Author Topic: The London Ditchling Devil, Sunday 5th June 2016  (Read 28770 times)

Re: The London Ditchling Devil, Sunday 9th June 2013
« Reply #25 on: 02 June, 2013, 07:48:24 am »
I found the Dyke easier than the Beacon but after about 160km you go up Combe Lane which seems to go on forever. The first time I climbed it was about 4km into a ride and I got up it without much trouble, the second time I climbed it was about 160km into the Ditchling Devil (ridden as a perm) and it defeated me.

I later found I had a cracked rim so my back wheel was out of true (watch the potholes in the Surrey Hills) but even without that I don't know that I'd have made it all the way up that one.

I rode the perm last weekend.  I'm not a hill person, so did a fair amount of walking.  On Combe Ln, someone has graffiti'd on the road surface near the worst point "steep here" and as you round a corner that crests the hill:
"All

Down

From

Here"

- which was true - as the perm goes back to Richmond high street, it did feel down hill all the way home.  You guys have a couple more lumps to get to Roehampton Gate.

Have a good ride, and say hi at Ardingly.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #26 on: 02 June, 2013, 09:05:16 am »
^

I had forgotten that (I rode the perm on Monday) - made me chuckle (as much as you can chuckle as you hurl the bike at the hairpin there).
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Hillbilly

« Reply #27 on: 02 June, 2013, 09:28:36 am »
Was one of the many sportive organisers wot done that, trying to motivate their paying customers on a so-called "hard" ride.  Pussies  ;)

Maybe I'll do it on a future calendar ride.  But more audax "If your Carradice isn't swinging, you're not trying hard enough" or "Tea ahead" or "The route sheet is the road to enlightenment".

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #28 on: 02 June, 2013, 09:41:08 am »
That hairpin does require a certain amount of focus on fixed, tho' why geared riders have trouble at all I cannot imagine, sniff.

I've had a couple of PMs about late entries; we're still taking online entries through the AUK website. Clicky

Hillbilly

« Reply #29 on: 02 June, 2013, 09:50:56 am »
That hairpin does require a certain amount of focus on fixed, tho' why geared riders have trouble at all I cannot imagine, sniff.

<interlopes>
Needs more focus on the way down, which you are kind enough not to subject LDD riders to...

The trick with going upwards is to use the middle line of the road (but being aware of oncoming traffic that might try and cut the bend).  It is the inside of the bend that is 17%.  And also keeping a little bit back for the short stretch to the summit.

Likewise the Ditchling Beacon isn't that tough a climb, if you don't go balls out at the bottom.  Start comfortable (it is toughest at the bottom) and then crank it up as you get closer to the top.

« Reply #30 on: 02 June, 2013, 09:04:46 pm »
Is the cafe staying open later at the end, or is the arrivee moving to the pub at a certain time like last year?

TIA
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

Manotea

« Reply #31 on: 02 June, 2013, 10:09:59 pm »
I've asked for the Cafe to stay open till 8am (12 hours) after which I was going to relocate into the Gazebo, however the pub option is looking attractive. The Park p.h. which we used last year has closed so next choice is the Rose of York on the Petersham Road approaching Richmond. TBC.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #32 on: 02 June, 2013, 10:51:02 pm »
You could also consider the Roebuck, on Richmond Hill a little way past the Richmond Gate of the park. It would mean late arrivals didn't get out of climbing either Star and Garter Hill or Nightingale Lane. You also get nice views from the terrace, especially if it's a good sunset.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Martin

« Reply #33 on: 03 June, 2013, 01:06:12 pm »
Was one of the many sportive organisers wot done that, trying to motivate their paying customers on a so-called "hard" ride.  Pussies  ;)

SW Road Club apparently (also responsible for the MF arrows on the road)

I'd go for "it's a hill, gear down and get over it"

I route checked the Ardingly (de facto from Copthorne) to Devils Dyke section whilst doing a proper 200 yesterday ;) only one route sheet amendment on that section, the sp Poynings has broken off. If you miss it best to continue down the hill and go L at the next RAB

The London Ditchling Devil, Sunday 9th June 2013
« Reply #34 on: 04 June, 2013, 07:39:12 am »
Looking forward to this one.  Martin's Full English sandwich at Ardingley was very possibly the best cafe stop all year.  Excellent organisation all the way round.

« Reply #35 on: 04 June, 2013, 12:14:41 pm »
I've just realised I don't have any Rapha clothing. Will I still be allowed to take part?  ;)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #36 on: 04 June, 2013, 12:16:31 pm »
I've just realised I don't have any Rapha clothing. Will I still be allowed to take part?  ;)

It's only Tuesday.

Plenty of time to rob a bank or arrange a large loan so that you can get yourself kitted out correctly!   ;)
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #37 on: 04 June, 2013, 04:50:04 pm »
I go close to the London Rapha shop most days:  paypal me £50 £60 and I'll pick up one of these, and you can pick it up in Ardingly, and wipe your brow with it.

http://www.rapha.cc/polka-dot-silk-scarf

If you've got a £50 neckerchief, people are going to assume the rest of your kit is similarly priced.

Manotea

« Reply #38 on: 04 June, 2013, 06:42:28 pm »
Willesden has a very nice range of apparel in pink. I could bring a selection along to Wimbers.

I should point out though that any purchase would involve signing two pieces of paper, the first promising the payment of an arm and a leg, the second promising your very soul...

« Reply #39 on: 08 June, 2013, 07:56:04 pm »
Bike half fettled. GPS route uploaded. GPS resetting whenever I try and navigate against it (oh well, I can just look at the track on the map).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #40 on: 08 June, 2013, 08:09:25 pm »
Bike half fettled. GPS route uploaded. GPS resetting whenever I try and navigate against it (oh well, I can just look at the track on the map).
Sounds suspiciously Garmin like.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #41 on: 08 June, 2013, 08:13:45 pm »
HK and I will be there.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #42 on: 08 June, 2013, 08:25:57 pm »
Sounds suspiciously Garmin like.

Indeed. It's an Edge 705 that I haven't updated (the firmware of) for years. It probably won't survive a 200 so I'm bringing an external battery pack with me.

Seems to get past the navigate -> crash problem now. I'll have a copy of the routesheet anyway.

And, what could possibly go wrong. The last time I rode this bike was on the Kernow & South West 600. In 2011.

« Reply #43 on: 08 June, 2013, 08:53:59 pm »
Looking forward to seeing you all at Chiddingfold.
Team of "first timers" on control duty.

« Reply #44 on: 08 June, 2013, 11:10:10 pm »
Looking forward to seeing you all at Chiddingfold.
Team of "first timers" on control duty.
See you there, I have the stamp, a start list and the control signs.

Just need to pack a couple of pens.

As I am riding there I will only have my commuting toolkit.

« Reply #45 on: 09 June, 2013, 05:55:57 am »
Good luck riders, I'll see you at Ardingly.  My first time at a control, too.

(not many tools with me, either, but will drop a couple of pens in my Carradice in case needed)

« Reply #46 on: 09 June, 2013, 07:27:55 am »
Morning all.

« Reply #47 on: 09 June, 2013, 05:56:44 pm »
Hope all the riders had a good day.   I was providing a japanese style tea and coffee service at Ardingly.  OK, it was really just tea and coffee without a table, but allow me my creativity.  Riders were very patient as they waited repeatedly for the kettle to boil.

I believe all the riders (170 - DNSs?) made it as far as this point, though there was rumours of a missing woman.  A couple were planning to DNF as the weather was not fantastic, but I think most people (including the rider in jeans!!) will get to the end.

Martin and Ann provided and excellent hot breakfast and many sweet snacks to fuel the riders.  The weather wasn't as nice as yesterday, but the rain held off and there will presumably be less sunburn than there would be otherwise.

aregister

• On entre OK, on sort KO
« Reply #48 on: 09 June, 2013, 08:36:13 pm »
Love this ride!
Thanks very much to Manotea and all his helpers for their hard work at Ardingly (where Covergirl made me a delicious omelette-type thing), House 51 on Right and Chiddingfold.

« Reply #49 on: 09 June, 2013, 08:43:26 pm »
Another great running of this very enjoyable route. Thanks to all the volunteers, nice to have a chat with pPpPete and Mrs pPpPete at Chiddingfold.

Managed to mix it a bit with some of the faster boys and girls*, so finished in a fairly quick time (for me)

*by mixing it I mean overtaking them by bumping controls while they ate bacon rolls and drank tea, and then watched them go flying passed while I was churning along at high speed (for me!).