »

Huggy
The edits are enhancements to the route sheet. However, I am going to take a look at an alternative route between Stow Maries and Rettendon to see if it's more pleasant, safer junctions and quieter traffic.  Going out to ride that section this weekend.

Don't forget you promised to build in Hag Hill  ;D

huggy

• ACME GCFO +&+ Mr RRtY
    • ACME
« Reply #72 on: 09 September, 2016, 10:21:05 am »
Don't forget you promised to build in Hag Hill  ;D
Maybe I could put in an optional gratuitous loop up Hagg Hill and back round to the route to be rewarded with half a pint at the Battesford Court arrivee while the organiser is in attendance to check PoP....something else to add in to the route check at the weekend...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #73 on: 09 September, 2016, 10:23:42 am »
Just put an info control on Hag Hill!  People will love you forever!!!

huggy

• ACME GCFO +&+ Mr RRtY
    • ACME
« Reply #74 on: 10 September, 2016, 07:13:33 pm »
Witham Winter 100k Series #4 in planning stage - Knights Templar Compasses and Cross
Saturday 4th February 2017, 10am start from The Battesford Court Wetherspoons pub.
Loosely based on the Essex mystery of how pubs called The Compasses and churches have a curious geographic placing
First draft of route with points of interest related to the Knights Templar.