Author Topic: Llanfair.....400  (Read 29216 times)

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
Re: Llanfair.....400
« Reply #25 on: 15 May, 2014, 03:42:28 pm »
Yep, last year I did the standard rout, which includes the hills, and I'm no climber!!

(I'm sure I typed 'route', but rout is funnier, and strangely prophetic!)
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #26 on: 15 May, 2014, 07:44:41 pm »
I went to Sheffield train station to earlier today to buy my ticket to Poynton for next Saturday but there were no cycle reservations available on any trains to Stockport until 11am. Does anybody know if there happens to be a big cycling event on in Manchester the same day as Llanfair?

If there are a lot more cyclists around than usual, getting the bike on a train could be tricky. I might need a plan b.

« Reply #27 on: 15 May, 2014, 07:50:18 pm »
I went to Sheffield train station to earlier today to buy my ticket to Poynton for next Saturday but there were no cycle reservations available on any trains to Stockport until 11am. Does anybody know if there happens to be a big cycling event on in Manchester the same day as Llanfair?

If there are a lot more cyclists around than usual, getting the bike on a train could be tricky. I might need a plan b.

Is it worth checking on redspottedhanky, has worked for me once or twice when ticket offices have not been helpful?

« Reply #28 on: 15 May, 2014, 09:05:36 pm »

Is it worth checking on redspottedhanky, has worked for me once or twice when ticket offices have not been helpful?

Thanks for the tip. There are a few more reservations available but nothing useful. I'll think I'm going to risk the train as planned. It's only one stop, so if I get on just before the doors close they can't throw me off :)

mikewigley

« Reply #29 on: 15 May, 2014, 09:07:22 pm »

I book my train tickets online at http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/ where there is an option to include a bike (just underneath where you book your preferred seat).  The 7:08 from Sheffield gets you to Stockport for 7:53 to allow 30mins to get to Poynton

Mike

« Reply #30 on: 15 May, 2014, 09:29:55 pm »

I might be able to give you a lift. Check your inbox!

« Reply #31 on: 15 May, 2014, 10:44:41 pm »
Well I've just entered this one. Given the civilised start time I'm thinking that a travel lodge stay overnight beforehand wont be necessary which is a bonus. I've not done this ride before so I'm looking forward to it.

mikewigley

« Reply #32 on: 15 May, 2014, 11:13:24 pm »
I've not done this ride before so I'm looking forward to it.

Those that have done before are also looking forward to it I hope.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #33 on: 15 May, 2014, 11:22:46 pm »

I've not done this ride before so I'm looking forward to it.

Those that have done before are also looking forward to it I hope.

+ 1    :)
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #34 on: 16 May, 2014, 11:23:52 am »

I take the train over from Sheffield regularly and I never reserve and never had an issue. I'm not sure that the Northern services actually do reservations though. On the odd occaision I've been there when more than two bikes were on and the conductor hasn't complained about another bike.

« Reply #35 on: 16 May, 2014, 01:08:56 pm »

I take the train over from Sheffield regularly and I never reserve and never had an issue. I'm not sure that the Northern services actually do reservations though. On the odd occaision I've been there when more than two bikes were on and the conductor hasn't complained about another bike.

I travel to Manchester quite a lot by train, too. I've never had any problems on the creaky Northern (stop at every village) service but on occasion the train that goes directly to Stockport (which does do reservations) has had four or five bikes on it. Although I've never not got on, I didn't want 06:11 on the morning of a ride I've been looking forward to being the first time. It's hopefully sorted now, though.

« Reply #36 on: 16 May, 2014, 02:05:44 pm »
Yes the Hope Valley service is great for bikes, but takes a long time. I've only got the fast train a couple of times and its also fine.

mikewigley

« Reply #37 on: 20 May, 2014, 08:56:57 am »
Entries for this event are going to close very shortly.  I've got 80 brevet cards and they've nearly all gone, so if you fancy a ride get in touch quick.  (If you are not sure if you are on my list, I've just sent an email to all my entries, so if you didn't get that I've not got you down).

There is a link to the weather forecast at www.tinyurl.com/PeakAudaxLlanfair400 so click and judge for yourself

Mike

« Reply #38 on: 20 May, 2014, 09:55:16 pm »
Really looking forward to this one.

Just got to control myself and not join the time trial group pushing at the 30kph envelope.

Made that mistake on the 300 last month and was really suffering on the last 100k

« Reply #39 on: 20 May, 2014, 10:01:45 pm »
Gears started playing up today, and on trying to adjust them realised that chain is well worn - how can that happen within only 1000 miles?
Anyhow - hope to find a bike shop that replaces it for me before Friday lunchtime (yes, I know I should be able to do this myself, but...), otherwise I'll be the swearing shorty on a Trek on Saturday :demon:

« Reply #40 on: 21 May, 2014, 11:06:53 pm »
Ok, tried to download the gpx to my etrex20 tonight. The first section saved in the track manager bit as normal but the rest of the route would only save in the route planner section. Does this mean there are too many waypoints? how would i go about sorting it? Or more usefully, has anyone got a version that will work for me? ;D
serendipity is my satnav

« Reply #41 on: 22 May, 2014, 06:09:22 am »
Ok, tried to download the gpx to my etrex20 tonight. The first section saved in the track manager bit as normal but the rest of the route would only save in the route planner section. Does this mean there are too many waypoints? how would i go about sorting it? Or more usefully, has anyone got a version that will work for me? ;D

If you have an etrex20, I think this file (right click and "save as" should work for you (in Basecamp). It's a combined file containing both tracks and routes. I can split them up into separate files if that is a struggle.

« Reply #42 on: 22 May, 2014, 08:49:18 pm »
Thank you TC, that seems to have done the job. It took about 2 minutes rather than the hour and a half I wasted lat night ::-)
I'll say thanks in person on the ride, say hi, I'll be on my old red ribble.

lookin' forward to it now!
serendipity is my satnav

« Reply #43 on: 22 May, 2014, 09:45:59 pm »
This is my first 400 and it will be the longest ride I have attempted. I wanted to do a 300 between the 200 I did from Poynton a few weeks ago now, but as often is the case, Life got in the way. I Have enjoyed reading the post about this event and it sounds like a great route. I just have to get into the mindset that I am going to be riding all day and I mean all day and pace it that way.  See you all at the start. I'll be the one with the new hand-built wheels on red Hope hubs and archetype rims and a proud grin on my face. Lets see how long that lasts.

« Reply #44 on: 22 May, 2014, 10:39:08 pm »
lookin' forward to it now!

You haven't seen the weather forecast then?  :)

« Reply #45 on: 22 May, 2014, 10:45:00 pm »
It could be worse - it could be raining ALL day  :P

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #46 on: 23 May, 2014, 12:45:23 am »
This is my first 400 and it will be the longest ride I have attempted. I wanted to do a 300 between the 200 I did from Poynton a few weeks ago now, but as often is the case, Life got in the way. I Have enjoyed reading the post about this event and it sounds like a great route. I just have to get into the mindset that I am going to be riding all day and I mean all day and pace it that way.  See you all at the start. I'll be the one with the new hand-built wheels on red Hope hubs and archetype rims and a proud grin on my face. Lets see how long that lasts.
Proud grin and Archetype rims go a long way.
For night section chatter ask Gaddi about her Bavarian Monkey. (I overheard a conversation)  ;D
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #47 on: 23 May, 2014, 08:16:33 am »
The monkey is out now it seems  ;D

« Reply #48 on: 23 May, 2014, 09:49:06 am »

On the bright side, there is a dry spell forecast for an hour or so around midnight, and the wind might swing round from NE to NW during the ride (but that would be against all the laws of cycling...)

mikewigley

« Reply #49 on: 23 May, 2014, 10:04:16 am »

I hope not.  I hate driving in the rain and I've got to make my way to the Shotton/Connahs Quay and the Holyhead controls