Author Topic: Edinburgh  (Read 16875 times)

blackpuddinonnabike

Re: Edinburgh
« Reply #75 on: 20 November, 2008, 05:10:27 pm »
Chips and sauce (is that an Embra thing?).

Salt n' sass

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #76 on: 20 November, 2008, 05:14:05 pm »

Sottysoss.

(Sorry BPOAB, you must live in a posh area!)
It is simpler than it looks.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #77 on: 20 November, 2008, 05:19:19 pm »
Sotnsoss.

I like my chips with vinegar. Lots and lots of vinegar and maybe some HP Sauce, but I'm not fond of Embra chippy soss.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #78 on: 20 November, 2008, 05:22:30 pm »
I like it. Or lashings of curry sauce. And a pickled onion.

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #79 on: 20 November, 2008, 05:23:24 pm »
I hated chipper 'sauce' when I first tried it and have gradually been worn down to the point that it's now weird NOT having it...

I'm not sure I'd call the Mountcastle chipper 'posh'. Alba D'Oro where I used to go on the other hand, you could by your fish supper (remember, not 'and chips' but 'supper') with a bottle of Krug...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #80 on: 20 November, 2008, 05:25:58 pm »

I'm not sure I'd call the Mountcastle chipper 'posh'.

Is it posher than the Duddingston Fry?

ETA: Oh, Kathy and Tim, because of where you're staying, you might be tempted to get the no14 bus into town or back down Leith Walk again. Try not to. The Lothian Buses drivers know it as the Methadone Express (and the no8 is Son of Methadone). It can be a little unnerving if you're not used to it. It's a bus of insania. Rarely does one get off the no14 without a story to tell. You're unlikely to come to any harm, but it might haunt your dreams for a while.

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #81 on: 20 November, 2008, 05:28:00 pm »
Hmmm, my chipper serving Piershill is trumped by the Duddingston Fry with Niddrie and Craigmillar on the doorstep I guess. Been tempted to go in though, it actually looks like a good chipper!

There's one near my work on Drumsheugh that is great!

« Reply #82 on: 20 November, 2008, 05:29:21 pm »
I'm afraid to confess I now go to the rather posh Tailend on Leith Walk - it's too good not to.

It gets a weird mix of terribly nice people from the New Town (massive assumption! Maybe they're from Pilrig and just talk proppa) and pissed locals. Which includes me, I suppose!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #83 on: 20 November, 2008, 05:30:15 pm »
The Duddingston Fry's not bad. We go there on Friday lunchtimes sometime. Or I go and bring back an order for the office in my panniers.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #84 on: 20 November, 2008, 06:53:51 pm »
Let's take them to a chippy for haggis in batter, white pudding in batter, sausage in batter, black pudding in batter and a deep-fried pizza, washed down with Irn Bru and followed by a Tunnocks Caramel Wafer.
I hope that's going to be a deep fried caramel wafer!?

<mmmmm....caramel waferrrrr> :P
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #85 on: 20 November, 2008, 07:42:55 pm »
Going back to the subject of restaurants, I can recommend Librizzi's at the east end of Queen St - its owned by the family of  Commonwealth track sprinter Marco Librizzi.  We've been several times and have always found a great atmosphere, excellent service, and, not least, really fantastic Sicilian food. 
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #86 on: 20 November, 2008, 08:06:19 pm »
I once found a fantastic Italian down towards Leith direction from around where Sandy Gilchrist's shop is/was.

It was in a terrace of houses, look twice and you'd miss it, but inside was this fairly small restaurant that seemed to be world famous (going by the press cuttings). Fabulous food. Anyone know its name?

« Reply #87 on: 20 November, 2008, 08:08:50 pm »
Em... Tinelli's? It's called Al Dente now, which seems a bit naff.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #88 on: 20 November, 2008, 08:27:45 pm »
It's a lovely shop. I want breakfast there too now. And lunch/dinner. And dinner/tea. And elevenses. And *checks clock* fourtwentyfiveses.

Defn'tly on the list of places to drink 'spresso in! 8)

Out of curiosity, is there anywhere in Edinburgh likely to sell more obscure types of mead that we can't get down south? Google has failed me ("Do you mean "Edinburgh bead shops"?). >:(

My best guess would be Cornelius, at the top of Easter Road, about 5-10 minutes walk east of your hostel. Damned good beer shop that does have the occasional very obscure stuff in there.

I've got a vague recollection of somewhere on Victoria Street selling mead, but that might be me making things up in my head and believing them.

There used to be a honey shop there.  Apart from the other tips, Valvona & Crolla might have mead themselves.

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #89 on: 20 November, 2008, 10:55:14 pm »
Em... Tinelli's? It's called Al Dente now, which seems a bit naff.

Aye, Tinelli's is gone - the owners are completely different.

Best Italian in the city now is Bella Mbriana down Broughton Street...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #90 on: 21 November, 2008, 01:45:32 am »

There used to be a honey shop there.  Apart from the other tips, Valvona & Crolla might have mead themselves.

Mead themselves what?

It is simpler than it looks.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #91 on: 21 November, 2008, 12:49:20 pm »
I hope we recognise each other. I don't want to walk round the pub asking couples if they're Tim and Kathy - I could end up being tricked into a threesome with a fake Kathy and Tim!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #92 on: 21 November, 2008, 02:10:27 pm »
Right, I'm off to do my last visit of the week. See you laterz.

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #93 on: 21 November, 2008, 02:17:41 pm »
I hope we recognise each other. I don't want to walk round the pub asking couples if they're Tim and Kathy - I could end up being tricked into a threesome with a fake Kathy and Tim!

You wish!

« Reply #94 on: 21 November, 2008, 03:10:10 pm »

Think that you've just scared the living daylights out of Tim & Kathy  :o :-*

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #95 on: 21 November, 2008, 03:44:39 pm »

OT - I had an American friend visiting a while back and we went for chips. Conversation between him and the guy in the chippy -

"This is really good, what do you call that Brown Sauce?"
"Brown Sauce"
"Yes, the Brown Sauce, what do you call it?"
"Brown Sauce"
"But what's its name?"
"Brown Sauce"
"But..."

::-)
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #96 on: 22 November, 2008, 02:56:52 pm »
That was a fun night with Tim and Kathy and Ariadne and bpoab. I'm not sure why I feel a bit headachey today. Must have been a dodgy pizza. I'm sure it's not anything to do with the gallon of wine I drank.

« Reply #97 on: 24 November, 2008, 02:19:09 am »
That was a fun night with Tim and Kathy and Ariadne and bpoab. I'm not sure why I feel a bit headachey today. Must have been a dodgy pizza. I'm sure it's not anything to do with the gallon of wine I drank.

We are hoem.

It was nice meeting people.

Trains are shit.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #98 on: 24 November, 2008, 02:43:40 am »
I'm gutted I missed you both. Would have been nice to say hello and meet a few more of the Edinburgh crowd.

Hope you had fun.

« Reply #99 on: 24 November, 2008, 12:54:13 pm »
Trains are shit.

I could have told you that without you having to try to go to Edinburger to find out.