Author Topic: Mae Mr Pickwick yn mynd i chwilio am ddreigiau a chwedlau (PBP 600))  (Read 23197 times)

Re: Mae Mr Pickwick yn mynd i chwilio am ddreigiau a chwedlau (PBP 600))
« Reply #250 on: 17 June, 2015, 06:12:21 am »
I've just been checking my perm cards, in particular the 600km ones.

It appears that someone may have bought a Populaire perm of this event, they were planning to take a week to ride it.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I think they may have rode it at the w/e as a recce.

;D Yes, you're quite right. Having recce'd it I think it would make a fantastic tour. 5 days should cover it. Why people try and squeeze it into 2 is beyond me.

« Reply #251 on: 17 June, 2015, 08:51:23 am »

I did my best in the bunkhouse, but the guy next to me had a space blanket. Fair enough, he has to keep warm, but it was like someone was continuously unwrapping a giant boiled sweet right next to my ear!

Sorry, that was me. Due to the lack of blankets I was sharing it with the guy next to me on the bed, and it was a bit too small for that - which meant a lot of pulling to and fro. If it's any consolation, I didn't get much sleep either.

« Reply #252 on: 17 June, 2015, 08:55:00 am »
I've just been checking my perm cards, in particular the 600km ones.

It appears that someone may have bought a Populaire perm of this event, they were planning to take a week to ride it.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I think they may have rode it at the w/e as a recce.

;D Yes, you're quite right. Having recce'd it I think it would make a fantastic tour. 5 days should cover it. Why people try and squeeze it into 2 is beyond me.

;D ;D
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #253 on: 17 June, 2015, 09:39:46 am »
If I had known there were space blankets I'd have been under it as well.

Still don't understand how people do multiple ones of these. The after effects are not pleasant. I'm so ill it's not funny.

IanH, yep, the 'time trial to the finish' thing, that's nearly how it felt for a while, well, not quite, but in some ways. Except I usually time trial at 27mph, and on Sunday, I can quite safely say we were not doing that ;)

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #254 on: 17 June, 2015, 12:53:57 pm »
I did my best in the bunkhouse, but the guy next to me had a space blanket. Fair enough, he has to keep warm, but it was like someone was continuously unwrapping a giant boiled sweet right next to my ear!
Sorry, that was me. Due to the lack of blankets I was sharing it with the guy next to me on the bed, and it was a bit too small for that - which meant a lot of pulling to and fro. If it's any consolation, I didn't get much sleep either.
Not to worry, I was so tired that I went back to sleep straight away.

I forgot to say that it was a pleasant surprise to discover that "Red Lane" (503.0   SO @ X, $? Unsuitable for Motors), between Quabbs and Lloyney had been resurfaced. There was a bit of debris on the road, but it wasn't the unrideable mess of rocks and mud from last year.  Blacksheep obviously has some dirt on someone in the Welsh transport agency or similar.  :thumbsup:

The 5-day tour version does appeal. Maybe I can persuade Erica, take the tandem and even see Pen-y-pass in the daylight.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #255 on: 17 June, 2015, 03:34:47 pm »
Not being able to make the ride, despite it being in my diary for some months, it's been a joy to read the reports. I spent the weekend in a campsite near Ludlow with the family looking West dreaming of what should have been. Well done to everyone that finished. I will join you one year.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #256 on: 17 June, 2015, 09:29:51 pm »
Quote from Bairdy:
I'd love to ride it over 3 days sometime to take it all in again but with enough time for a well earned pint or two and a proper kip in the evenings.
[/quote]

I'll come along to this version of the ride, if you fancy company  ;D

« Reply #257 on: 17 June, 2015, 11:28:25 pm »
I think it was September 2013 Mrs. BlackSheep and I rode this as a tour.

Setting out from Tewkesbury the first day we rode to Llandovery,  overnight stop at "The Level Crossing" a great independent hostel. Although it's next to (surprise, surprise) the level crossing, trains don't run at night - so it's peaceful. Day 2, a short trip up to Devil's Bridge, and a night in the Haffod hotel, next morning day 3 started with a drop down to the A44, a trip around Pendam and up the coast to Dolgellau,  staying in another independent hostel next to the Natwest bank. 4th day was along the coast controlling in Barmouth then a west coast trek all the way to Pen-y-Groes, cutting inland back to Bedgellert, pen-y-pass, Capel Curing,  and the drop into a hotel in Betws-y-Coed. Day six was the cross country trip passing lakes Bala and Vernwy, stopping for the night just outside Newtown in a large guest house. Day 6 we took a leisurely trip to Leominster where we stayed just to the north of town in a farmhouse b&b. Final day 7 we meandered back home via Ledbury.  The weather was dry, bright and a bit draughty in the main. We got wet once, and that was three miles outside Tewkesbury.

I think the populaire perm allows almost 9 days for Completion, but we were touring. So in the rack pack and panniers carried a set of spare cycling clothes and a set of casual clothes, along with the extra creature comforts that might not get included in a randonnuer event.

On average we did 55 to 60 miles a day, which was broken by plenty of cafe stops and long lunch breaks.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #258 on: 17 June, 2015, 11:31:13 pm »
I forgot to say that it was a pleasant surprise to discover that "Red Lane" (503.0   SO @ X, $? Unsuitable for Motors), between Quabbs and Lloyney had been resurfaced. There was a bit of debris on the road, but it wasn't the unrideable mess of rocks and mud from last year.  Blacksheep obviously has some dirt on someone in the Welsh transport agency or similar.  :thumbsup:

Oh, I remembered last year and planned a detour..

Went straight on after Anchor, where others way ahead of me turned left up the hill, and I zoomed down a lovely, wide gently curving road, wide enough for two cars more or less, all the way to the B road just before Beguildy, and then along said B road, which was mainly downhil, good surfaced, and often good for 50+ kph

As I passed the side road where folks were due to rejoin the B road I glanced left and saw four folks who had been waaaaay ahead of me.. Needless to say I was going so fast they didn't catch me for miles.....
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #259 on: 18 June, 2015, 10:47:00 pm »
Including the commute,  ive done about 100miles since Sunday.

Just took "good" wheels off the bike (hadnt gotten round to it before now). Rear is down to canvas   :o

The commute isnt THAT abrasive, even the Sustrans bit. So i blame some abrasive fast mountain descents, and good-old fashioned Bad Bike Maintenance by Matt.  (Although it wasnt brand new at Saturday's start, I did choose that tyre from a selection of possibles   :facepalm:  )

<thanks whatever god blacksheep prays to>
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #260 on: 18 June, 2015, 11:41:52 pm »
^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^

Matt, you better get some new ones for summer 2017  ;) ;)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #261 on: 19 June, 2015, 12:08:24 pm »
^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^

Matt, you better get some new ones for summer 2017  ;) ;)
Not sure I'll bother - still holds air, and now LC carries a spare!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #262 on: 24 June, 2015, 04:24:59 pm »
Thanks Mark and Co, you did a great job. Just got round to uploading some photos:

I thought it was a great ride. Will certainly have a think about doing the Highlands, West Coast & Glens next year.  :thumbsup: