Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1627208 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #5800 on: 10 January, 2015, 11:36:48 am »
I've had enough. I'm going to look at touring through Wales instead

I know you have changed your mind. See if you can find Gordy's round ireland trip thread, as of a couple of years ago, very informative.

Thanks. just found that report and Jane's write up as well. I think it's more timescales and time of year that was working against me when I was planning on Thursday. I'm thinking of looking at touring over there later in the year, something like September, and maybe taking a little more time over it.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5801 on: 10 January, 2015, 01:31:08 pm »
Bloody Amazon keeps shoving Assos FI.Mille S5 shorts at me for 119€, then when I click through they're four sizes too big and no other sizes available.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5802 on: 11 January, 2015, 08:37:45 am »
Ex-colleague, what the hell were you doing putting the full installed directory trees as part of a website, including all the help languages, directories of 400 files, 9 levels down, and then backing the whole lot up to the same web server?

I've deleted 50,000 files so far and I don't know how long the FTP program is going to be chuntering before it finishes.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5803 on: 11 January, 2015, 04:10:31 pm »
Mum, the book you asked me to get you for Christmas isn't just hard to find - it doesn't actually exist! :facepalm:

(This was a genuine request not a wind up)

Get her this instead.  My grate frend Uncle Marvo says it's a cracking read.

But there are no customer reviews! Why has your Grate Frend Uncle Marvo been so lax in his public duties? I think, Mr. L, you should write one for him.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5804 on: 11 January, 2015, 04:31:50 pm »
Uncle Marvo does not believe in Public Duties, because he is a pikey.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5805 on: 11 January, 2015, 10:24:13 pm »
Cycles as mobility aids is a whole other rant, of course...
This has been commented in a thread in LCC emails about someone fined for riding on the pavement. (There was some question as to whether the path was shared use and there was some reason he used it anyway), where someone declared that he should just have walked and pushed his bike and K (who has one leg) pointed out that he didn't have that option and many others don't either.
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5806 on: 12 January, 2015, 12:11:43 am »
Cycles as mobility aids is a whole other rant, of course...
This has been commented in a thread in LCC emails about someone fined for riding on the pavement. (There was some question as to whether the path was shared use and there was some reason he used it anyway), where someone declared that he should just have walked and pushed his bike and K (who has one leg) pointed out that he didn't have that option and many others don't either.

Stick a crutch carrier on (or make some other disability-specific adaptation to) the bike, and it (probably, IANAL) achieves the same legal status[1] as a wheelchair[2].

[1] Assuming a disabled rider, and no electrickery, this satisfies the criteria for a Class 1 Invalid Carriage.
[2] Manually propelled.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5807 on: 12 January, 2015, 12:28:30 am »
K's green Brompton appears fairly standard, even when there's a crutch being carried and only one pedal.
Arguing with official jobsworths is tiresome and demoralising.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5808 on: 12 January, 2015, 12:31:07 am »
K's green Brompton appears fairly standard, even when there's a crutch being carried and only one pedal.

That'll do.

Arguing with official jobsworths is tiresome and demoralising.

Indeed.  It's a piece of law that only uppity disabled people and pedants on cycle forums seem to be familiar with, with the obvious effect of counting for approximately nothing when faced with jobsworths...

(It's now academic for barakta, on account of electrickery that meets the EAPC but not Class 2/3 Invalid Carriage spec.)

« Reply #5809 on: 12 January, 2015, 09:14:59 am »
Does that mean barakta could legitimately ride her trice round the supermarket.  :demon:

Obviously it would need someone else to push the trolley / pick anything off any shelf above the bottom one.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5810 on: 12 January, 2015, 11:28:41 am »
Does that mean barakta could legitimately ride her trice round the supermarket.  :demon:

No, not even on the pavement.

Unless you took the motor off.

Anyway, an ICE trike would be rubbish in a supermarket.  That's a job for a Kettwiesel.  :D

« Reply #5811 on: 12 January, 2015, 07:36:56 pm »
 ;D
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #5812 on: 12 January, 2015, 09:56:59 pm »
Fine, staying off the sauce for my three-month course of meds is probably wise, though having a totally dry birthday is a bit of a bore, but why the bizarrely specific other prohibitions? Red wine, ok, tuna, whatever, but you want me to go without cheese for 90 days?! Have you no humanity?!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5813 on: 12 January, 2015, 10:13:52 pm »
If it's MAOI anti-depressants, keep off the Stilton!  :( :(

Tyramine-induced hypertensive crises are best avoided.

Sorry!

IANAPsychiatrist but AIUI MOAIs work really well for some people but living without teh Blue Cheez is a misery.

« Reply #5814 on: 12 January, 2015, 10:38:12 pm »
Thanks - antibiotics rather than MAOIs, but I was warned that cheese might lead to palpitations; I wondered what the culprit was that couldn't be found in other dairy products...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5815 on: 12 January, 2015, 11:08:44 pm »
Don't know enough detail to comment...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5816 on: 13 January, 2015, 06:52:57 pm »
The Bastard Builders over the road seem to have taken to running their diesel-powered Annoyance 24/7.  Sugar.  Fuel tank.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5817 on: 13 January, 2015, 09:47:55 pm »
The Bastard Builders over the road seem to have taken to running their diesel-powered Annoyance 24/7.  Sugar.  Fuel tank.

Alternatively offer them use of an extension lead from Larrington Towers (at a suitable rate of recompense obv)
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

fuzzy

« Reply #5818 on: 16 January, 2015, 08:38:12 am »
OK, so the front passenger seat seatbelt warning light sometimes doesn't. Or when it does it shouldn't. And the seatbelt pretensioner warning light is about as decisive as an indecisive thing after a severe beating about the head. And the front passenger airbag warning light lies.

I take the front seat out and untie all the magic anbaric knots and retie them and put the seat back. Result? NFC :demon:

Send cage off to cage repairers. They plug in their guru which says Body Control Unit is borked. That will be £518 to replace all in says the guru operator but we have to order the thing as we don't hold it in stock so we can't fix before Wednesday at the earliest. I says OK, I'll pick the car up in a mo. He says fine but you will have to pay for the part in advance as it is a SPECIAL THING.

I arrives at the cage repairers and the guru supervisor says hello here is your car. That will be the cost of the part plus £60 for the honour of us telling you you have to spend over £500 :o

You mean you aren't including the diagnostic cost in the cost of the repair?

No.

Money grabbing wankers.

I hope, for their sake, that they have discumknockerated the seat sensor and checked the wiring continuity because if they haven't I don't think we will need the medium of yacf.co.uk to gauge Fuzzy Rtd etc's response to 'We've changed the body control unit and the fault's come back!'

If a car dealership is suddenly engulfed in an enormous fireball . . .

You may jest......

Picked car up last night. Started engine, pre tensioner warning light refused to go out >:(

So, the cage is back at the fettlers. I get a call yesterday arvo from Fettler Admin Dude (FAD)- "Have you had battery problems? We are getting 4 low voltage error codes", "Yes" I reply. "We replaced the battery a little while ago". "Before or after we changed the BCU?" FAD asks. "A couple of months before" I tell him. He goes away to tell the fettlers.

An hour or so later FAD calls back- "Do you need the car back tonight?" I tell him we don't. "We are struggling to find out what is wrong" he explains. "We need to do a snapshot- we get the download all the data from the cars Babbage Engine and send it to Mazda's Babbage Engine so they can look at it". "OK" I says. "Zoom Zoom".

::-)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5819 on: 17 January, 2015, 07:03:35 pm »
The drains are blocked again. My sewer inspection cover is flooded, so it's a water company job. My bet will be the same place as 9 months ago two doors down. Off to ring UU.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5820 on: 17 January, 2015, 07:15:28 pm »
Or I would ring them if they weren't shut until tomorrow. Would have been nice to put the opening hours on their website. ::-)

Now wondering if blocked drains count as an 'emergency' meaning I can ring the 24hr line.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #5821 on: 17 January, 2015, 08:09:53 pm »
Yes. It is a health hazard
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #5822 on: 18 January, 2015, 06:45:07 pm »
A good source for determining what constitutes an 'emergency' in household repair matters is the Tenants Right to Repair Act. Many sources for this, but an example below.

http://www.bridgewaterha.org.uk/repairs-maintenance-and-emergencies/right-to-repair/

Note the qualification to blocked wc pan.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5823 on: 18 January, 2015, 06:48:24 pm »
They rang me back so I assume it does count. They give themselves 48 hours, so unsurprisingly haven't turned up today.

« Reply #5824 on: 18 January, 2015, 07:27:26 pm »
Family, when I've been 6 hours travelling, and ask to be collected from the stations, please
1) Talk to each other enough to turn up to the right station
2) do not sit in a car with a known doubtful battery for half an hour with the ignition and headlights on but the engine stopped.
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...