Author Topic: corrupted excel file  (Read 2731 times)

ian

Re: corrupted excel file
« Reply #25 on: 13 July, 2020, 12:59:50 pm »
Excel can do what it wants. It became sentient in 1992.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #26 on: 13 July, 2020, 01:08:33 pm »
Why anyone would want this turned off is a mystery to this Unit

Makes it easier to create files with names like AAAASheila.doc.DOC or dancingpigs.avi.exe, innit.

Windows 95 copying Mac OS <X wotsit eh no...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #27 on: 13 July, 2020, 10:04:14 pm »
it was updated from an earlier file, the most likely is that when given the multitude of xls@ file tags, I just picked the m flavour at random
all the pervious iteractions back to 2017 are xlsm with no issues and this one was going fine until last Thursday, I find it odd that a bit of malware would wait four years to go "Boo!"
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #28 on: 13 July, 2020, 11:00:20 pm »
If the extension is legacy, then as you say, no worries, you could always use the xlsm if you wanted to.

Davef

« Reply #29 on: 14 July, 2020, 10:49:25 am »
Excel is quite happy for file extensions being “wrong” and only in recent versions even warns you.

For example you could create a file called test.xls using your text editor of choice and type in

<html>
<table>
<tr><td>this</td><td>works</td></tr>
<tr><td>quite</td><td>well</td></tr>
</table>
</html>

Double click on it and it will open in excel (after a warning in more recent editions).

I would double check it is not your antivirus that has taken a dislike to your particular excel spreadsheet. If so it may have kept an unzeroed copy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ian

« Reply #30 on: 14 July, 2020, 11:08:25 am »
Hourly backups are your friend. Excel likes the sort of 'this file in invalid' errors, they usually seem to result from the system running out of memory (it's a hog) and consequently when you think you've saved something, you've saved a nothing. Still, it's compact, you can reduce 350 MB to 128 kB this way. It's a toss-up whether the pretend save is an improvement on the 'this file cannot be saved' error (ah, you think, I'll copy and paste this to a new black workbook, but they've thought of that, what's that again Excel, this operation cannot be completed). Computer says no.

« Reply #31 on: 22 July, 2020, 05:50:50 pm »
What version of Windows is it?

More modern versions have something called file history. So independent of what excel is up to, the OS may have still have a copy of the working version, and be in a position to restore it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17128/windows-8-file-history