Author Topic: Damon Peacock  (Read 14083 times)

RobertW

• Robert
Re: Damon Peacock
« Reply #50 on: 20 June, 2021, 10:04:28 am »
Terribly sad news, my thoughts are with Heather.  I first met Damon & Heather at the 2003 Mersey 24 where they were helpful to me, lending me some kit.  I also recall having a nice chat with Damon on the 2013 LEL while he was filming me N of the Humber Bridge early on the 2nd morning.

« Reply #51 on: 20 June, 2021, 10:26:57 am »
Shocking News . I met him on many Audax events , Paris Brest Paris,24 Hour and Lejog with Mike Braodwith and the Arctic Aircon RT. He will be sadly missed . Condolences to Heather and Family . From all at the Arctic Aircon RT

« Reply #52 on: 20 June, 2021, 11:15:04 am »
Shocked.  RIP, Damon.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #53 on: 20 June, 2021, 12:18:39 pm »
I am so very sorry to hear this. Damon and I first rode together while qualifying for PBP03, later for much of LEL05 and on random occasions since. He was a big, powerful rider on flat ground and similar challenged on hills as me. We rode well together and I always enjoyed his knowledge, his views on all sorts of subjects and his banter, both on and off the bike. I always looked forward to the next time we could ride together or even just chat by the side of the road and I had hoped that it could continue for the next 20 years or more. I am devastated that this will never happen again. My heart goes out to Heather.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #54 on: 20 June, 2021, 12:31:17 pm »
So shocked and sorry to hear this. We met  him numerous times in the UK and at PBPs.
Condolences to Heather and family from both tandem things.
California Dreaming

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #55 on: 20 June, 2021, 12:33:58 pm »
It's really hard to take this awful news. I met Damon several times over my first few years of Audaxing. Including LEL 2013, PBP 2015 and a couple of AUK reunions.
He was always a real gent and a boost to morale on the longer rides. Just such a good wholesome person with interests well beyond cycling, which was a big passion.
Depression blights so many lives, personally I have lost a few people over the years this way, each one a lovely person, hearing this today is just awful.
RIP Damon, and my thoughts are with Heather.
x
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #56 on: 20 June, 2021, 01:10:57 pm »
Terribly sad.  My condolences to Heather and all coming to terms with a Damon shaped void in the world.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #57 on: 20 June, 2021, 01:17:42 pm »
I'm stunned by this news, Damon was a well read, well spoken guy who had many skills, he was also a very nice person. I was fortunate to be included in some of his videos, I also rode with him on the East & West coasts 600 in 2015, he will be missed by many, RIP Damon.

« Reply #58 on: 20 June, 2021, 01:32:58 pm »
Not met in person, but familiar with him from many years on here and before.  Such sad news.  My condolences to those left behind in what will be a very hard time.

With such a recognition of positivity to him, I hope that the community can rally and support whilst also giving privacy and respect.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #59 on: 20 June, 2021, 01:58:11 pm »
Stunned. Like Nutty, never met him but well aware of his work. Depression is a right bastard - I lost an Audax chum to it a few years back, a gentle Irishman whom I am sure was known to many here - and lockdown made it ten times worse.

My condolences to his wife and family.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #60 on: 20 June, 2021, 02:11:38 pm »
I'm saddened to hear this terrible news. His videos were a great inspiration to me and encouraged me to ride PBP. His death leaves a massive hole in the cycling world. RIP.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #61 on: 20 June, 2021, 02:32:41 pm »
Is there a YouTube channel of his work?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #62 on: 20 June, 2021, 02:42:54 pm »
What terrible news. His videos and films were a great inspiration to a generation of audax cyclists. Condolences to Heather and his family and friends.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #63 on: 20 June, 2021, 02:45:18 pm »
Two memories that sprung to mind for me - stomping up some hill on PBP, looking to crack a PB, and turning up on a nice hefty motorbike at the St Ives control on LEL 2017 - two occasions that would seem to be a far cry from the state of mind he obviously found himself in later on.

Condolences to those closest to Damon - really terrible news for them.
Garry Broad

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #64 on: 20 June, 2021, 03:50:31 pm »
Heart-breaking news.

A passionate, intelligent man with a great way of explaining and showing our niche world.

He was always great to see on the road, or at a control; whether he had camera or a teapot in his hands.

Desperately sad and my thoughts are with Heather and all those who loved him.

I hope the wind is at his back and the soundtrack of disco that accompanied so many of his films is playing loud and funky.

Ride on, Damon; ride on.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #65 on: 20 June, 2021, 03:52:00 pm »
Such sad news. I was thinking of him this weekend when playing with my drone, wondering what audax films he'd be able to make with one.

I remember him from several rides, but in particular from when I did the Pendle 600. He'd teased me earlier in the ride that I wouldn't make it up Hardknott. When I got there, there he was with a camera with encouraging words.

So sorry to hear this.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

« Reply #66 on: 20 June, 2021, 04:36:02 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/user/damonpeacock/videos

Also on Vimeo, just search by name.

« Reply #67 on: 20 June, 2021, 04:50:38 pm »
Damon, I hope that some-how and some-where you are at peace now.  I never realised Damon suffered with depression.  He was one of those people who seemed to pop up everywhere - LEL, PBP, the 24hr and some of the tougher northern rides.  We'd chatted many times, but I only actually rode one event with him - he had obviously 'been there and got the t-shirt', it may have been the Llanfair PG, I can't remember, but it was always a pleasure to see him.

« Reply #68 on: 20 June, 2021, 05:01:23 pm »
I'll remember him on my ride over Yad Moss next week - one of his favourite filming vantage points. 

A day later and I'm still feeling a great sadness and sense of loss, so can only begin to imagine what it's like for those closest to him.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #69 on: 20 June, 2021, 06:03:54 pm »
Such sad news of such a genuine and accomplished guy. A real gentleman. My condolences to Heather and all who knew him.

« Reply #70 on: 20 June, 2021, 07:55:11 pm »

By the bucket load as he filmed so many LELs & PBPs initially from the saddle then from motorcycles and cars. He captured the PBP story of Rufus tandem trike from his first test ride with his new crew, National 400 to the eliptigo saga on PBP 2015.  Search on YouTube and you will find.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #71 on: 20 June, 2021, 08:01:10 pm »
This is so sad. I never met him, but enjoyed his relaxed videos, about rides, or hedges.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #72 on: 20 June, 2021, 08:08:47 pm »
Very sad to read this. Depression is a terrible illness. Always enjoyed his videos they were brilliant and inspired me to riding LEL.

Rob

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #73 on: 20 June, 2021, 08:30:27 pm »
This is terribly sad news and my heart goes out to Heather. I met Damon only a few times - the first time being on one of the PBP03 qualifiers mentioned by LWaB -and he was always good company. We in the Audax community are greatly blessed by his legacy, a veritable treasure trove of informed, quirky and always entertaining films. Let's remember him for those and be thankful that he was there for us.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #74 on: 20 June, 2021, 09:10:49 pm »
So sad.  My thoughts are with his family and friends at this time.  :'(