Author Topic: New to Audax-Require suggestions please  (Read 7639 times)

legitlee

New to Audax-Require suggestions please
« on: 27 July, 2011, 08:10:40 am »
Hi I was hoping for some suggestions please. I have only been cycling for just over a year, I trained last winter to concentrate on Sportives this year. However since then I have found out about Audax, whilst I enjoyed Sportives I spent most of my time looking at my computer not my surroundings. I also feel that they are expensive for what you get.

I quite like the idea of planning, preparing, and executing a Audax ride. The other day I plotted a 200km route with pretend controls, I carried far to much stuff for 200km but I wanted to see if I could cope. I completed my course (maybe a little to quick) and felt as though I had achieved something.

I have joined Audax UK and plan on having ago at Beware of the Plague starting from Alfreton 16th Oct as my first ride.

I Live in Nottingham I am currently a member of CTC and I plan to join Alfreton CTC as they have club rides and seem to have a Audax wing as such.

I would be grateful for some ideas of which rides to aim for, for next season? in my dreams I want to have a go at loads of distances but I really don't have any idea and no experience. It would be no good for me to choose the first 600 that comes along as I would imagine I would bin it and then never attempt another Audax, I'm guessing I would have to build up to anything over 200km. I'm asking for suggestions for a ride program for 2012 (in the Midlands/Lincolnshire ish area) so I will have goals for winter training. Thank you so much in anticipation, I really am relying on your experiences.........Lee

border-rider

Re: New to Audax-Require suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: 27 July, 2011, 08:27:09 am »
The usual approach is to ride 100s and 200s over the winter & early season so that by March you're entirely comfortable at that distance.  Then going into April enter a couple of 300s, then a 400 and a 600 that takes your fancy in May/June.

Just ride what you fancy, really.

(Welcome, by the way. I'm sure some people from your neck of the woods will be along with some specific suggestions for rides.)

« Reply #2 on: 27 July, 2011, 08:31:15 am »
Given your comment about the local CTC group, I think I would be guided by them - they'll know which are the better local(ish) events, and also provide companionship / lift-sharing possibilities.

From this community you will get any number of propsitions as to the "best" 200, 300 etc.  I have my own list, but as it is so dependent on a wide range of factors (not least the weather when you do the ride) I don't propose to start this particular willy-comparing.

But very few events leave one wishing one hadn't bothered - they are all designed by cyclists for cyclists.

« Reply #3 on: 27 July, 2011, 08:35:29 am »
There are plenty of Audaxes starting from Alfreton. You could go for the Roses to Wrags 200K, which is usually held in March. The Skeggy 300K. Then the Moors and Wolds 400K. This year Skeggy was in April and Moors and Wolds was in May.

All good rides and fairly flat.

There is a 600K from Derby,  never done this one, but I've heard that's it's mentally tough as it loops back close to the start at half distance and there's a big temptation to pack.
Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #4 on: 27 July, 2011, 09:13:18 am »
Seems to be quite a few of us in Nottingham now.

A third recommendation for the Alfreton rides. Easily accesible from Nottingham, think the only one I've had to use the car for was skeggy as it was too early to cycle over for (for me) or for the trains. There's a few other organisers close by as well, there's a couple of rides starting from Trowell and other places.

getting up to the distances isn't too much of a problem as long as you take it sensibly. I only restarted on a bike after 13 years off last decemeber and so far this year have done a couple of 100s and 200s, a 300 and am just waiting to hear back on validation for a DIY 600 last weekend. Got my eye on a 1000 or 2 next year.......

Remember you can get your self designed 200s 'validated' as DIYs if you follow the rules - http://www.aukweb.net/diy/

Hopefully see you on a ride soon

« Reply #5 on: 27 July, 2011, 09:17:03 am »
Lee
You might want to use the Audax Calendar to investigate rides starting in your area. The ride's event page normally has a brief description of where it's going and sometimes a link to a webpage for further information or sometimes a GPX of the route. You can narrow down the search results (including region and distance) using the controls at the top of the page.

You can even search backwards by adjusting the date and look at events from earlier on this year to give you an idea of what's been on near you. A lot of events tend to run every year at roughly the same date.

Welcome to Audax and the forum!

mikeluke

« Reply #6 on: 27 July, 2011, 11:47:48 am »
Sounds like you have the right attitude. Worth bearing in mind that physically being able to cycle the distances is only part of the challenge. Learning how much you need to eat and drink and when, how much sleep you need and what to take in terms of wet weather gear / spares / tools become increasingly important in the longer rides, especially 400km plus. These all need to be individual solutions for you that you can only figure out by reflecting on your set-up after each audax.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #7 on: 27 July, 2011, 12:08:36 pm »
Don't get carried away!  You don't have to ramp up to a 600 next season if you don't want to, wait and see.  You don't have to do every single ride that's going either. Feel free to have a break over the winter if that's what you want.
Try a few more 200s and see what you want to do next. It's meant to  be fun.
Roses to Wrags is lumpy at the ends and flat in the middle when you do a big loop around Lincoln. another vote in favour.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #8 on: 27 July, 2011, 12:28:24 pm »
You can't really go wrong with the Alfreton rides, they are very well organised & the Alfreton CTC lads & ladies are a great bunch of people  :thumbsup:

There is a map option on the Audax website to help look for local rides.  Check out our rides from Tamworth we have a 50k 100k & 200k event in September & will be running a 200k in December if you want to keep the legs ticking over through the winter.

The rides from Moira run by Ian Hill are also very good as are the rides from Darley Abbey run by Keith Scholey & the Bolsover events run by Matt Connley, I could go on.....  :)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Billy Weir

« Reply #9 on: 27 July, 2011, 01:22:19 pm »
Have fun and giggles until the Autumn, by which time full details of the events for next year will be out and you can plan in earnest.  Mal Volio's post laid out the basics so I won't repeat them.  I'd only add not to worry too much about "training", as there isn't really specific training for audax.  It's more about learning what works for you on ever longer rides, particularly when you do events that stretch into darkness (which will generally be 200s over the winter, 300s in the spring/autumn and 400+ in the summer) and in rotten weather conditions.

The joy of audax is that there are challenges that can be tailored to everyone's preferences; be it a local SR series, travelling to events around the country or even overseas.  This forum has reports on most of the UK rides - you'll soon pick up that events such as the Elenith, Irish Mail, Bryan Chapman, Kernow and South West, Dean, Brevet Cymru, Severn Across, Three Coasts (and many others) have loyal followings.  That's not to say they are the best, but they are probably ones that you won't go far wrong with if you do them.

And don't discount the lure of the UK's premier event, London-Edinburgh-London, in 2013...

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #10 on: 27 July, 2011, 01:37:25 pm »
Look out for new events in N Lincolnshire organised by Stuart Greenaway.

He organised a very good 160km in June, and he's got a 100 on Sept 11th.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #11 on: 27 July, 2011, 11:09:33 pm »
Did Rosies & Skeggy as my first 200 & 300 this year. Both excellent events, highly recommended :thumbsup:

« Reply #12 on: 28 July, 2011, 08:14:57 am »
Tamworth CTC are just down the motorway and they provide some good audaxes throughout the year.

http://tamworthcyclingclub.blogspot.com/p/tamworth-cycling-club-audaxes.html

Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

legitlee

« Reply #13 on: 28 July, 2011, 11:21:09 am »
 :) Thank you all so much for you time and advice. I'm looking forward to making a start.

One thing that has pleased me is training (why)? Spending hours on a Turbo trainer and rollers in the spare room all of a sudden does not appeal to me.  :-\

Why don't I just find a Audax and ride it, it has to be more fun  ;D       Thanks again Lee

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #14 on: 28 July, 2011, 12:38:07 pm »
Tamworth CC are just down the motorway and they provide some good audaxes throughout the year.

http://tamworthcyclingclub.blogspot.com/p/tamworth-cycling-club-audaxes.html

Thanks  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15 on: 28 July, 2011, 03:25:39 pm »
The atmosphere at the AUK Reunion and Dinner weekend is usually great. If you have the time, inclination and cash, join us and get to know the folks at a convivial time when you won't have to fret about the things that may worry you on the road.
Welcome!