Author Topic: JR's Training Log  (Read 9626 times)

rob

Re: JR's Training Log
« Reply #50 on: 29 December, 2015, 09:31:05 pm »
A lot of testers swear by 2*20 mins at FTP or a little over.   Also try hour of power, trying to maintain FTP for the whole hour.

This Winter my sessions are less intense but longer duration.   I can feel them afterwards, but recover quickly.   Try not to make sessions so hard that you compromise the next one.

« Reply #51 on: 30 December, 2015, 12:59:39 pm »
THE most important part of any cycle power testing is the warm-up phase.
“Warm up”, a bit of a misnomer. Should be ‘Pulmonary and Vascular dilatory’ up.

Difficult to measure. Comes with experience, or hiring a qualified PTI.

For a start off, ride at 65% HRMax for an hour. If your FTP from the 20 minute test significantly increases, cut the “Warm up” by five minutes each test until you reach a point where the test feels more rigorous for no reason. When this happens, add five minutes to the “Warm up”, because the test felt more rigorous 'cus you weren't 'warmed up' dilated enough.

« Reply #52 on: 31 December, 2015, 12:06:31 pm »
Week 1 Session 2

Following last session, I decided to incorporate a few suggestions;
Increased warm up to 30 mins @ 80W. (Ningers)
Did 2 x 16 mins @ ftp (144 W) with 4 mins recovery in between (80 W). (Rob)
Total duration was 85 mins all remainder done at recovery.
During 2 x 16 mins HR was 163, 145, 167 bpm. (the last reading happened in the last few minutes of the session, prior it was 163)
Noticed difference in breathing this time, it was less heavier than last time, more comfortable. No burning sensations as usual and after shower, legs feel as though not much has happened, but I will bear in mind what SimonP said earlier.
Still a Zone 5 workout.

« Reply #53 on: 03 January, 2016, 12:13:52 pm »
wk1 bike ride 55Km

This is the first ride this year, I'll use this as my test ride for comparisons going forward.
Avge hr 155, Max 166.
Avge speed 20km/hr

https://www.strava.com/activities/461964708/overview

« Reply #54 on: 05 January, 2016, 09:01:14 pm »
WK 2 session 1
After the prescribed warm up, did 20 mins @ avge 162 watts (hr peaked at 168 BPM).
Followed by 10 mins @ recovery 80 watts and further 10 minutes @ 162 watts (hr 168 Max) and cool down.

Observations are that my unequal leg strength is having more of an effect. When my cadence gets above 95 rpm, power gets erratic and is difficult to maintain reasonable stable cadence. Had to raise resistance and lower cadence to 92 rpm to maintain steady power.
Legs feel like they have done a reasonable workout, still no burn. Breathing heavy ish. I think my cardiovascular system is better developed than my leg strength/ power looking at my end hr.

May try a Max effort intervals session on Thursday for variety.

« Reply #55 on: 06 January, 2016, 07:30:22 am »
You are now learning that technique is everything.

Don’t thrash at the strings and hope the sound is pleasant. Learn some chords and how to strum slowly and gently.
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #56 on: 06 January, 2016, 08:14:15 am »

Don’t thrash at the strings and hope the sound is pleasant. Learn some chords and how to strum slowly and gently.

Yes I'm certainly learning a thing or two of myself and technique, maybe I'll be able to join an orchestra soon  :)

« Reply #57 on: 06 January, 2016, 12:30:08 pm »

Yes I'm certainly learning a thing or two of myself and technique, maybe I'll be able to join an orchestra soon  :)

For joining an orchestra, look at British Cycling's calendar of closed circuit races. This Saturday at Lee Valley Cycle Circuit.
You will need to be a BC member. 4th Cat Mens at 13:20. 45 minutes + 5 laps.
In the day, they were called 'Criterium' races. Good fun. Lots of drafting and elbows.  :thumbsup:

A bit like a motor cycle circuit race but human powered.

« Reply #58 on: 07 January, 2016, 07:30:58 pm »
I think I'm a bit old for that malarky.

« Reply #59 on: 07 January, 2016, 07:42:41 pm »
wk2 session 2
Thought I'd try a Max effort session for a change.

3 x 1 min with 1 min rest at maximum effort after warm up.

1st was 266 watts @158 BPM
2nd was 266 watts @164 BPM
3rd was 271 watts for first half, dropping to 266 watts @174 bpm.Still no burn in muscles. Cardiovascular and left leg could have carried on.

My weaker right leg started to give way @ half way on the last effort, so cadence dropped back to 102 rpm from 104 rpm no matter how hard I tried.
I am more convinced my right leg is limiting my performance, more work needed.

« Reply #60 on: 10 January, 2016, 11:09:52 am »
wk2 session 3

20 min @ ftp (162 watts) hr 163 ending in 165 zone 5. Hr slightly less than previous.

Legs a nice salmon could, especially right leg as it had to do it's fair share of the work.

Other commitments prevented a bike ride today.

« Reply #61 on: 11 January, 2016, 07:09:04 am »
FTP is your 20 minute average Wattage x 0.95.
A 20 minute session should be FTP / 0.95. At least.

« Reply #62 on: 11 January, 2016, 10:27:45 am »
Started out with 167 watts selected on the gym bike (taking my ftp to be around 158 watts), but for some reason it was "dancing around" for want of a better term between 171 and 157 watts despite me holding a reasonably constant cadence, so I've simply called it 162 watts average in order for my "comparison". This was probably due to my un balanced legs but I will use a different bike in future just to be sure it's not that.