Author Topic: Cycle Show Mondays from 23 July on ITV4  (Read 26186 times)

Cycle Show Mondays from 23 July on ITV4
« on: 16 July, 2012, 09:00:22 pm »
Who's going to try it?

John Henry

Re: Cycle Show Mondays from 23 July on ITV4
« Reply #1 on: 16 July, 2012, 09:04:36 pm »
It would be rude not to.

Just hoping that it isn't to bikes what 'Top Gear' is to cars.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2 on: 16 July, 2012, 09:05:43 pm »
After seeing a trailer on the ITV4 coverage, earlier, I have now set the MythTV box to record it.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #3 on: 16 July, 2012, 10:13:31 pm »
I'm going to.  Even if it is a bit top gear like.  In fact.  Imagine Hayles and Co challenging Clarkson and co to a double-header.  The cycle-boys take on the car-boyos in a reasonably priced car and the car boyos have to give it a go on the rollers....  ;D
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #4 on: 16 July, 2012, 10:36:52 pm »
They've scheduled it at the same time as University Challenge, the eejits!

« Reply #5 on: 16 July, 2012, 10:39:20 pm »

How did York do tonight, by the way? I only caught the end and saw that York were on.

I'll definitely watch the show. It's about time. I imagine, though, that it'll be aimed at beginners and a general audience, so the TV equivalent of Cycling Plus.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6 on: 16 July, 2012, 11:05:17 pm »
If they ever put ITV4 back on the freeview transmitters round here* then I may be able to watch it :(

*if you can't supply the whole of freeview, why the hell do you take channels off the system to put HD copies of others on (at 3-4 SD channels per HD channel)?
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #7 on: 16 July, 2012, 11:12:02 pm »

How did York do tonight, by the way? I only caught the end and saw that York were on.

I'll definitely watch the show. It's about time. I imagine, though, that it'll be aimed at beginners and a general audience, so the TV equivalent of Cycling Plus.

...or Cycling Active maybe?

As for the program: I wish we'd been drawn opposite Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and sodding Dance!  The scores remained close for a lot of the time, but ended in an exact reversal of last year's York match. 

« Reply #8 on: 16 July, 2012, 11:31:57 pm »
I'm going to.  Even if it is a bit top gear like.  In fact.  Imagine Hayles and Co challenging Clarkson and co to a double-header.  The cycle-boys take on the car-boyos in a reasonably priced car and the car boyos have to give it a go on the rollers....  ;D
You're giving me visions of Jeremy Clarkson doing two laps of an airfield on a reasonably-priced BSO...

LEE

« Reply #9 on: 17 July, 2012, 03:51:09 pm »
Waiting patiently for the YACF pedantic moan-fest that usually follows any cycling on TV.

I think we should all prepare for the TV show by taking 30 minutes to relax, breathe deeply and try to remember that not everyone is all that bothered about the correct way to thread the leather straps on Carradice saddlebags. (I suppose this could be covered by a James May character if we are making a Top Gear analogy).

« Reply #10 on: 17 July, 2012, 03:55:37 pm »
d try to remember that not everyone is all that bothered about the correct way to thread the leather straps on Carradice saddlebags.
Why the hell not? It's important!

For pete's sakes, people need to get a sense of proportion, stop waffling about 'helmets', undertaking tipper lorries driven by homicidal maniacs, and start looking into the really important matters.

Cotton duck

Quill stems

Reynolds tubing

These are the things that made the British Empire the Great British Empire.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LEE

« Reply #11 on: 17 July, 2012, 05:39:42 pm »
d try to remember that not everyone is all that bothered about the correct way to thread the leather straps on Carradice saddlebags.
Why the hell not? It's important!

For pete's sakes, people need to get a sense of proportion, stop waffling about 'helmets', undertaking tipper lorries driven by homicidal maniacs, and start looking into the really important matters.

Cotton duck

Quill stems

Reynolds tubing

These are the things that made the British Empire the Great British Empire.

And maybe the only things we are still actually manufacturing

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 17 July, 2012, 06:43:26 pm »
Maybe a bit of pedal-powered Top Gear wouldn't actually a bad thing?

I mean, those of us with an advanced interest in pingfuckits or Carradice threading are always going to find better quality information and discussion on the interweb.

A bit of light-hearted bikey fun (with a spattering of useful info for beginners) could be just the thing.  Imagine a television version of this article, for example.

John Henry

« Reply #13 on: 17 July, 2012, 06:57:32 pm »

I mean, those of us with an advanced interest in pingfuckits or Carradice threading are always going to find better quality information and discussion on the interweb.

A bit of light-hearted bikey fun (with a spattering of useful info for beginners) could be just the thing.

That's true. I don't want dull and earnest. I would want light-hearted bikey fun. When I say I don't want it to be to bikes what Top Gear is to cars, I mean... well, Top Gear is mainly about the presenters showing off these days, isn't it? Some bike content would be good.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 17 July, 2012, 06:59:39 pm »
I must confess to not really having seen much Top Gear since it was still doing an impression of a car show.  I think the last full episode I saw was the one where they did the car vs bike vs tube vs boat race across London - which is exactly the sort of thing that would fit in on a light-hearted bikey fun show.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 17 July, 2012, 07:46:03 pm »

A bit of light-hearted bikey fun (with a spattering of useful info for beginners) could be just the thing.

That's true. I don't want dull and earnest. I would want light-hearted bikey fun. When I say I don't want it to be to bikes what Top Gear is to cars, I mean... well, Top Gear is mainly about the presenters showing off these days, isn't it? Some bike content would be good.
The discussion of ping-fuckit alloy grades and so-on is NOT best suited to the TV format. Some light-hearted discussion, good visual stuff etc IS.

TG gets some of this right - the problem is that it went too far, becoming (as JH says) a sort of poor comedy show. Perhaps Tomorrow's World would be a better template? Or Bob Fleming, Carl Hooper, Prof Denzil Dexter ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LindaG

« Reply #16 on: 23 July, 2012, 08:36:05 pm »
Nigel Mansell?  Really?

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #17 on: 23 July, 2012, 08:37:56 pm »
Just saw it.. was pretty good!

Better than I thought it would be.

You just have to be joking .... 100% unadulterated crap. 

Obree ? what was he saying? - Mansell ? - why was he there? - just kept on using the Cav word "incredible" ... and Fisher ... what was that all about ... the only bit of remote value was Wayne Hemingway.

Totally out of touch ...

Rob

John Henry

« Reply #18 on: 23 July, 2012, 08:43:14 pm »
Liked the pre-recorded sections, cringed at the drivel being spouted in the chatty bits on the sofa.

I always thought Mansell was a self-aggrandising knob when he was in F1, and this evening confirmed it.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #19 on: 23 July, 2012, 08:52:41 pm »
Just saw it.. was pretty good!

Better than I thought it would be.

You just have to be joking .... 100% unadulterated crap. 

Obree ? what was he saying? - Mansell ? - why was he there? - just kept on using the Cav word "incredible" ... and Fisher ... what was that all about ... the only bit of remote value was Wayne Hemingway.

Totally out of touch ...

Rob

On further reflection ... as soon as I saw it was at Look Mum No Hands I should have realised it was going to be all FaceTwit and no substance.  Just lacked some couriers with no-brake fixies that were the typical LMNH customers the twice I've been there (had the lights pinched off my bike the second time)

.. and the presenter ????

Rob

« Reply #20 on: 23 July, 2012, 08:58:23 pm »
Well I liked it. As above, pitched at a general interest level.

LindaG

« Reply #21 on: 23 July, 2012, 09:05:14 pm »
The bit about the Olympic RR was OK.

LindaG

« Reply #22 on: 23 July, 2012, 09:08:24 pm »
However. I don't appreciate being told to wear a magic hat by a petrolhead who can't keep his bike the right way up.

Graeme Obree was great! He gabbled a bit at first which sounded like nerves but I liked his safety advice.

« Reply #23 on: 23 July, 2012, 09:16:16 pm »
Nigel Mansell just gave some personal advice about wearing helmets. What's so wrong with that?

Most of the programme was crap in my opinion. Guests trying to be heard over cafe background noise didn't help either.

I hope it gets better as I really got my hopes up for this.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #24 on: 23 July, 2012, 09:17:09 pm »
The ITV player link is broked so I can't watch it :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!