Author Topic: First sportive...  (Read 10663 times)

Re: First sportive...
« Reply #50 on: 28 April, 2013, 04:47:05 pm »
As for your other comments: the cycling press and the media are full of positive marketing for sportives - why shouldn't a few YACFers express contrary views? It's a drop in the ocean.

Totally agree and the basis of democracy which I cherish.  I was merely commenting that it is good to see positive comments and there was no hidden sub-text or agenda implied.  I thought contrary views was what keeps the Forum alive!

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #51 on: 28 April, 2013, 04:49:58 pm »
As for your other comments: the cycling press and the media are full of positive marketing for sportives - why shouldn't a few YACFers express contrary views? It's a drop in the ocean.

Totally agree and the basis of democracy which I cherish.  I was merely commenting that it is good to see positive comments and there was no hidden sub-text or agenda implied.  I thought contrary views was what keeps the Forum alive!

What he said - I was rather expecting it to be shite given  what I've seen on here comments wise.  It wasn't. 'Tis all.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #52 on: 20 May, 2013, 10:26:32 pm »
Did my first sportive, the medium-ish route of the Wight Riviera Sportive yesterday - hilliest ride I've ever done; one climb of varying magnitude and descent followed by another - with a flat bit (and head wind) on Military Rd.  Weather was cloudy with occasional light rain.  Aparently I burned off 2500 kcal - doesn't sound that impressive.  It was a big event, start and finish in Yarmouth - marquee, brass band tent, loos, St Johns ambulance,  bike mechs etc, marshalls all over the roads for the first closed 25km (a few cars ignored this).  People were out clapping as we went by in Yarmouth.  Complex signage for the different routes, though some brightspark removed the Short Route turning - so some ended up doing longer rides.  Motorcycles doing the rounds, checkpoints and timing chip detectors.  Have to say that I really needed the half way checkpoint with flapjack, jelly beans and orange 1/4s.  At the finish picked up the 'freebee' T-shirt, cup of tea, muffin, and tub of IofW ice cream.  Anyway, I'm glad I did it for the experience, good challenging ride, and I'd never been on the IofW before, but I'd probably be thinking twice before doing it again, as it was a pricey weekend with petrol/ferry/campsite/meal out (Bugle - Doom bar on tap)/entrance fee...

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #53 on: 20 May, 2013, 11:12:30 pm »
"Orange 1/4s" ?!

What next - jumpers for goalposts? Retro-tastic!

Glad you had fun Andy, the IofW has some great hills roads.

[I'm sure we can find some cheaper ways for you to enjoy them
; )]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #54 on: 20 May, 2013, 11:39:25 pm »
Live n'learn.  ;)  Cheapest from here would be to pick any good day, go early to Lymington - foot passenger on Wightlink  (~£12rtn), ride all day, jump on next ferry back; but time it right, as this poor chap didn't...

PS.  This is a crop from a much larger pic...

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #55 on: 21 May, 2013, 10:33:51 am »
Hi Andy

Glad you had a good ride!  IOW is good cycling. 
If you're interested a load of us from Abingdon will probably bimble down in September at the time of the BHF ride to do the round the Island route  Have done it a few times nowIt'll be a day-trip with pub lunch and a few beers after and the ferry home.  Bundling as much kit into as few cars as possible makes it a fairly cheap and easy day out, park at Lymington and enjoy the ferry.
FF.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #56 on: 21 May, 2013, 10:53:25 am »
Good work Andy, glad you enjoyed it  :thumbsup:
It's a reverse Elvis thing.