Author Topic: DOTD  (Read 212063 times)

Re: DOTD
« Reply #775 on: 22 February, 2019, 08:10:28 am »
May I share the image from my reading of that Roadcc page, complete with ads?

;D

nicknack

• Hornblower
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #777 on: 21 March, 2019, 09:02:30 am »
I've been left hooked by a car before, but today was the first time I've witnessed a cyclist right hook a car!
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Warneford+Ln,+Oxford/@51.7506611,-1.2243504,20.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x4876c15d5b2a8c35:0x39e02a8e84b4d079!8m2!3d51.751793!4d-1.2228897
Driving along Warneford lane towards the roundabout, the car in front of me slowed and stopped to allow a cyclist on the roundabout to pass.  It then indicated left and entered the roundabout to turn left down Divinity Road. As they slowed, a person on an MTB undertook the car (in a cycle lane), and attempted to take the second exit on the roundabout, crossing the path of the car. Thankfully, the car stopped. The person on a MTB slowed slightly, swerved and carried on.
The driver could have indicated a bit earlier, but was otherwise blameless. If the person on MTB repeats that manoever, there is likely to be a collision. :(

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #778 on: 21 March, 2019, 09:46:39 am »
Not exactly rare though. Riding right round the outside of a roundabout, crossing every exit to reach the one you want, used to be (still is?) a recommended technique for cyclists in the Highway Code.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #779 on: 21 March, 2019, 10:29:25 am »
Not exactly rare though. Riding right round the outside of a roundabout, crossing every exit to reach the one you want, used to be (still is?) a recommended technique for cyclists in the Highway Code.
It's surprisingly rare at that roundabout (I drive it every day). Most cyclists will indicate and move to the middle of the lane if they are tuning right.
Doing so while not indicating after passing a left indicating car is just putting yourself in danger.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #780 on: 21 March, 2019, 10:34:13 am »
I tried the technique one, way back when, and decided it was putting yourself in danger however at any roundabout. The appeal of "keeping out of the way" is clear to unconfident cyclists but it really is not safe.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #781 on: 21 March, 2019, 12:17:51 pm »

I don't think I've done that since Cycling Proficiency, and thinking about it, I don't recall seeing it done in the wild (I've seen cyclists take bad lines at roundabouts, of course, but not the actual gutter-hugging-while-indicating-right thing we were taught).  I suspect those who think it's a good idea are the ones who bail to the pavement as soon as there's a roundabout, possibly due to bad experiences.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #782 on: 21 March, 2019, 01:10:07 pm »
Yeah, it's the gutter-hugging line I was thinking of. I don't think I've seen anyone doing the signalling right at the same time. I don't know if anyone's doing it because they learnt it umpty years ago, probably more likely they're just scared of "getting in the way."

« Reply #783 on: 21 March, 2019, 01:26:09 pm »
In this case, I think he was just zipping down the cycle lane and trying to jump ahead of the car (and hadn't seen the cyclist on the roundabout - he almost ran into the back of her). IMO it was down to carelessness plus rushing, not timidity.

« Reply #784 on: 21 March, 2019, 04:13:46 pm »
My nomination would be the guy on the MTB at a massive roundabout near Aberdeen. Cycling on the road rather than using the beautiful cycle path at the side, coming down the inside of my car, then taking the entry corner wide as well as cutting over into the lane.

And to top it all he had headphones in so was oblivious to the rush hour traffic.

G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #785 on: 21 March, 2019, 06:56:16 pm »
The 'not using the cycle path' has raised my hackles a bit!

You do understand that theres no requirement to do so, and in plenty of cases its inappropriate?
Riding a road bike at 30+ kph is not appropriate for shared use cycle paths, and the road is the right place.
Also, dear old Aberdeen and shire cooncils do not treat the cycle paths, which are dangerously icy in winter.

Filtering through slow moving or stationary traffic, eg at the approach to junctions or roundabouts is fine, so long as you don't filter up the inside of traffic turning left and put yourself in danger.

Can you elaborate on exactly what roundabout this was, and what direction you were approaching from?

I ride in the Westhill Kingswells road and over the Kingswells rab every day, and yes, I get shouted at by usually one person each day.

F.

« Reply #786 on: 22 March, 2019, 10:49:38 am »
I agree that sometimes it is better being on the road given the way they have messed up the cycle paths, combining the bikes and people doesn’t always work. The section in from Westhill to Aberdeen is generally well used.

It is the new Kingsford roundabout approaching from Westhill.

What probably rattled my cage was the way he came up on my inside when I was at the line. When cycling I have always hold back at least a car length so the driver can see me, I don’t fancy becoming a statistic.

G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #787 on: 22 March, 2019, 11:01:17 am »
That's not what I would call a 'beautiful cycle path'.

« Reply #788 on: 22 March, 2019, 11:49:04 am »
My nomination would be the guy on the MTB at a massive roundabout near Aberdeen. Cycling on the road rather than using the beautiful cycle path at the side, coming down the inside of my car, then taking the entry corner wide as well as cutting over into the lane.

And to top it all he had headphones in so was oblivious to the rush hour traffic.
There are cycle paths for probably 50% of my commute from West Lothian into Edinburgh. However I would choose to ride them for probably 0% of the time. They are untreated, covered in debris, shared use (so runners, walkers, dogs, etc.) and force you to stop every 2 mins.

Just because this guy had headphones on, how do you know he was oblivious to traffic?

« Reply #789 on: 23 March, 2019, 08:50:36 pm »

There are cycle paths for probably 50% of my commute from West Lothian into Edinburgh. However I would choose to ride them for probably 0% of the time. They are untreated, covered in debris, shared use (so runners, walkers, dogs, etc.) and force you to stop every 2 mins.

Just because this guy had headphones on, how do you know he was oblivious to traffic?

Horses for courses: I found those cycle paths to be great. The A8 wasn't a good option for me. I now ride paths for about 20 out of 25km commute: Its a canal path, shared use but still a lot less stop start than city roads.   

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #790 on: 27 March, 2019, 09:17:30 am »
^ and your lungs will thank you for it too.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #791 on: 04 April, 2019, 06:15:34 pm »
I went for a brace yesterday
1 - charming gentleman who drove through the red light at a 4-way light.  The driver in front of him had gone through well after the light had changed, he upped his game by driving through with no hint of amber or green.  Extra points for the classy finish, gesticulating angrily at me for riding through when my light was green - yes, I should have pulled over and got off the road to let him through my bad.
2 - dedicated experience driver overtaking me on a tight right hand turn, he did get a good look at the oncoming vehicle coming in the opposite direction but chose valour and accelerated towards them to the best of his engine's ability.  Some pacey stuff through a 20mph school zone, followed by parking up outside of his house a significant handful of seconds before I caught up with him (a curse upon those slower drivers ahead of him/her).
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #792 on: 05 April, 2019, 11:50:27 am »
@fd3. I think those two examples - whilst illustrating the behaviour of two of nature's finest wankspanners - actually belong in the Motorised Moron thread, this one being reserved (AIUI) for people on velocipedes behaving like, well, dicks...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #793 on: 06 April, 2019, 12:08:19 am »
Ooops, my bad.  I have resolutioned not to criticise my two-wheeled bredrin, no matter how dunsish they may be - from the title I assumed incorrectly...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #794 on: 06 April, 2019, 12:12:48 am »
Today's award goes to the pavement cyclist holding his phone in one hand and eating a sandwich with another.  This is standard Brummie driving behaviour, so on balance I'm glad he was on a bike.

« Reply #795 on: 09 April, 2019, 04:53:41 pm »
Today's award goes to the pavement cyclist holding his phone in one hand and eating a sandwich with another.  This is standard Brummie driving behaviour, so on balance I'm glad he was on a bike.
Well played sir*! I envy the skillz on display.

(* and/or madam)

« Reply #796 on: 14 April, 2019, 02:43:18 pm »
Five of us riding in a fairly tight two up group on a club ride in the countryside this morning, I'm on the back. Suddenly two randoms appear and force their way into the little gap in front of me *side-by-side* and start riding with us.

I shout at them to get out of our group. They give me a whole load of lip about how hard it is to overtake on a hill with oncoming traffic. Then why did you bloody start?

« Reply #797 on: 24 April, 2019, 08:23:37 am »
Me, last night.

Doing a turn on club run turned chaingang, I glanced over my shoulder to check it was clear before I pulled off to the right. Due to the road surface, we were already riding down the centre of the lane (unmarked) so I effectively swung out onto the other lane.

Immediate shrieks of 'CAR BACK', to my horror there was a tiny Peugeot thing in the process overtaking us. Total SMIDSY on my part.  :facepalm:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #798 on: 24 April, 2019, 09:06:31 am »
Me, last night.

Doing a turn on club run turned chaingang, I glanced over my shoulder to check it was clear before I pulled off to the right. Due to the road surface, we were already riding down the centre of the lane (unmarked) so I effectively swung out onto the other lane.

Immediate shrieks of 'CAR BACK', to my horror there was a tiny Peugeot thing in the process overtaking us. Total SMIDSY on my part.  :facepalm:
<raises hand>
I will happily Second this Nomination.

:)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #799 on: 27 April, 2019, 01:10:04 pm »
Coming out of Leicester towards the M1/M69 the other day. Waiting in a queue at a set of traffic lights in Big Van. Watching the scene unfold:

- cyclist (who I'd passed a bit earlier) sqeeeeeezing up the left hand side of the traffic queue (including Big Van)..... really there wasn't space for that
- two cars ahead of Big Van, the front car had stopped short and made a big gap for a person coming out of the side road on the left to turn right

Neither the cyclist squeezing up the left hand side of the queue nor the car coming out of the side road to turn right seemed to either do much looking or recognise the risks posed by their respective manoevres.

Thankfully the car was just a bit fast and the cyclist just a bit slow so what looked like an almost inevitable collision was avoided.

People, please do look where you're going no matter what vehicle you're using (especially in Leicester which has a traffic "style" all of it's own  ::-)) . Patience is a virtue.

GC