Author Topic: WEDNESDAY Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride  (Read 187497 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: Thursday Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride
« Reply #25 on: 02 February, 2012, 11:36:09 pm »

:D  :D  :D

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #26 on: 06 February, 2012, 11:26:01 am »
So, this week it is on WEDNESDAY.  Just to, you know, confuse people....

Who's in?

BTW it is York on Thursday
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

LindaG

« Reply #27 on: 06 February, 2012, 12:16:00 pm »
Not me, sorry.  At work.

tiermat

« Reply #28 on: 13 February, 2012, 11:52:09 am »
OK, so Wednesday didn't happen, due to weather and a big dose of CBA.

This week, however it is back on, we have a good forecast for Thursday (both day and night) and a destination (or we will have shortly).

Show of hands please.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CrinklyLion

« Reply #29 on: 13 February, 2012, 12:47:39 pm »
Yup!

LindaG

« Reply #30 on: 13 February, 2012, 02:01:55 pm »
Nope.  At work, sorry  :(

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #31 on: 13 February, 2012, 06:43:34 pm »
Thanks to the paucity of trains in the right direction at a suitably late hour, I won't be able to do these ever! :'( :'(  The last train back from Northallerton leaves at 1936, or York at 2116.  Which is just rubbish.  Even the York one takes 3 hours to get me home, compared to 1h30 or so in the middle of the day.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

LindaG

« Reply #32 on: 19 February, 2012, 05:37:15 pm »
Well.  When I was out playing on bikes this afternoon, we popped in to The Grange Arms in Hornby, where I chatted up the landlord/lady (very nice people) who said that, although they do not usually do chips, they were happy to do so for a small group of cyclists on a Thursday night, if we arrange it in advance.

Thursday is lads' night apparently, they were worried in case we were offended by bad language  ;)

Just saying, like.

Open fires.  Copper dragon.

tiermat

« Reply #33 on: 19 February, 2012, 05:52:00 pm »
Well.  When I was out playing on bikes this afternoon, we popped in to The Grange Arms in Hornby, where I chatted up the landlord/lady (very nice people) who said that, although they do not usually do chips, they were happy to do so for a small group of cyclists on a Thursday night, if we arrange it in advance.

Cool !!!  :thumbsup:

Thursday is lads' night apparently, they were worried in case we were offended by bad language  ;)

My stock answer would have been, not really, I am sure the lads that are normally in would get used to it :)

Open fires.  Copper dragon.

When can we go? Now? Can we? can we? huh? huh?

Oh, BTW which Hornby? :)

LindaG

« Reply #34 on: 19 February, 2012, 05:55:33 pm »
The one where the Grange Arms is.  DL6 2JQ

I haz biznus cards  :smug:

tiermat

« Reply #35 on: 03 March, 2012, 10:21:43 am »
This week? Thursday?

Choices are Hornby or Thirsk.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #36 on: 03 March, 2012, 10:22:23 am »
 :thumbsup:

Thirsk works very well for the return journey for me....

tiermat

« Reply #37 on: 03 March, 2012, 10:24:52 am »
....and it means fish finger butties (for those that eat fish) or very garlicky garlic mushrooms for the vegemetarians in our midst :)

CrinklyUncle

• #TCRNo6cap23
« Reply #38 on: 05 March, 2012, 08:06:55 pm »
I am thinking of coming along this week

CrinklyLion

« Reply #39 on: 05 March, 2012, 08:19:32 pm »
Train, or are you planning to ride up?  It's cheapest to get a day return to NTR and smile sweetly at the guard in the hope of not getting told off for travelling shrt on the return, if training to the start btw.  The train hat gets in at 6:08 is always v busy and has 2 or 3 bikes on.  I might see if I can start early enough to finish early enough for the earlier TPE.

tiermat

« Reply #40 on: 05 March, 2012, 08:27:29 pm »
We (i.e. Myself, Mrs T and TLD) discovered another corker of a pub at the weekend, not a million miles from Hornby.

The Lord Nelson Inn @ Appleton Whiske serves excellent grub and is a free house (despite what it says outside about it being a John Smiths House)

One to bear in mind...

CrinklyUncle

• #TCRNo6cap23
« Reply #41 on: 05 March, 2012, 08:56:49 pm »
Train, or are you planning to ride up?  It's cheapest to get a day return to NTR and smile sweetly at the guard in the hope of not getting told off for travelling shrt on the return, if training to the start btw.  The train hat gets in at 6:08 is always v busy and has 2 or 3 bikes on.  I might see if I can start early enough to finish early enough for the earlier TPE.

Probably by car, but not figured it out properly yet, how long is the ride going to be?

tiermat

« Reply #42 on: 05 March, 2012, 09:13:02 pm »
Good question CU, it is going to e somewhere in the region of 20 miles** or so (dependent on direction we go in)

**Although, at the moment, for me it would be 330+X miles as I am elsewhere in the country, but will be back in NY by Wednesday night

tiermat

« Reply #43 on: 08 March, 2012, 11:09:59 am »
OK, so tonight's plan is to head North.

Arrive at pub.

Drink beer.

Eat Chips.

Ride home.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #44 on: 08 March, 2012, 11:13:34 am »
What an excellent plan that appears to be!

I'm expecting to be train assisted from and to York, so usual sort of time at THoFC?  Then back to NTR in time for the 10:30 tpe?

tiermat

« Reply #45 on: 08 March, 2012, 12:18:18 pm »
What an excellent plan that appears to be!

I'm expecting to be train assisted from and to York, so usual sort of time at THoFC?  Then back to NTR in time for the 10:30 tpe?

yes, usual time  and place  :thumbsup:

thelazycyclist

• where's crusty?
    • thelazycyclist
« Reply #46 on: 08 March, 2012, 01:22:37 pm »
Whereabouts North of Northallerton are you planning to be eating chips and drinking beer?  Just so I can consider logistical implications, you know.
The friendly landlord helped us put our bikes into his very big shed.  Very carefully we did not fall into the acid bath which was there.

tiermat

« Reply #47 on: 08 March, 2012, 01:33:51 pm »
I was thinking either Appleton Whiske or Hornby

CrinklyLion

« Reply #48 on: 08 March, 2012, 11:51:57 pm »
Kittehs, little dragons, pubs, beer, chips (more chips that we could eat  :o), bikes, the biggest and fattest butter-yellow moon, and good company.  Good stuff - thanks yet again Tiermat.  Sleepy tired now...

tiermat

« Reply #49 on: 09 March, 2012, 09:32:20 am »
I really really enjoyed that, as CL says, kitteh, TLD (who I see everyday anyway), pubs (yes plural, the first didn't do food on a Thursday night, my bad!).

The only downside was the cloud cover on the way back, and me not realising the other guys were going the scenic way back, so I had a lonely, tough, windy, hilly ride back instead of a fun, flat, chatty one :(