Author Topic: Essex Friday Night Ride to the Pub  (Read 134738 times)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
Re: Essex Friday Night Ride to the Pub
« Reply #125 on: 26 February, 2009, 05:18:25 pm »
Mark, I think you've missing the point, these rides aren't strenuous.  I have no doubt whatsoever that you will be physically capable of taking part, irrespective of what you've just done! :thumbsup:

Excellent.  Subject to governmental approval I'd be in for the 27th then.  I may or may not feel like tackling North Hill en-route. :-\
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #126 on: 26 February, 2009, 05:20:22 pm »
I may or may not feel like tackling North Hill en-route. :-\
We usually do it 2 to 3 times for a laugh and to build up a thirst.  ;)
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #127 on: 26 February, 2009, 06:09:23 pm »
The WARTY is on 21st so I suggest 27th.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #128 on: 26 February, 2009, 06:25:26 pm »
I may or may not feel like tackling North Hill en-route. :-\
We usually do it 2 to 3 times for a laugh and to build up a thirst.  ;)

I have a new plan. 

Half of us will sit outside The Rodney (with pints, obviously) which is half way up North Hill and the rest of us will sit outside The Generals Arms (with pints) which is at the top of North Hill.  We will be able to watch Fatters go up and down 2 or 3 times, having a laugh as he pedals and getting thirsty.  Sitting outside two pubs is required to ensure he doesn't cheat.

I commend this plan to the House. 

« Reply #129 on: 26 February, 2009, 06:33:35 pm »
I like it and would like to sit and drink at the top of the hill. We will have to elect a lung picker upper and grit plucker though!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #130 on: 26 February, 2009, 07:57:44 pm »
I like it and would like to sit and drink at the top of the hill. We will have to elect a lung picker upper and grit plucker though!

Is it possible to charge a defibrillator from a dynohub?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #131 on: 26 February, 2009, 11:21:32 pm »

Is it possible to charge a defibrillator from a dynohub?

I doubt it. You'd need a lot more volts than that for FB. ;)

« Reply #132 on: 27 February, 2009, 10:02:20 am »
We will have to elect a lung picker upper and grit plucker though!

I'll volunteer for this - so I can laugh at FB in distress every inch of the way! :demon: ;)

« Reply #133 on: 27 February, 2009, 11:50:44 am »
Hopefully the weather will be good as I refuse to go into The General's Arms again after they charged me 7 quid for a poxy sandwich. It will have to be someone else's round as I refuse to give them any of my money!!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #134 on: 27 February, 2009, 12:16:04 pm »
It is an amazing rip-off in there. I got a round in - 2 beers and a gin & tonic, and it came to over £10.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #135 on: 27 February, 2009, 02:51:28 pm »
Hopefully the weather will be good as I refuse to go into The General's Arms again after they charged me 7 quid for a poxy sandwich. It will have to be someone else's round as I refuse to give them any of my money!!

Shouldnt' you pace him from the fron and pull the lead-out sprint for him on the approach to the top of the hill?

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #136 on: 27 February, 2009, 04:32:08 pm »
hmm... I must learn to read what comes on screen when I use the preview button  :-[

Shouldnt' you pace him from the fron and pull the lead-out sprint for him on the approach to the top of the hill?

I seem to have pressed the "reply with quote button" on the wrong post there - it was meant to quote the following from TOK...

We will have to elect a lung picker upper and grit plucker though!

I'll volunteer for this - so I can laugh at FB in distress every inch of the way! :demon: ;)

Then it makes much more sense when I say "Shouldn't you pace him from the front and pull the lead-out sprint for him on the approach to the top of the hill?"

Oscar's dad

« Reply #137 on: 14 March, 2009, 11:14:44 am »
Assuming the next ride takes place on Friday 27th (hope it does) I have unwittingly organised a Hair of the Dog Ride the day after.

« Reply #138 on: 14 March, 2009, 07:17:15 pm »
Assuming the next ride takes place on Friday 27th (hope it does) I have unwittingly organised a Hair of the Dog Ride the day after.
A wise decision as I'm sure the good people of Mill Green have yet to hear you sing. I shall be attending the Viper as it is a very good venue.

Wow seems to have himself on the FNRttS.  ???

Oscar's dad

« Reply #139 on: 14 March, 2009, 07:23:00 pm »

A wise decision as I'm sure the good people of Mill Green have yet to hear you sing. I shall be attending the Viper as it is a very good venue.

Wow seems to have himself on the FNRttS.  ???

Shall I expand my repertoire?  I know one or two hymns.  Perhaps we could offer the good people of Mill Green moral salvation?

« Reply #140 on: 14 March, 2009, 07:40:20 pm »
Shall I expand my repertoire?  I know one or two hymns.  Perhaps we could offer the good people of Mill Green moral salvation?
Only if we can't get to the bar should you start singing!  :P That'll clear the place out and we'll have it to ourselves.  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #141 on: 15 March, 2009, 08:54:45 am »
Only if we can't get to the bar should you start singing!  :P That'll clear the place out and we'll have it to ourselves.  :thumbsup:

Harsh with only the merest hint of fairness.  I will have you know I have sung live at the Albert Hall with Rolf Harris (no, really I have - honest, I'm not making it up)

« Reply #142 on: 23 March, 2009, 09:51:53 am »
Can someone remind where this Friday's booze up is?

Ta.

« Reply #143 on: 23 March, 2009, 10:30:55 am »
Clicky. The Anchor, North Fambridge, unless things have changed.

Edit: It's not the Anchor, that was a pub in South Fambridge, now demolished. The Ferry Boat N. Fambridge.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #144 on: 23 March, 2009, 11:31:10 am »

Edit: It's not the Anchor, that was a pub in South Fambridge, now demolished. The Ferry Boat N. Fambridge.

I need to ensure I am fully prepared in both mind and body. Therefore, may enquire whether we are we just hitting the one pub this time or is it another 6 pub extravaganza?  I feel that the 6 pub plan was cruelly hidden from me last time.   ;D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #145 on: 23 March, 2009, 12:29:01 pm »

I need to ensure I am fully prepared in both mind and body. Therefore, may enquire whether we are we just hitting the one pub this time or is it another 6 pub extravaganza?  I feel that the 6 pub plan was cruelly hidden from me last time.   ;D

Could do more than one if you want. Last time I went through, the Norton in Cold Norton was closed. I may be having a pub lunch in East Hanningfield on Friday and may therefore be riding around for a bit before we meet. This is to be confirmed.

And indeed the 6-pub plan was neither cruel nor hidden. It was advertised in advance and you clearly enjoyed yourself like a newt.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #146 on: 23 March, 2009, 01:06:28 pm »

And indeed the 6-pub plan was neither cruel nor hidden. It was advertised in advance and you clearly enjoyed yourself like a newt.

;D  I blame my Quaker upbringing!

« Reply #147 on: 23 March, 2009, 04:12:49 pm »
Mmmm.... Hopefully I'll be able to make it. I really don't know the roads in that wrong part of the county, so the beer radar won't work!

All depends on what time I can leave work....

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #148 on: 23 March, 2009, 04:22:00 pm »

Could do more than one if you want. Last time I went through, the Norton in Cold Norton was closed. I may be having a pub lunch in East Hanningfield on Friday and may therefore be riding around for a bit before we meet. This is to be confirmed.

If I remember your proposed route from Battlesbridge to N. Fambridge, it goes right past or very close to a CAMRA Good Beer Guide (at least in 2008, I don't have the 2009 one yet) pub, The Prince of Wales at Stow Maries.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #149 on: 23 March, 2009, 04:23:48 pm »
Mmmm.... Hopefully I'll be able to make it. I really don't know the roads in that wrong part of the county, so the beer radar won't work!

All depends on what time I can leave work....

You need one of those SPG (or it it PSG, or perhaps GPS?) thingies.  I've got one.  It has turned me from a complete navigational forkwit to a cyclist that is more than likely certain to turn up at his intended destination but not necessarily by the route that he intended.  That's significant progress.