Author Topic: A Rough Diamond, 300km, Teddy bears picnic 100km, July 11th 2015.  (Read 13754 times)

Re: A Rough Diamond, 300km, Teddy bears picnic 100km, July 11th 2015.
« Reply #25 on: 22 May, 2015, 06:34:56 am »
ah good shout, i know the gravel path from Dr Foster's Winter Warmer I think. Will sort a route around that, the Gloucester stuff'll be allright though quite enjoyed that.

Really enjoyed the Gloucester docksides / city centre / across Cathedral bits, brilliant routeing by Mark  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #26 on: 22 May, 2015, 09:53:38 pm »
actually very enjoyable  :thumbsup:, routeing along gravel towpath after Slimbridge and some great cross city paths at Gloucester
I only live a mile or so from it.

Eddington Number 75

Mr Green

• LEL, SR, RRtY, 24TT
« Reply #27 on: 23 May, 2015, 01:31:55 pm »
I'm in... I have wanted to ride the Rough diamond for a while now, it's supposed to be goodie.  :smug:
What a lot of effort just for a cloth badge.

« Reply #28 on: 23 May, 2015, 05:56:29 pm »
I am hovering over the enter button but cant quite pluck up the courage to enter my first 300. I am a full value 200 rider so wont get much rest time on a 300.

Also it would require me to arrange time off work so maybe the perm version would be a better option I usually ride long stretches of calendar rides on my own anyway.

Its the arrivee on perms that's a bit miserable sometimes with only a cash machine to chat to  :-[

« Reply #29 on: 23 May, 2015, 09:58:01 pm »
Go on, Banjo.
The Rough Diamond is a great ride and not too hilly - perfect for a first 300, I think.

« Reply #30 on: 23 May, 2015, 10:00:21 pm »
I've said it before, but IMO if you're not sure about stepping up from one distance to another, it can be a good idea to enter an event of the lower distance that's about 30-60km from home, and plan to ride there and back. Enter it as an ECE if you want and you're adding >100k (and benefit from a lower min speed for the overall of extra+nominal event distance), or simply ride it - no real time pressure, and a real boost to confidence once you've done it, because if you've ridden (say) 35+205+35km, a 300km event is only 10% extra.

(Or alternatively, just say sod it, and enter. Chances are you'll ride a 300 faster than 1.5x a 200 anyway, because of groups forming and greater control spacing, plus this *is* described as a fast route ...)

« Reply #31 on: 23 May, 2015, 11:49:18 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement. looks like it will have to be the perm if I am going to do it this year.

« Reply #32 on: 25 May, 2015, 07:14:24 am »
This will be my first 300 as well. I had hoped to build up with a few 200's and go out most weekends. This plan has been scuppered as I fractured my wrist and the cast isn't off until mid June at the earliest. So 4 weeks to go from zero cycling to 300, and I am a full value rider on 200's at the best of times.
I am going to try and do it. I've got a 200 and a 140 before it and will see how I get on with those first.
Life is good even in a cockle shell.

« Reply #33 on: 25 May, 2015, 12:05:14 pm »
Crikey that was bad luck.I hope the wrist heals in time for you .puts my lack of motivation into perspective.

« Reply #34 on: 25 May, 2015, 01:34:49 pm »
This will be my first 300 as well. I had hoped to build up with a few 200's and go out most weekends. This plan has been scuppered as I fractured my wrist and the cast isn't off until mid June at the earliest. So 4 weeks to go from zero cycling to 300, and I am a full value rider on 200's at the best of times.
I am going to try and do it. I've got a 200 and a 140 before it and will see how I get on with those first.

Sorry hear that and hope wrist heals up quickly; but FWIW R-D as a first 300 is a good choice, it`s relatively flat, hillier bits are in first 100km ish and run back from Severn Bridge along Severn is very pleasant indeed, and if there`s a tailwind it will roll you along on last 60-70 km. Best wishes for full recovery and the ride :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #35 on: 01 June, 2015, 11:21:03 am »
I am planning to do the perm version as my first 300 some time this month. 

Being a full value 200 rider my strategy is to pretend its a 200 and get there with a little bit of spare time in hand then plod along the final mostly flat 100 kms at close to minimum speed or whatever I can manage then get to the finish with out losing the time in hand gained in the first 200kms.

This is obviously not a greatly scientific plan but it may just work for me.

My confidence was boosted by finishing the very hilly Barcud Coch 200 perm in time (only just)

« Reply #36 on: 01 June, 2015, 11:24:49 am »

Being a full value 200 rider my strategy is to pretend its a 200 and get there with a little bit of spare time in hand then plod along the final mostly flat 100 kms at close to minimum speed or whatever I can manage then get to the finish with out losing the time in hand gained in the first 200kms.

My confidence was boosted by finishing the very hilly Barcud Coch 200 perm in time (only just)
you'll be fine banjo from what I've heard this is a pretty fast course.

Does anybody have any recomendations for acomodation near to Tewkesbury with twin rooms available for the Friday
nam dan on fb

« Reply #37 on: 01 June, 2015, 01:44:28 pm »

Does anybody have any recomendations for acomodation near to Tewkesbury with twin rooms available for the Friday

There's both travelodge and premier Inn on J9M5.  J D Wetherspoon is also a hotel. Camping at lower lode Inn.  I will post links to you.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #38 on: 01 June, 2015, 01:51:41 pm »

There's both travelodge and premier Inn on JUMP.  J D Wetherspoon is also a hotel. Camping at lower lode Inn.  I will post links to you.

Thanks a lot, seems I couldn't work the travelodge website I've managed to get a twin now. Wetherspoon's website was not encrypted which put me off.
nam dan on fb

« Reply #39 on: 05 June, 2015, 02:00:14 pm »
I rode the perm yesterday and was delighted to roll back into Tewkesbury with over an hour to spare.

It really is a beautiful scenic ride. and I hope you get similar weather in July.

For anyone doing their first 300 ( as I was) don't worry (like I did) Apart from some very short bits its all on good roads the hills aren't brutal. I am quite happy to walk  up big hills but even I didn't need to on this ride.

I have been finishing 200 k audaxes with only half an hour to spare lately but had over an hour to spare on this one.

Unless you are super fit I would take good lights. The lanes coming back from the Severn bridge to Gloucester got very dark last night my 2 cree torches were barely good enough.

I didn't fancy the canalpath in the dark so after slimbridge I routed across to the A38 then along Bristol Rd into Gloucester, There was very little traffic I stopped on the A38 to put leggings on and a car stopped ,worrying at first but the kind couple merely asked me if I was ok which was nice.

Good luck to everyone riding it in July, you are in for a treat.

« Reply #40 on: 05 June, 2015, 02:37:31 pm »
I didn't fancy the canalpath in the dark so after slimbridge I routed across to the A38 then along Bristol Rd into Gloucester, There was very little traffic I stopped on the A38 to put leggings on and a car stopped ,worrying at first but the kind couple merely asked me if I was ok which was nice.

My TT bike needs to avoid the canalpath too, any chance of grabbing your gps file, and the short bad bits of road, were they too brutal for said bike?

Dan
nam dan on fb

« Reply #41 on: 05 June, 2015, 03:39:23 pm »

My TT bike needs to avoid the canalpath too, any chance of grabbing your gps file, and the short bad bits of road, were they too brutal for said bike?

The route I picked from Slimbridge to A38 went up a really rough farm road so you would be better to ask someone else about that.looking at the map I used longaston Lane to get to the A38 and that was quite rough especially in the dark.

The roads on the official route were all good, The paths around Worcester were fine to ride, smooth wide and I encountered very few pedestrians there.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #42 on: 05 June, 2015, 04:30:14 pm »
One day I'll get to do this ride, really was planning on it this year but irritatingly my brother in law appears to be 40 on on this day and there is a 3-line-whip to attend his B'day party in NodnoL  :(
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #43 on: 06 June, 2015, 12:31:49 am »
I've entered this as my first 300 and am suitably bricking it  :sick:

I've done a 200, quite a few hilly 100s and a 150 this year, so I'm hoping for the best.  :o

« Reply #44 on: 06 June, 2015, 12:38:12 am »
I rode the perm yesterday and was delighted to roll back into Tewkesbury with over an hour to spare.

It really is a beautiful scenic ride. and I hope you get similar weather in July.

For anyone doing their first 300 ( as I was) don't worry (like I did) Apart from some very short bits its all on good roads the hills aren't brutal. I am quite happy to walk  up big hills but even I didn't need to on this ride.

I have been finishing 200 k audaxes with only half an hour to spare lately but had over an hour to spare on this one.

Feeling suitably reassured after reading this.  :thumbsup:

Coincidentally, did I bump into you banjo, on the mendip transmitter last year and have a chat to you about Garmin routing?? I may have been the bloke who wolfed down the bacon roll as you had the fry up in the cafe in cheddar.

Unless you are super fit I would take good lights. The lanes coming back from the Severn bridge to Gloucester got very dark last night my 2 cree torches were barely good enough.

Good luck to everyone riding it in July, you are in for a treat.

« Reply #45 on: 06 June, 2015, 09:02:49 am »
Hi pikey .yes I was the full english eater in the cheddar gorge cafe.you will do the RD no problem.
Was that the ride where a jogger overtook us going up a hill and I commented that wouldnt happen on the tdf?

« Reply #46 on: 07 June, 2015, 09:34:44 pm »
Hi pikey .yes I was the full english eater in the cheddar gorge cafe.you will do the RD no problem.
Was that the ride where a jogger overtook us going up a hill and I commented that wouldnt happen on the tdf?

Yes I think it was that ride. Funny enough I did that route again last weekend, neglecting to remember what a beast blagdon hill was.

Glad you found the perm version of the RD good, it's boosted my confidence a bit, bricking it a little less now.

I've told my wife I've entered it now, so there is no escape  :o

« Reply #47 on: 11 June, 2015, 05:19:39 pm »
After doing the perm Rough diamond because I was working the 11 th Now Im not  .

A 300 is a big event for me so I am going to enjoy a relaxed day out on the Teddy Bear Picnic instead  :thumbsup:.

« Reply #48 on: 18 June, 2015, 11:51:29 pm »
Ride info  for both the 300 and 100 going out to riders during the coming week or so.

For those that want further event details on the 300 look here http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-6/

And for the 100, look here http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-334/
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #49 on: 23 June, 2015, 11:08:11 am »
Hello,

I'm currently about 50/50 for this, hoping I can recover from some health issues in time, but interested in these A38 comments as everyone knows I love a good A road. Is it a follow straight up the A38 from Slimbridge to Gloucester, get on the Bristol Road and back up the A38 all the way?

I think there are some new sections in this ride for me, so looking forward to it :)