Linked Events

• Yr Elenydd 300 - Sat 11th April: 11 April, 2015

Author Topic: Yr Elenydd 300 - Sat 11th April  (Read 10080 times)

Re: Yr Elenydd 300 - Sat 11th April
« Reply #25 on: 06 April, 2015, 07:53:07 pm »

Now why does that no surprise me?

At least the local pub is back open again - I do remember finishing John's 400 starting at 06:00 and making it back in time for last orders  ;D
[/quote]

I would be quite pleased make it back for last orders from my 07:00 start time---managed last year but that was 06:00 start..
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #26 on: 08 April, 2015, 12:51:03 pm »
So looking forward to this one!  :)

Me too, although a little nervous about the climbing for some of it I think I should be OK.

Weather is looking OK as well, cooler and a bit windier again but OK.

« Reply #27 on: 08 April, 2015, 03:14:34 pm »

Me too, although a little nervous about the climbing for some of it I think I should be OK.

Weather is looking OK as well, cooler and a bit windier again but OK.

you`ll be fine  ;D

As for weather yes cooler but each day forecast is steadily improving for Saturday with more sunny stuff and less windy stuff  :thumbsup: So far locally, Radnor Valley, this week weather has been consistently better than forecast too---high pressure seems to be continuing to be dominant influence>>> lots sun, warm and swallows too  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #28 on: 09 April, 2015, 01:16:53 pm »
After our dismal 'performance' on The Dean we've been wavering about travelling over.
As things stand right now, Mr Smith might have to work, the tandem is covered in Wonderfull Wessex Smeg- apart from the rear wheel which is being rebuilt following the 3-spokes-breaking on said Wonderfull ride. Mr Smith has a cough, I'm not sleeping well and we're each about 5kg heavier and 1000km short of riding on last year.

What could possibly go wrong?

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #29 on: 09 April, 2015, 02:10:43 pm »
After our dismal 'performance' on The Dean we've been wavering about travelling over.
As things stand right now, Mr Smith might have to work, the tandem is covered in Wonderfull Wessex Smeg- apart from the rear wheel which is being rebuilt following the 3-spokes-breaking on said Wonderfull ride. Mr Smith has a cough, I'm not sleeping well and we're each about 5kg heavier and 1000km short of riding on last year.

What could possibly go wrong?

The downhill into Tregaron is super marvellous
The bowls club is the most splendid control
The downhill from the Roman fort to Rhydader is fast
There should be a tailwind home

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #30 on: 09 April, 2015, 02:49:07 pm »
+1 to all that. And the weather's going to be fab. What better way to lift your soul than riding those Welsh mountain roads.

It'll be bostin'

simonp

« Reply #31 on: 09 April, 2015, 03:23:12 pm »
I’ve got a good case of DOMS going on - should be ok by Saturday, I hope. Might do a shoulders session at the gym tonight, to ensure that I can start the ride with at least something sore.

I’m going to try to ride all the way to Rhayader before I need to stop for food. This is the same distance as to Malmesbury on The Dean. So I should be able to manage it. If I can, it could be my fastest Elenith/Elenydd.

I’ve diagnosed the failed front light from The Dean (was actually a short in the rear cable due to rubbing against the tyre). I’ve also replaced the duff Edelux II i got from SJSC (rear light connector wasn’t usable due to sealant around its base). So this evening I should be fitting that. And an B&M Ixon IQ Premium should be waiting for me at work as a new back-up light, as my brand new Philips light let in water on the Arrow.

« Reply #32 on: 09 April, 2015, 03:48:15 pm »

You'll be O.K. with the climbing.
When I first rode this event, more than 20 years ago, I only walked the Devils Staircase climb.
Nowadays, I walk up five climbs  :-[
Still manage to finish JUST within the time limit though.
So remember.....If you're in front of me, then you're bound to finish within the time limits.

IIRC this will be my 21st time on this event.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

« Reply #33 on: 09 April, 2015, 07:10:38 pm »
+1 to all that. And the weather's going to be fab. What better way to lift your soul than riding those Welsh mountain roads.

It'll be bostin'

Went over The Warden Climb this pm---pure dust  ;D---so even though official route bypasses it due to potential mud issues it is in fully rideable condition and views from it are superb :thumbsup:

« Reply #34 on: 09 April, 2015, 07:49:47 pm »
........What could possibly go wrong?

Nothing, at least nothing you couldn't sort en route, probably.

Best wishes to Mr Smith, hope the cough gets better.

I'm right up for this one now. Rode the Tcr on the commute after some fettling last night and it's feeling great.

simonp

« Reply #35 on: 09 April, 2015, 09:59:18 pm »
Looks like I'll be starting this one with DOMS in my shoulders.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #36 on: 10 April, 2015, 12:03:38 pm »
Wanted: tandem pilot, 5'10-6'1.

For bike riding purposes 11/04. Tandem provided. No benefits offered. Must be immune to shrieks of fear on descents and deaf to complaining of tiredness/ hotfoot/ arse discomfort. Must be able to compensate for fat out-of-shape stoker. Cheerful conversation from stoker unlikely. Ability to understand that (sometimes) left is actually right, and vice versa, is a bonus. No meals provided. No Farting permitted.

In the first instance apply to C Smith Esq. for tandem release.

(Mr Smith will be stuck in the code mines all weekend.  :'()

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #37 on: 10 April, 2015, 12:10:37 pm »
Sorry, I fail on the no farting requirement, along with several others.

On the other hand, I will be on a tandem on Sunday, after riding a different 300 on Saturday.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #38 on: 10 April, 2015, 12:11:26 pm »
Sadly, I'm unable to join the queue of eager applicants.

Chris S

« Reply #39 on: 10 April, 2015, 01:37:20 pm »
The actual rule pertaining to the pilot is "No anal events permitted. Of any nature."

« Reply #40 on: 12 April, 2015, 01:31:19 am »
Stunning ride with incredible scenery, happy tohave walked a couple of the steep bits but it really doesn'twaste that much time and I got to look after scenery instead of looking after Road and think about how.much longevity goes on for.

Really impressed.with the way John and helpers organise this, incredible value for money. Really thanks times a million or so.

« Reply #41 on: 12 April, 2015, 01:32:43 am »
My auto text is going mental hopefully that makes sense:)

« Reply #42 on: 12 April, 2015, 08:28:23 am »
Having blown up Abergleswyn, Rabbit persuaded me to continue.  Sadly it was not to be.  Following two punctures, I continued to the Gamallt before realising it really was too much.  On my return, I hit a stone and suffered a side wall blow out.  A boot patch sorted that problem out.  To makes things doubly worse, my pump disintegrated into little bits.  Shortly afterwards, I saw JH lugging himself up towards the pass and he was complaining about exhaustion too!

This is the second time I have DNF'd on this event  :'(

Saying that, thanks to John and his team for all his hard work.   For the riders that successfully completed the route, it must have been a storming return home.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #43 on: 12 April, 2015, 08:53:22 am »
Awesome day out. Managed to ride up all the hills, glad I put a 34/28 on. Some stunning scenery, truly worthy of it's classic status. Headwind was horrendous however. Got back to Upton Magna just after 10pm absolutely wasted (06:00 start).

Not currently planning on riding this ever again now I have done it, but who knows, the memory quickly fades and leaves you with mainly good memories. Still can't believe it took 2 hrs to ride a 24km section, or that a 07:00 starter got to the staircase before me, awesome.
https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

www.milehousebarn.co.uk - Cycle Friendly B&B in Nantwich, Chehsire

« Reply #44 on: 12 April, 2015, 09:53:57 am »
What a great day out!! The rains at the 06:00 start was a bit of a downer, but we knew it would clear by mid morning, and it certainly did 40min before Shobdon. That headwind was fierce - damn hard climbing the staircase into that, even on a 34 x 30!
The ladies to the bowling club were fab!
Best part was getting the following wind and being blown across the Elan Valley at 63kph hardly pedalling at all!
Made the mistake of having the 'beef stew' at the penultimate Wheelwrights control - it just didn't agree with me - in fact, it was just plain awful  :sick: (no offence, really).
Happy to have made it back in daylight and have made the last train back to London  ;D
A huge thanks to John and all of the controllers for putting on such a fantastic event!

« Reply #45 on: 12 April, 2015, 10:23:08 am »
Really incredibly tough day on the bike for me yesterday. Under par, lacking quality sleep, lacking ballast to cope with the brute of a headwind out and struggling to make 20 kph on the flat after Shobdon (!!), very homesick the night before.

But, despite all this, made it round, and found some form once the climbing proper started. Grateful to have nailed the Tregaron mountain road with a ferocious headwind blasting down the climbs, and even more grateful to be blown back along the Rhayader mountain road with the sun on my back. Speeds increased by 50% and met friends at controls and as they passed me again on the road. Despite several dropped chain incidents was making good rhythm until a full scale bonk 5 km from the penultimate control. Delirium and sudden non working of legs meant a tough few kms but 10 mins later good food (lovely veggie stew and rhubarb crumble) and a mug of tea had me back on the road for the final skirt of the stunning Stiperstones and Long Mynd lit up beautifully by the evening sunlight. Good company from a guy (sorry didn't catch your name!) with the red n black jacket back to arrive over the last few flat miles. Got in at 8:50 pm which was earlier than I was expecting after the rough morning's work.

Tough days are what make us harder, right?

Philip I am dumbfounded that you made it up the Staircase only to turn round and climb back over, that's audacious enough in itself.  You didn't seem in a good place anyway and I figured you'd bail once you got that puncture so am surprised and slightly in awe that you fixed it and continued, albeit just over the toughest bit of the entire ride, and then back again!  :o

Thanks to John, Linda, Joolz and all the other amazing volunteers and controls who made the stops a pleasure and provided great food and drinks.  The UNDulates events are just amazingly organised, even down to having the control points marked on the GPX file  :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #46 on: 12 April, 2015, 11:56:11 am »

Tough days are what make us harder, right?

I'm about as hard as I'll ever be, so can I have some easier days please?  ;D
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #47 on: 12 April, 2015, 12:05:09 pm »
I'm a big fan of Bairdy's approach.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #48 on: 12 April, 2015, 12:32:52 pm »
An epic day out on the bike - the route is fantastic, along with the controls. It was a tough headwind going out but at least there was respite on the return. As a potential member of the lantern rouge club, the temps dropped a lot once night fell and it was a chilly return to the arrivee but finished with some time in hand, which is about as good it gets for me.

Thanks to all involved in organising.

simonp

« Reply #49 on: 12 April, 2015, 01:03:18 pm »
Hardest day on the bike for a while. I hadn’t checked the forecast the day before so was surprised to be told it’d be raining for the first few hours. It was light drizzle until just before start time at which point the rain picked up. I rapidly got dropped by nearly everyone as I was trying to pace myself. The rain didn’t last too long but it remained cold with a strong head wind. Keeping my HR down in such conditions meant a slow pace even before it got hilly. I had to stop to collect my water bottle on a descent as I hit some broken surface which caused it to shake free. That bottle got put into the seat tube cage as it was covered in roadside mud. When I got to Shobdon there wasn’t much of a queue to order food - but I had a policy of bouncing controls until 200km. So I just got my stamp and washed mud off the bottle.

The run to the village hall at Abergwesn continued with the theme of me riding slowly and people who’d stopped at Shobdon coming past me. By Abergwesn most of the field had controlled and quite a few of the 7am starts. I just had a coffee here but it still ended up as a 20 minute break.

The trees being down on the Devil’s Staircase meant for a great view as I walked up it. I had a false start as it was still too steep when I tried to resume. I was passed by the Elliptigo as it made its way up the climb. I had to also walk the next climb from the first hairpin, but the third one I managed to bully my way up. However any idea of my heart rate being in the moderate zone was out the window at this point. The wind was a nuisance over the top.

At Tregaron I just had a coffee and an orange juice. I think it would have cost me only a little more time to eat, tbh, but I stuck to my plan. The run to Cwmystwyth was the final time I had to get off and walk, at the usual place. Once in the valley we had the tail wind we’d been expecting all day, and the climb was relatively easy. I’d had to de-layer somewhat at the end of my stroll, as the tail wind and uphill riding were making me hot. It only got up to about 12 Deg C all day - a contrast to the previous few days.

Arriving in Rhayader, I was really ready for some food. Bangers and mash went down really well. The first bite of sausage was like manna from heaven. This set me up well for the ride to the Wheelwrights control at 260k or so, but I was now being dropped to being under-geared rather than to be slow. I was passing people on climbs now, whilst remaining in my HR zone. On some descents my HR was over 150 at the bottom - above my target limit.

I loved the food at Wheelwrights, the stew was just what was needed along with crumble and custard. The final stage isn’t too hard, though the descent into Shrewsbury is a bit of a pain on fixed. I rolled in to the finish at about 11.45pm, so slower than last year. Food at the finish was great - I loved both the cottage pie and the carrot and coriander soup. Despite the noise in the control, I slept pretty well, only getting up once at around 4am for a trip to the loo, and waking up at 7am. I got breakfast in Telford on the way home, stopped again for coffee on the M5 and once more because my eyes were very tired.

Time for a bath…