Author Topic: Plains 310 2015  (Read 2944 times)

GraemeMcC

• CaptainContours
Re: Plains 310 2015
« Reply #25 on: 21 April, 2015, 01:06:26 pm »
High 5 - does strange things to gut linings!
I'm back on it now, having used 2 x 800ml bottles in Yr Elenydd last weekend and got away with it, without rear propulsion effects  ;D
And I've been OK after this ride too.
But I couldn't take to it on early season 200s (or much of last year either). I tried to get by on Nuun and similar tabs, but whilst Nuun is great for hot, sweaty weather, I'm not convinced that the legs replenish glycogen from the stuff, or the stuffing I seemed to take. Whereas, the High 5 fructose blend does energize - Energy Source does what it says on the tin.

On the 300s, I've taken care to eat pasta the night before (instead of favoured Thai yellow/red curries) and only eat solids at Controls (or just the odd bite of flapjack on 70+km stages). And I try to eat low GI stuff. Perhaps the slower rate of ingestion and absorption of food doesn't react with the High 5? And I only take small sips of the High 5, every 5 or 10km or so, which may not be overloading the stomach.

Maybe you have to let the gut microbiotics adapt gradually?

I'll keep experimenting slowly, as High 5 is desirable to get through an SR and PBP, though I may be onto Kronenbourg by mid August...  :demon:

Anyone coping with SIS Go?  ReGo used to make me have to Go, and Go, and Go yet again, for up to 3 days after ingestion.  :facepalm:
PBP 2011: 1234 km by Nr. 5678 in < 90 hrs. Most auspicious...

Re: Plains 310 2015
« Reply #26 on: 25 April, 2015, 10:10:57 pm »
I saw on person eating a amazing vanilla slice at dinkys on the way down. I promised myself one on the way back. In fact I thought about nothing else for most of the ride back.

oh no sold out....

was gutted...  ( cherry cake was not quite it! )

First night ride and I didn't need much rocking Sunday night!

cheers everybody

Peter BT
I also saw on person eating a amazing vanilla slice at Dinkys on the way down. I had the last Vanilla slice at Dinkys on the way back. It was very nice :)