Author Topic: Plains 310 2015  (Read 2945 times)

Plains 310 2015
« on: 07 April, 2015, 01:47:28 pm »
Just under two weeks away and I'm getting excited about this one.

Why, I hear you call! Here's why:
  • First 300km since Vatternrundan last summer.
  • First more than 200km since Spurn Head 400 last summer.
  • First proper test of my new Luxos dynamo light / charging set up.
  • Get chauffeured out and back by best mate, with promise of homemade lasagne at the end.
  • After the hilly trauma of Black Magic this weekend I'm looking forward to a long flat(ish) leg stretch.
  • First McD's since Spurn Head (ok, not really THAT excited about this part...)
  • Seeing sunrise on the bicycle!

Who else is in? What are you looking forward to about this one?

Re: Plains 310 2015
« Reply #1 on: 07 April, 2015, 05:34:11 pm »
After the hilly trauma of Black Magic this weekend I'm looking forward to a long flat(ish) leg stretch.

Just save a little something for the "Col de Birtles".  You wouldn't notice it on a shorter ride, but there's a bit of a climb after Henbury Mere to the top of Birtles Lane that can seem like a mountain with 290km in your legs.  I'm looking forward to it, but with fingers crossed for a kind weather forecast, as it is the only 300 PBP qualifier I can fit in.  See you there.

« Reply #2 on: 07 April, 2015, 09:32:36 pm »
I'm in also.

I've done a little night riding but only shorter runs of less than 4 hours. Oh, and the commute which is usually dark but on generally lit roads... I quite enjoy the stillness and dodging badgers...

I've just bought a fenix bc30? which I'm keen to try out in anger.

No lasagne for me, maybe a flask of chicken soup in the car

Its only my second 300 but comes after 3 weekends of 200km (coming weekend resting) so I'm not as worried about the distance as I was when I entered.

I miss maccy d, not having indulged since my student days. Do they still do double cheeseburgers?

« Reply #3 on: 07 April, 2015, 09:39:57 pm »
I'm in!

After completely over cooking it last time, setting off far too hard and feeling like death for the final 100km I'm back for more!

This will be my opener for a fixed SR series, could be a very bad idea!

« Reply #4 on: 07 April, 2015, 09:42:39 pm »
I'm looking forward to it too, I haven't had an overnight ride in a while. And I haven't been to a McD's since I was in India.

i'm especially looking forward to visiting Dina's Dinky Diner, though!

Anyone know anywhere decent to eat in Poynton beforehand? I've got a train to Mancs Airport, and I'll just ride over from there, but I'll want something to eat, preferably close to the start. I'm not picky, a chippy would do, as long as there's somewhere to sit down.

paul851

« Reply #5 on: 07 April, 2015, 09:50:40 pm »
I'm doing this one again but my wife needs the car so may ECE it rather than get the train across to Manchester , that should get the legs nice and warm .

Paul.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #6 on: 07 April, 2015, 09:55:24 pm »
Anyone know anywhere decent to eat in Poynton beforehand? I've got a train to Mancs Airport, and I'll just ride over from there, but I'll want something to eat, preferably close to the start. I'm not picky, a chippy would do, as long as there's somewhere to sit down.

https://goo.gl/maps/2dMxv

Disclaimer - it's nearly 25 years since I've eaten at the Pig, but it was THE place to get chips when I was young, straight out from the Farmers (IDs never needed!).  Depending on what time you're eating there, I am sure the yoof of Poynton are still fighting out front, and engaged in under-age sex round the back. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #7 on: 07 April, 2015, 09:59:15 pm »
Sounds perfect ;D

« Reply #8 on: 07 April, 2015, 10:22:53 pm »

I am sure the yoof of Poynton are still fighting out front, and engaged in under-age sex round the back.

I'm sure Dinky's will have its own charming selection of characters too...

« Reply #9 on: 09 April, 2015, 07:39:54 am »
I'm in. Like a few entrant's I should imagin ,I need a 300 in my quest to qualify for Paris Breast Paris for the first time. The last time I did a night ride was last year from poynton on the 400 to Holyhead. I remember feeling extremely tired at macydees in Abergelli. Setting off back into the night feeling very cold as well as tired and the dawn rising being such a psychological boost. Not being alone and cycling with others also helped.
What's Dinky's?

« Reply #10 on: 09 April, 2015, 07:51:51 am »
What's Dinky's?

It's a 24 hour transport cafe - here is a fairly accurate review of the daytime visit, but the one in the wee small hours has a different clientele.

« Reply #11 on: 09 April, 2015, 10:56:58 am »
It's a bit pokey and the seating is only outdoors so there's no warmth or shelter if its cold and weathery. Also it's cheap instant coffee only so not my favourite place. A weak cup of Nescafe doesn't really seem to set me up for the section to Newtown. If I do this again I may take a thermos mug with me and load up at McD's at Whitchurch.

« Reply #12 on: 09 April, 2015, 12:26:54 pm »
^^^^^^  Don't forget the toilets: only wish it was possible!

« Reply #13 on: 10 April, 2015, 05:26:50 am »
Sounds lovely, looking forward to stopping there.  ;)

« Reply #14 on: 12 April, 2015, 12:39:55 pm »
well team , I rode it yesterday alone setting off at 04 00, all is in order huge field . just hope the weather is more kind to you than me grim going south blown most of the way home ,looking forward to meeting you all next Saturday  ;D

« Reply #15 on: 12 April, 2015, 01:43:45 pm »
well team , I rode it yesterday alone setting off at 04 00, all is in order huge field . just hope the weather is more kind to you than me grim going south blown most of the way home ,looking forward to meeting you all next Saturday  ;D

Well done!  I rode the May as Well Solstice yesterday so had the same wind to contend with, and it wasn't that warm.  Let's hope we don't have 150km of that next weekend.

The plan is to ride out next Saturday.  I'll aim to arrive in good time, and if I'm early I'll grab a coffee at McDonalds in Hazel Grove, 15 mins (4km) from the start.

« Reply #16 on: 19 April, 2015, 07:19:21 pm »
Back home in Darlo now and I've just had a wonderful, welcome shower. It was a bit hot in the day, after the freezing overnight.

Thanks for a lovely ride, Peter. Card'll be in the post tomorrow.

And congrats to Flat Earth Bob on completing the Skeggy/Plains double.

More random thoughts to follow.

ETA: Marcus, the Pig shuts at ten, so I had to use the pizza place opposite.

« Reply #17 on: 19 April, 2015, 10:05:23 pm »
Made a bunch of eating choices that led me to feeling pretty sick and weird by the second Dinky's.   :facepalm: Definitely some lessons there!

Thanks to Pete for organising the ride and to everyone I rode with for, for riding with me, giving me a wheel to follow when I was feeling particularly wonky and listening to me witter, moan, swear and burp. Especially the "Dream team" of Tom, Phil and Steve. You are true gentlemen.

Chris S

« Reply #18 on: 19 April, 2015, 10:08:27 pm »
Made a bunch of eating choices that led me to feeling pretty sick and weird by the second Dinky's.   :facepalm: Definitely some lessons there!

This is a common configuration at Dinky's, but I think it's more to do with Drinking Choices than Eating Choices  ;D

When I was there on the Plains 300 a few years ago, all I wanted was cereal, but all I was offered was a Fry Up.

« Reply #19 on: 20 April, 2015, 05:08:50 pm »
I rode with two camera and a sound recorder. I didn't do much filming of the riding, as the gloves and the road surfaces precluded that. it was more of a test for the equipment and for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meZwx9ekams

Ben T

« Reply #20 on: 20 April, 2015, 06:19:37 pm »
I struggled to eat much as well, i think mcdonalds definitely do put some chemicals in their food that makes you only want/able to eat their food in future.
I would have been well up for necking a load of rice pudding at dinkys but they sadly didn't have it.  :-[
I think it must be something to do with fat. At 200km I couldn't eat any of the dinky's offerings most of which were animal fat heavy, i.e. fried bacon, fried sausages, fried eggs, fried this that or the other, etc. Could it be that mcdonalds disguise animal fat or add something to increase its digestibility, 'cos i'm sure sausage egg mcmuffins are quite fatty, and I managed to eat 2 at the 150km mark. So it's either them, or something between 150km and 200km.

« Reply #21 on: 20 April, 2015, 06:56:59 pm »
At Dinky's, I had beans on toast on the way out and cheese toastie on the way back.  McD's have porridge available which I purchased, but could not face as I think I had already had too much food.

Very cold through the night compared to last week's through the night event starting from Manningtree. But cooler in the day which was nice.

Last 160km with a very badly buckled wheel and very nice tea and cake at the Old Priest House café in Audlem; you can't cycle past a café that is a legend, can you?

Many thanks to Peter for the organisation and to the wheels I followed.

« Reply #22 on: 20 April, 2015, 07:50:10 pm »
I saw on person eating a amazing vanilla slice at dinkys on the way down. I promised myself one on the way back. In fact I thought about nothing else for most of the ride back.

oh no sold out....

was gutted...  ( cherry cake was not quite it! )

First night ride and I didn't need much rocking Sunday night!

cheers everybody

Peter BT

« Reply #23 on: 20 April, 2015, 07:50:58 pm »
Hi Ella good to meet up with you yesterday, pity about the sunrise but I hope you got your lasagne. It was a good route although I was very unprepared for he distance I don't think I'd ridden more than 100km in a single ride this year. As a consequence my knees were saw and my back ached. I never realised how bleak and empty southern Cheshire was especially when I was longing for pub to be round the next corner that made chips. I eventually got my cops at the final control and took some paracetamol and ibuprofen. As the final kilometres were ticked off, the world was becoming more and more a better place.
It was nice to set off as a group gormig a pelaton on and past Joderal bank. But then one kind rider informed me that my light had stopped working. By the time I had swapped it for another the peleton was gone and I didn't meet anybody else until the first control. Funny how your imagination plants strange thoughts whilst travelling those long, dark, empty lanes.

« Reply #24 on: 20 April, 2015, 08:19:13 pm »
Great ride. Fast pace to first control, mainly to avoid getting left alone in the lanes before getting me head around things. Good quick pace to Dinky's followed by sausage and egg. Then made the mistake of gunning it straight away which laid the fried grub a bit heavy. Too much high five and I struggle to eat much after that. I did manage a jam toastie at Dinky's 2 but not much after. A single banana took two hours to eat. Next big ride I'll have hardly any high five and stick to proper grub. Due to sleep deprivation, I was convinced I'd become invisible whilst climbing the col due Birtles.

Thanks to tubbycyclist who gave me a tow/kept me company for what would've been a long lonely run to the last control and to Pete for organising it and being incredibly jolly at both the start and arrivee, though the can of San Miguel may have helped at the latter...