Author Topic: Raglan castle, 200km ride from Bath  (Read 1832 times)

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
Raglan castle, 200km ride from Bath
« on: 25 June, 2015, 03:59:02 pm »

This ride sounded good (and local), so I've entered it. With a bit of luck (and bike fixing), we'll do it on the tandem.

So has anyone done it before? Know anything about the route or eating options on the way?

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
Re: Raglan castle, 200km ride from Bath
« Reply #1 on: 25 June, 2015, 04:12:27 pm »
Only just entered myself. I think it's the first time it's run and it's the same guy/team who do the excellent Mendip Transmitter.  Don't know much about the route but I see the first control is at Tortworth and there's an excellent Farm shop/cafe there which is used on the Jack and Grace memorial. There is also a cafe at Raglan Castle which I'm led to believe is very good but again not sure if this is the control.  Can't picture a cafe at Olveston (the 3rd control) but there's definitely a shop.

I'm sure it will be a good ride, the roads around all those controls are good and there's a fair bit of climbing as well :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 25 June, 2015, 04:51:24 pm »
I'm in, but this will be my first time on the Raglan Castle 200km.

As above, the cafe at Tortworth is a great stop. Plenty of room for bicycles, seating inside and out, and the staff are able to cope with large numbers descending on them.

« Reply #3 on: 25 June, 2015, 05:20:30 pm »
Local-ish for me too, so I have entered  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

JamesBradbury

• James Thinks
« Reply #4 on: 26 June, 2015, 10:58:42 am »
I'm sure it will be a good ride, the roads around all those controls are good and there's a fair bit of climbing as well :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info, all. As long as there's some descending too, we'll be happy on the tandem.   ;D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 26 June, 2015, 11:05:07 am »
I suppose it's about time I did another audax – I seem to have given them up since joining AUK.  :-\ And this one is local and looks good... I'll check what I'm doing on 18th July.

There is a bakery in Olveston, opposite Gary's bike shop, which I think also has a cafe, but I wouldn't swear to it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6 on: 26 June, 2015, 12:36:57 pm »
Is Garys shop still going? It looked shut last time I went past.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7 on: 26 June, 2015, 12:39:51 pm »
Haven't been past for a few months, but it was open in the spring.

« Reply #8 on: 26 June, 2015, 07:35:04 pm »
Gary has closed up shop and moved to Fred Bakers in Stokes Croft

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #9 on: 29 June, 2015, 06:42:53 pm »
I've entered. Oh my!

Gary has closed up shop and moved to Fred Bakers in Stokes Croft
When did he do that? I keep thinking FB itself looks on the point of closure...

« Reply #10 on: 01 July, 2015, 07:10:37 pm »
According to the note on the door of the now closed bike barn 1 June. I agree with your assessment of Fred Bakers it looks on its last legs. I miss my chats with Gary when I'm passing through Olveston

« Reply #11 on: 18 July, 2015, 11:37:52 pm »
An interesting and varied course with some spectacular scenery. I struggled a bit from Chepstow out almost to Monmouth with the undulating roads, although there were no killer hills. I picked up afterwards on the run in to Raglan Castle and was doing okay until that beast of a hill after leaving Usk. We'd already climbed a fair bit when the 14% kicked in. When the two bridges across the River Severn came into view, there was then an exhilarating descent back to Chepstow and the mini suffer-fest was soon forgotten. My thanks to all concerned. 

« Reply #12 on: 19 July, 2015, 08:06:33 am »
Thanks to Rob and Bath CC, this was a superb ride with some truly spectacular views.  A very varied and well thought out course.  My favourite bits were the descent into Monmouth, and the section between Raglan and the bridge which was absolutely beautiful.  Riding to and from home added the two tunnels to the Severn Bridge to make it even more varied!
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

« Reply #13 on: 19 July, 2015, 08:36:33 am »
as you may know i was able to ride yesterday with the other entrants, so thank you for the possitive comments,boohoo to the negative ones i received. sorry about the typing error on the Brevet card should have been doyton not Dowton.
Remember don't eat yellow snow

« Reply #14 on: 19 July, 2015, 10:05:34 am »
Thank you for organising it Lawnmowerman, it was a really enjoyable ride and a lovely route. I don't who the local rider was who said that there "was nothing significant" once you get to Olveston - it was one of the hardest parts of the ride (but maybe that was because I was expecting gradients similar to the Bristol-Bath cycle path)!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #15 on: 19 July, 2015, 11:16:37 am »
If you were the couple from Oxfordshire, that was me. Sorry! My excuse is that by that time my brain was tired. I had forgotten about Fernhill, too. In fact I hadn't really paid much attention to that part of the route, thinking "Local roads, I'll know where to go." As a result, I got thoroughly lost between Doynton and Bitton – retracing three times and getting lost in a different direction each time.  :facepalm:

Anyway, for me the hardest section by far was from the bridge to Raglan. It wasn't a windy day but the headwind that there was really sapped my strength. That and the constant up-down roads. But after Clytha it was new roads to me, rather beautiful ones, and the descent into Usk recharged my batteries. I'd only been up the big hill after Usk once before – on that occasion I had to walk half of it, so wasn't optimistic with already tired legs, but, making steam train noises, and indeed lots of steam, I did it. Which just goes to show that it's easier to get up a hill when you know what's up there. Perhaps.

And the descent through Wentwood. Were we meant to go through Wentwood? I don't think so, because I know I missed a turn to Shirenewton somewhere. Worth it for that amazing downhill though! I ended up on a main road and asked a fortuitously timed Sainsbury's van driver for directions. "Just go straight along here, don't turn anywhere. This is the A48 Chepstow Road," he told me, warning "It's five or six miles though." The A48 is a South Wales equivalent of the A38 north of Bristol – quiet (at least on a Saturday afternoon), wide, straight and mostly flat. It didn't feel like even five miles to the roundabout at the end of the cycle track that leads to the bridge. And after that it was just a matter of plodding on and getting lost again!

It was great, I must start doing this audax lark again.  :thumbsup:

JamesBradbury

• James Thinks
« Reply #16 on: 20 July, 2015, 01:30:42 pm »
Thanks to Rob for organising this and Martin for the routesheet. Well done to all who completed it, especially those who went to and from home too, especially Scampi who no doubt had an epic day. Feel a bit guilty not doing that ourselves as it's only an extra 25km each way.

Erica and I had a good day on the tandem and were happily riding and chatting with other people for much of it. Most of the time we get left behind on the climbs, or roar ahead on the descents never really sticking in a group, so it was nice to have some company.

I had a bit of a achy legs episode around Thornbury on the way out (I blame the headwind), but Erica kept going steadily all day, despite not having done more than 50k since March.

The climb out of Usk was a bit of a challenge, wasn't it? We kept rounding a corner and groaning in unison as it carried on up, and up and up. We'd occasionally take turns to get out of the saddle, which was good for a change, but hard work on my arms to keep the bike straight. Thankfully it was a quiet road and we appreciated the shade! I'm not sure it was the advertised 16% though, perhaps more like 12%? Some lovely ups and downs on quiet lanes on the way back into Bath, but Kelston hill was a bit of a surprise.

« Reply #17 on: 20 July, 2015, 04:32:03 pm »
If you were the couple from Oxfordshire, that was me. Sorry! My excuse is that by that time my brain was tired. I had forgotten about Fernhill, too. In fact I hadn't really paid much attention to that part of the route, thinking "Local roads, I'll know where to go." As a result, I got thoroughly lost between Doynton and Bitton – retracing three times and getting lost in a different direction each time.  :facepalm:

We were the ones from Oxfordshire and your description of the route from the last control at Olveston was spot on! Mostly ok but with a bit of a hill around Puckle-something or other. After the beast of a climb out of the Usk valley that last climb was ok.
Thanks to Rob for a good day out and terrific scenery especially the section back from Raglan.

« Reply #18 on: 20 July, 2015, 07:41:46 pm »
Yes a great day out and another new classic event for the calender  :thumbsup:  Loved the route and big thanks to Rob, Martin, and all the Bath CC for organising!

A very social ride and nice hanging out in the sun at the controls with all the riders. Great to see James and Erica flying round on the Tandem too!

A few photos from the ride...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.964072043634427.1073741852.636173906424244&type=3

(don't need to be on facebook to view if you don't do that sort of thing)

« Reply #19 on: 20 July, 2015, 10:24:27 pm »
I should have reminded the riders before the event that between the information control at clytha and Chepstow is a free route bit late now I know! If you had taken the other road from usk to Chepstow you would have missed the views of the Bristol Channel and the  Severn bridges I feel the climb is worth enduring for this.
Remember don't eat yellow snow